Mr Men is sexist

62tucker

Site Supporter

It was meant as an innocuous joke to amuse young children.
But on Monday Mr Men found itself at the centre of a sexism storm when a feminist academic condemned a gag as an example of "mansplaining".
The claims centre on a conversation between Mr Clever and Little Miss Curious, and a pun about the Forth Bridge in Scotland.
An exasperated Mr Clever explains the Unesco site is so-called because of the Forth River, after Little Miss Curious asks “what happened to the First, the Second and the Third Bridges”
It resulted in a backlash from PhD student Shelby Judge. She accused Roger Hargreaves’ long-running series of perpetuating “antiquated gender roles” and branded its illustrated characters part of a “sexist iconography”.

frankg

Site Supporter

It was meant as an innocuous joke to amuse young children.
But on Monday Mr Men found itself at the centre of a sexism storm when a feminist academic condemned a gag as an example of "mansplaining".
The claims centre on a conversation between Mr Clever and Little Miss Curious, and a pun about the Forth Bridge in Scotland.
An exasperated Mr Clever explains the Unesco site is so-called because of the Forth River, after Little Miss Curious asks “what happened to the First, the Second and the Third Bridges”
It resulted in a backlash from PhD student Shelby Judge. She accused Roger Hargreaves’ long-running series of perpetuating “antiquated gender roles” and branded its illustrated characters part of a “sexist iconography”.

That feminist academic needs to get a life!! it's a joke for god's sake!!

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
FFS get a life you stupid bint... there are far too many people who are getting offended by nothing... they really do need a bloody good kick up the arse and told to get on with it... men women and whatever flipping gender you feel you identify with today... the "I'm so offended" groups are getting on me tits

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I reckon Mr Man needs a good flogging for his sins lol

Arry

Site Supporter
No... that stupid bird needs a good flogging for being such a dumb biddy... fer gods sake it's a kids program... you've got better things to waste your time on, than psycho-analysing bloody The Mr Men

62tucker

Site Supporter
FFS get a life you stupid bint... there are far too many people who are getting offended by nothing... they really do need a bloody good kick up the arse and told to get on with it... men women and whatever flipping gender you feel you identify with today... the "I'm so offended" groups are getting on me tits
Sexist that. Can you say Breasts from now on .?

62tucker

Site Supporter
No... that stupid bird needs a good flogging for being such a dumb biddy... fer gods sake it's a kids program... you've got better things to waste your time on, than psycho-analysing bloody The Mr Men
She’s doing a PHD. ?‍♂️
What the chances she a member of extinction rebellion .?

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I think that 99% of people are not offended at all by most of the so called "PC" issues. It is the 1% who do all the shouting and, typically, it is those that get heard and everything gets spoilt for the rest of us:mad: I once had to 'chair' a meeting because a member of the public had heard one of our staff talking to a female colleague in a manner which, said member of the public felt was degrading. The fact that it was a private conversation between 2 adults and the female in question was not offended in the slightest did not make any difference. I was ordered to bring the parties together, reprimand the male and apologise, on behalf of the Civil Service, to the member of the public, the accent IMO should be on the word 'member'.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Here you go. She wants him renamed “ Mr Mansplain “.

Ms Judge, who studied women’s studies for her masters, said that he should be re-named Mr Mansplain.

Read more: Mr Men books 'are sexist' because Mr Clever mansplains to Little Miss Curious
Twitter: Metro (@MetroUK) on Twitter | Facebook: Metro

And what on earth is a master degree in “Women’s Studies”

Arry

Site Supporter
I dunno mate.... us blokes of a certain age are a dying breed... where we take our knocks and abuses with a laugh and a joke and get on with life... now some folks are touchier than a barrel of shaved monkeys and get offended at the least little thing... bet they are all Labour or Lib-dem voters too???

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I dunno mate.... us blokes of a certain age are a dying breed... where we take our knocks and abuses with a laugh and a joke and get on with life... now some folks are touchier than a barrel of shaved monkeys and get offended at the least little thing... bet they are all Labour or Lib-dem voters too???
Shoot em innaface mate:camper:

nejohn

Site Supporter
Here you go. She wants him renamed “ Mr Mansplain “.

Ms Judge, who studied women’s studies for her masters, said that he should be re-named Mr Mansplain.

Read more: Mr Men books 'are sexist' because Mr Clever mansplains to Little Miss Curious
Twitter: Metro (@MetroUK) on Twitter | Facebook: Metro

And what on earth is a master degree in “Women’s Studies”
Surely a degree in 'WOMENS' studies is sexist and not inclusive to start with.....more like a degree in hypocrasy, just like the society of black lawyers always playing the racist card.....surely a society for black lawyers only is racist in itself

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think the joke is men shaming, as I am sure, going by some of the posts on this site, that a lot of the members had no idea why the Forth Road Bridge was so named. ;):p

Arry

Site Supporter
Well the fact it's over the Firth of Forth is a clue

62tucker

Site Supporter
I think the joke is men shaming, as I am sure, going by some of the posts on this site, that a lot of the members had no idea why the Forth Road Bridge was so named. ;):p
I not the best speller but I know the forth from the fourth