Motivation

John Step

Site Supporter
No not at all. I think the secret, for me at least, is multi types of fishing. I consider myself as a jack of all trades and master of non.
I try to get out 3 times a week but sometimes life gets in the way of course.
Winter pike/perch/roach. At the moment I have just clocked up 3 blanks for an elusive big tench so tomorrow its a trip to an easy club lake for hopefully a bend in the rod from a couple of carp.
When it warms a bit the bivvy for some bigger carp then the Trent barbel will beckon in June. Maybe some drop shotting in between?
Blow me winter will arrive again for the predators.

Variety is the spice of life. The problem is there is so much fishing and only one lifetime to do it.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Does anyone else struggle with motivation to prepare to go fishing? Ive not fished since the river closed and not been on a lake since last closed season. Toying with the idea of getting the match gear together but just CBA with going to buy pellets, maggots etc. Tying hooklengths, checking the pole laccies, making up rods/rigs, prepping bait, etc etc. Used to love being ready for matches but now it seems like a faff even though i know it'll be worth it sacking up on a commercial. Come june 16th it'll be a tin o meat and corn, one made up rod a net and a two minute walk to the river. How things have changed. Ive toyed with selling my match gear but i know i'll regret it in the future. Is it normal to fluctuate in passion for angling? Ive been mad keen for over 30 years and this is the first time ive felt like this.
This is why I vary my fishing.
On Sunday after a weekend away fancied a dangle but tired, so grabbed a light lure rod, net, mat and lure bag.
Tuesday, finished work, dinner and saw Mrs R throwing out some bread.
Specimen float rod, mat, landing net and small bag of bits/float tube saw me fishing flake over mashed bread for a few hours sitting on unhooking mat.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I don’t suffer a losss of motivation for fishing and I think it’s because I get rare opportunities for long sessions and only odd little sessions because of work and family commitments.

As the opportunities I do have are all the more precious for their rarity I am generally really keyed up for a few days before prepping everything to make sure I get maximum time on the bank.

I am off on hols all next week (childcare as grandma on a cruise) and have already stocked up on everything I need in the way of bait and end tackle, all the rods & the pole are cleaned and bagged up ready to go and I’ve got a little mental list of days and timings and venues already sorted - I am hoping beyond hope to actually get onto my first ever commercial too.

I guess if the pressures on my my fishing were less then my outlook might be different and maybe one day I may find out - if the lottery pays out :LOL: :LOL:

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Been abstaining for the last week... off to Docklow on Saturday for a week-long trip... when I get back from there, all of my cubs waters will be open again, so I'll be back there with a vengeance...

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The weather is a big factor for some anglers like my dad. It was his idea to go this afternoon after my job this morning. I'm hoping this will be the start of him coming out more again. We'll be going to the park lake and if there's no pegs there, on to the estate lake. Same tackle required for both lakes so a case of grab and go.

alsur

Site Supporter
I'm definitely not as keen as I once was and avoid taking full match kit if possible, weather also plays a part as I'm now retired I prefer not to fish in the rain or when I think weather will effect my catch rate when I can go the next day.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I find that varying the style of fishing helps. However, the biggest trick is to avoid flogging dead horses. I fish for the most viable target species given the conditions and time of year. At the moment, I'm chasing tench, though it's a little hit and miss so far. November through to March will see me concentrating on grayling and chub in the local rivers. If the rivers are too high, I know a stillwater where the big roach are catchable in the coldest conditions. Having plenty of free time and not being tied to going on set days undoubtedly helps a lot. Not having to go when the conditions are dismal is fantastic.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I do loose my motivation every now and again for different types of fishing such as match / sea / game etc., but always mad for fishing in general but I don’t get that many opportunities to go!

When I do know that I can go, I prepare like crazy to make the most of it!

Only fished twice so far this year......1st time was a Tuesday open at Alders in the 1st week of January, the 2nd was last Friday fly fishing on a wild brown trout stream on a private estate in the Cotswolds and the next time will be at the end of the month when i’ll be doing a bit of flattie bashing in Morecambe bay.

For each and every trip I’ll be starting my prep at least 2 weeks in advance and thoroughly enjoying it, it’s all part of it😀
You’re wasting an awful lot of talent mate 🤷‍♂️❤️

crayfishtraps

Site Supporter
im lacking in motivation at the moment...with last years match results..im ok pleasure fishing..but cant put them into match fishing...i sort out a day to go fishing..get my kit ready day before..then sometimes cant be bothered to carry kit out to the car...i book myself into a match once a moth..to get me out...i prefer to have company when i go..to talk to the, while on the bank..but it doesnt happen...which i why i like the maggottdrowners get togethers even if its just once a year...if its the one at alders...pairs match...i feel sorry for who gets drawn as my partner..but i will be there...it doesnt help when i cant find other venues as ive no sense of direction..well no sense rearly.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
im lacking in motivation at the moment...with last years match results..im ok pleasure fishing..but cant put them into match fishing...i sort out a day to go fishing..get my kit ready day before..then sometimes cant be bothered to carry kit out to the car...i book myself into a match once a moth..to get me out...i prefer to have company when i go..to talk to the, while on the bank..but it doesnt happen...which i why i like the maggottdrowners get togethers even if its just once a year...if its the one at alders...pairs match...i feel sorry for who gets drawn as my partner..but i will be there...it doesnt help when i cant find other venues as ive no sense of direction..well no sense rearly.
I’ll partner you Peter more than happily ❤️❤️Just make sure you remember the way 🤣

badgerale

I lost my motivation about half way through my Sunday outing.

I didn't feel like driving far so decided to go to a close by commercial. There are some good roach and perch in there according to the website, so I fancied having a go for these fish which I assumed would be ignored by most.

Inevitably I caught carp. They were your typical 5-10lb commie things with mangled mouths. The other anglers there done about the same.

I just thought to myself 'am I enjoying this?'. Not really, it didn't feel like much of an achievement to land even a double there. I fished on for a while but without much effort, or really caring much if I got a bite.

Probably a few years ago I'd have been buzzing to get so many good size fish on the bank but this time it just felt flat.

I think that's it for me until the rivers open. I'm actually looking forward to getting on some really unproductive stretches and potentially blanking.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Losing your motivation is simply laziness, we all suffer from it. Do not dwell on it just go, once you are by the waterside
you will be fine.

CJROSCOW

Clint
Site Supporter
I lost my motivation about half way through my Sunday outing.

I didn't feel like driving far so decided to go to a close by commercial. There are some good roach and perch in there according to the website, so I fancied having a go for these fish which I assumed would be ignored by most.

Inevitably I caught carp. They were your typical 5-10lb commie things with mangled mouths. The other anglers there done about the same.

I just thought to myself 'am I enjoying this?'. Not really, it didn't feel like much of an achievement to land even a double there. I fished on for a while but without much effort, or really caring much if I got a bite.

Probably a few years ago I'd have been buzzing to get so many good size fish on the bank but this time it just felt flat.

I think that's it for me until the rivers open. I'm actually looking forward to getting on some really unproductive stretches and potentially blanking.
Yup, it just seems so rewarding when you winkle a decent fish out when the odds are against you. I used to love bagging up on skimmers carp in matches and i appeciate that is a skill and not easy to do either but it doesn't please me like it used to.

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
I'm übermotivated. Having been ill for the last couple of years, I have a lot of catching up to do. My main target for this season is to fish as much as possible. Nothing will stop me now.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
You've got to make the time :)

It sounds like a cliche but it's a fact. The hardest thing I found was working all week, most Saturdays are tied up one way or another, and Sundays were my only day off as such with home stuff, work prep, visits, etc vying for that day.
In the end it was my missus who just said - "Go fishing!"
I'm sure she just wanted me out from under her feet lol

Now Sundays are specifically my day, and I've got the bug again, self-committing to a series of open matches on a local to me pond, no crack of dawn starts and a 50mile each way trek makes it even more appealing. Plus they're a good bunch of lads, a great little fishery, and sensible entry fees/pools.
And once the rivers open up again I'll be venturing further afield and the rods will be coming out of hibernation, the match gear washed down and put away, only coming out for MD's matches, invites, and the annual trip to Cornwall.