Motivation

CJROSCOW

Clint
Site Supporter
Does anyone else struggle with motivation to prepare to go fishing? Ive not fished since the river closed and not been on a lake since last closed season. Toying with the idea of getting the match gear together but just CBA with going to buy pellets, maggots etc. Tying hooklengths, checking the pole laccies, making up rods/rigs, prepping bait, etc etc. Used to love being ready for matches but now it seems like a faff even though i know it'll be worth it sacking up on a commercial. Come june 16th it'll be a tin o meat and corn, one made up rod a net and a two minute walk to the river. How things have changed. Ive toyed with selling my match gear but i know i'll regret it in the future. Is it normal to fluctuate in passion for angling? Ive been mad keen for over 30 years and this is the first time ive felt like this.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Does anyone else struggle with motivation to prepare to go fishing? Ive not fished since the river closed and not been on a lake since last closed season. Toying with the idea of getting the match gear together but just CBA with going to buy pellets, maggots etc. Tying hooklengths, checking the pole laccies, making up rods/rigs, prepping bait, etc etc. Used to love being ready for matches but now it seems like a faff even though i know it'll be worth it sacking up on a commercial. Come june 16th it'll be a tin o meat and corn, one made up rod a net and a two minute walk to the river. How things have changed. Ive toyed with selling my match gear but i know i'll regret it in the future. Is it normal to fluctuate in passion for angling? Ive been mad keen for over 30 years and this is the first time ive felt like this.
I'm the same mate,I used to spend hours on prep now I find excuses not to go !,couplesd with having a bad back it's beginning to be too much trouble but like you i know if I sell all my pole gear etc I'll regret it once the weather gets better.

Wrongfoot

Yes completely normal, often with changes in circumstance and mental state.
The obvious question is what is the rest of your life like? Time pressures and tiredness (stress related) put me off the types of angling that need more preparation or travel simply because it's too much faff in an already pressured life. Injury makes hauling kit hard work too...

To be honest I'm more surprised you've managed 30yrs without such a blip.

I wouldn't sell unless you've another purpose for the money, the opportunity cost of buying everything again is a real hurdle to resuming a sport.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Tackle is ready, most of the prep done. I tend to do mine when stuff like Coronhorror Street and/or when Emmerfail makes that daft start up music. That's all the inspiration I need to sort out tackle.

JimM

I'm feeling a bit inadequate as my prep takes me about 2 mins. Why not simplify your setup for a couple of sessions just to get you out . My rods are left ready to go from the previous session, use ready tied rigs and bait consists of a couple of pints of maggots grabbed from the local tackle shop whilst at work the day before. Rods, tackle bag, chair and net in the car and away I go. I fish a local club pond, it's not prolific so no huge bags but for me it's just about being on the bank. Not for everyone I know but may be worth a try.

nejohn

Site Supporter
As above you can fish a still water with very little prep and take a similar approach to your river fishing, a couple of rods ready made up 1 waggler and 1 lead/feeder, a pint of maggots, tin of corn and a loaf of bread will still see you have a good day even on a commie. You don't need to take a shed load of kit unless your goal is to catch as many fish as is humanly possible in your given time then you may need to take the most efficient approach. But a relaxed less stressful approach will still put a good few fish on the bank and sometimes this more relaxed approach can prove more efficient than the high pressure approach that is being taken by the rest of the people on the lake. Or if you don't want to be in a big crowd there are still lots of club waters around that will give good fishing, OK they won't have the high density stocking levels of some commercials but can still make for a good days fishing on some very simple methods

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Whilst I’ve still got out quite a bit since the river season ended I’m not quite as motivated at that sort of time as I am during the river season when I’m buzzing to go whenever I can. I do get a bit more motivated around now when we’re into the second half of the closed season when it’s worth going to more natural lakes as fishing them is closer in style to the river fishing that is my primary love fishing wise. Even when the rivers are open I’m a bit less motivated in the depths of winter but from say start of the season until around Christmas I’m buzzing to get out on the river whenever I can.

Reuben

Site Supporter
All my stuff’s ready to go. Float & feeder rod & reels in the hard case with feeder arm & landing net pole. Pellets in the zip lid bucket, carryall, chair with tray & landing net ready. Just a choice of clothes, flask & sarnies to think about.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm actually quite easily motivated at the moment. Been fishing the same park lake. I only take the bare essentials and it's ready to go from the last time I went. It is very similar to what I take to local rivers. My set up might not look very 'professional' with only one rod set up etc but as long as I'm happy, know what I'm doing on the day, and have a line in the right place I don't care for taking a seat box and loads of stuff.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Yes - it's quite normal, I am sure. I hate getting tackle and baits ready and loading the van. But I know that once I'm sat sitting there on the bank I will think that it's all been worth it. I've match fished non-stop since 1958, which is probably uncommon - most matchmen I know from that time gave it up at some time.

Fishing commercials is easier than fishing natural waters, of course, but to matchfish properly you still need to pay attention to a lot of things so I can't get away with just bunging everything in the van without checking it. I would guess I spend an minimum of an hour for each match doing that.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Going to local commercial tomorrow.
Rods in bag ready. Like I put them away last time.
Same as my tackle bag
Bait all in a bucket ready. Pellets.
But have made a few pva mesh bags up today. Incase I want to proper relax and slouch in my chair with bait runner on.
Prep was going for a fresh loaf for sarnies

CJROSCOW

Clint
Site Supporter
Good to know its not me. Might just take the box and margin pole. Keep it really simple and get the bug back catchi g some edge munters on a sunny evening.

gixer 13

Site Supporter
Yes - it's quite normal, I am sure. I hate getting tackle and baits ready and loading the van. But I know that once I'm sat sitting there on the bank I will think that it's all been worth it. I've match fished non-stop since 1958, which is probably uncommon - most matchmen I know from that time gave it up at some time.
was like that bank holiday monday no match just going pleasure fishing the amount of gear we take is stupid. several trips to the carto load up and then to the peg. same again to pack up nd then unload the car. I went anyway had a good day and enjoyed myself some times just need to do it. I used to be able to get 3 of us in one car and all the gear for trent opens back in the day now travel on my own as can only get my gear in the car.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Because I don't get to fish matches, I sometimes struggle to get motivated to go pleasure fishing. I love prepping for matches however.
The weather often dictates my motivation. Unless it's warm I often don't bother.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I must admit I lost my enthusiasm through winter and found it hard to get motivated again ….But I pushed myself, joined a club, and fish matches every other Saturday, I still fish the over 50,s at Tunnel,every Tuesday, and every other week with the Thursday match club , odd pleasure sessions, and odd opens, I’m mad for it again now 🎣🎣🤣🤣

Dropon

Sometimes when I’m fishing the frustration effect is greater than the pleasure effect. Motivation comes and goes,very weather dependent.

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
Motivation………I suffer with a severe lack of it. I know I have loads of prep to do before the next match on Sunday but keep putting it off. Ordered some kit to redo topkits, make rigs and hooklengths as I know I was way under prepped last time out, but it’s still in the unopened box it came in last week! Need to get a grip or it’ll be another wasted trip with no chance of competing against better prepared anglers 🥲

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
I lost my motivation over the winter after a few tough sessions on the river and a spell of cold weather. I talked myself out of at least a couple of sessions.

But since the clocks changed, it has given me more opportunities to get out and I’m really motivated again. I was out early Monday AM and was itching to get out again by the evening. I’m going to have a few hours out tomorrow on the carp lake, really excited to give the method feeder a go again. The river season is not far away either! My goal is to land a decent chub this year.

When I’m in this sort of mood I enjoy prepping kit.

matt

Site Supporter
I do loose my motivation every now and again for different types of fishing such as match / sea / game etc., but always mad for fishing in general but I don’t get that many opportunities to go!

When I do know that I can go, I prepare like crazy to make the most of it!

Only fished twice so far this year......1st time was a Tuesday open at Alders in the 1st week of January, the 2nd was last Friday fly fishing on a wild brown trout stream on a private estate in the Cotswolds and the next time will be at the end of the month when i’ll be doing a bit of flattie bashing in Morecambe bay.

For each and every trip I’ll be starting my prep at least 2 weeks in advance and thoroughly enjoying it, it’s all part of it😀

Last edited:

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
I must admit I lost my enthusiasm through winter and found it hard to get motivated again ….But I pushed myself, joined a club, and fish matches every other Saturday, I still fish the over 50,s at Tunnel,every Tuesday, and every other week with the Thursday match club , odd pleasure sessions, and odd opens, I’m mad for it again now 🎣🎣🤣🤣
So you now fish with the ‘Custard dribblers’ 😜