motivation

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I went through a stage like this and it sounds silly but I think I was over complicating things / having too much gear if anything. If became a chore / faff to get it all ready and set up etc and it took a bit if the fun out.

I stripped everything back and now only take what I need and got the love back again.

Not sure if that helps at all / you can relate?

The time off from going made me love fishing again though
I can really relate to this mate. Nowadays the prep for a match is much more intensive than it used to be. The days when you could just grab your box, hold-all and net bag and go to any venue, knowing you had the rods, floats and reels to cover any eventuality are long gone. If I am fishing a match on Sunday, I would start tying rigs etc on the Wednesday. Then on match day, it’s several trips to the car to load and unload at the venue. As you say, the sheer effort takes a lot of the fun out of it.

Philnun87

I can really relate to this mate. Nowadays the prep for a match is much more intensive than it used to be. The days when you could just grab your box, hold-all and net bag and go to any venue, knowing you had the rods, floats and reels to cover any eventuality are long gone. If I am fishing a match on Sunday, I would start tying rigs etc on the Wednesday. Then on match day, it’s several trips to the car to load and unload at the venue. As you say, the sheer effort takes a lot of the fun out of it.
Glad it’s not just me Dave,

Sometime now I just grab a single float rod and have a pleasure session with minimal gear between matches just to mix it up, it definitely helped.

Sometimes I find matches, especially big ones, can get a bit too serious too which takes the fun out of it a bit too. Trying to just see them all as just a ‘knock about’ and fishing a lot better for it

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
It isn't an inevitability that all will end up abandoning angling, but a few things give me concerns for individuals long term angling futures when they say or do certain things. That would include any angler that is entirely one track. Those that pursue single species, fish a single venue or a single method to the exclusion of all others. This goes double for anyone showing total contempt for any unwanted species. When a matchman says they don't enjoy fishing unless it's in a match, or a carper says they won't go without a mate or two and a load of beer, it makes me wary for them. Good luck to those that manage to sustain such single mindedness over many years, but I believe that they are exceptions, not the rule.

Last edited:

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I've carp fished to the point it threatened my marriage, & Match fished till I just burnt out and couldn't stand commercials any more... I found solace in stripping everything away and starting afresh... Just a rod and line... Its quite refreshing when you take the pressure off yourself... The enjoyment returns tenfold... Long may it continue... Yes there are times when I just don't fancy it but travelling light means those days are few and far between... If fishing means loading your car with a box, rod holdall, pole holdall, carryall, roller bag, net bag, bait bag, barrow/platform, I just couldn't be arsed... if it means a rod, net, ruckie and chair I'm all over it

nejohn

Site Supporter
I had a few spare hours on Tuesday afternoon and thought about going fishing but looked in the shed and thought can I be bothered to move all of this kit into the car then the same at the other end and in essence cut my limited window of opportunity down by about 1 hour so thought I wouldn't go. in the end I grabbed a waggler rod, reel, landing net, a few bits of tackle I could lay my hands on and a folding chair. Picked a pint of maggots up at the tackle shop down the road and had an enjoyable 3 hours catching whatever was in front of me on very simple tackle. I had no choice but fish with one of the 3 floats I took with me, I had to use a waggler and I only had 1 bait choice (well I could vary the number of maggots on the hook) absolutely no pressure and I really enjoyed it, ended the session with a mixed bag of roach, perch , skimmers and a couple of F1's, could I have caught more if I had used a different approach ? possibly, would I have enjoyed it as much ? who knows , will I take this approach again? yes , will I always take this approach in future ? No and I think it is shaking things up a little and doing things differently that keeps the interest (well it does with me anyway as I can at times have a very low boredom threshold)

Godber

All gone floppy.
Site Supporter
I've felt jaded, a bit disinterested at times but l love my matches. If l have to pleasure fish l will do something l wont do in matches. Swingtipping, method on the pole, long range waggler, long/short range feeder depending on the venue, method down the edge, float a crust etc,just something a bit different before the routine of match fishing comes around again. Sometimes l've even gone out with just the one rod and persevered instead of switching to a banker method l know will work. Creating my own competition l suppose.

derwentboy

Site Supporter
I was mad for fishing between the ages of 13-18, fishing junior matches etc Then my grandad (who used to take me) died and I was at University and life sort of took over and I was busy with travel, career, another hobby, mortgages, kids....but I never got rid of my tackle. I never fell out of love with it..it just seemed like I was busy in other things but I always remember thinking to myself.."Remember how much you loved it..you can't sell it, there was something in that for you...so just leave it be for now" Fast forward 20 years and a change of circumstance saw me nearer to home a lot more with 2 small kids. By a total chance conversation with someone I ended up on a day on the River Hodder with a friend and within half an hour I was hooked again.
Fast forward another 10 years, my lad's fishing junior matches, I've learnt to tie flies and am tying flies for charity, driving him everywhere, in 4 angling clubs game and coarse.., constantly repairing secondhand tackle in me shed, tying pole rigs, hooklengths...it never stops and am happier than a pig in sh.. when weekend / holidays roll around I can't wait. Never sell all your tackle off.....it will come around again even if you've had enough for a while.

nico12

Grebe Grabber
I hear you. I have done this more recently. Blamed with weather, venue, lack of kit but ultimately my enthusiasm ebbs and flows sometimes. As others have said there's a lot to be said for stripping back kit and lowering your expectations.

I haven't done it this year but a couple of years ago I wasn't enjoying like i used to, even if i went to venues / pegs i loved and even if i caught, something had gone. That year i pulled together some very basic carp kit all focussed around surface fishing. - Kit was literally a Rod, Mixed bag of baits, small carryall, landing net and carp mat.

Sometimes id arrive at the venue and know within minutes it was going to be hard / impossible. However the ability to walk the banks, try stuff ( on limited tackle) and having to work it out was more enjoyable than lugging RIVE / Poles trolley to the same lakes.

Had some great success some evenings too. Carp to 16lb on the kids marshmallows, dog biscuits, and bread. Really enjoyable.

Beauty is if you arent catching / weather moves you can simply up sticks and get shelter or go home! :)

Going to try similar with spinning on a lake that only has Perch rather than Pike ( according to Bailiff)

Another tip that works for me is, on those days you cant face it - Tidy the tackle box / make rigs / wash pole etc.....just to keep your hand in

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
A venue I fish has some decent fish in it, some days I have taken long margin pole, couple of feeder rods and waggler rod. Carryall, holdall , mixture of baits, trolley etc.
After loading and unloading the car, sometimes the enthusiasm seems to go. Knowing you have to load car again when you pack up.
Last time I went I took Stealth lite chair, beastmaster margin extreme and shok stik margin poles, landing net, handful of pole rigs, and a few pellets and slices of bread. Pellets,bread and pole rigs carried in net head, margin pole and net handle velcroed together carry in one hand ,carry chair in the other.
Travelled really light and enjoyed it more than taking lots of tackle and going through the motions,

Arry

Site Supporter
Travelling light and taking whatever comes along is quite cathartic... I got to hate loading up the car with all the match kit... it got to be soul destroying eventually... now the only time I take multiple rods is when I do a long session on a carp water

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Travelling light and taking whatever comes along is quite cathartic... I got to hate loading up the car with all the match kit... it got to be soul destroying eventually... now the only time I take multiple rods is when I do a long session on a carp water
Yep, I came home on Monday feeling so refreshed after an afternoon of simple trotting with a stick float and pin.

Arry

Site Supporter
Love a pin me... most of my fishing is done with one, but then I'm a bit of a traditionalist on the quiet 😛