motivation

matt

Site Supporter
I just can’t be bothered at all , I’ve tried fishing different venues, but I’m just sat there going through the motions, not enjoying it at all , can’t be bothered to prep, or sort bait, and even less interested on the bank 💁‍♂️💁‍♂️
Sorry to hear that mate,

If it’s any consolation I have been in exactly the same situation myself.

Just take some time off and do other things for however long you need to and then one day, when you think it’s out of your system have a day out in the countryside with the Mrs and walk around a reservoir or a stretch of river and I reckon once you see water again your mojo will ping straight back! 😀

Once a fisherman, always a fisherman, it never leaves you!😀

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I just can’t be bothered at all , I’ve tried fishing different venues, but I’m just sat there going through the motions, not enjoying it at all , can’t be bothered to prep, or sort bait, and even less interested on the bank 💁‍♂️💁‍♂️
Sorry to read this Gaz :( sadly I feel that it's something that the vast majority on here can relate to in one way or another at some point in their angling lives, I've been there a good few years ago, didn't touch my gear for the best part of 5 years.
Take a break if you feel the need, nothing worse than going if you're not enjoying it. At some point something will happen to re-ignite the enjoyment and you won't look back. (Just don't flog your kit ;))

Total

Site Supporter
Sorry to read this Gaz :( sadly I feel that it's something that the vast majority on here can relate to in one way or another at some point in their angling lives, I've been there a good few years ago, didn't touch my gear for the best part of 5 years.
Take a break if you feel the need, nothing worse than going if you're not enjoying it. At some point something will happen to re-ignite the enjoyment and you won't look back. (Just don't flog your kit ;))
^^ Peter, May I ask why you felt the need to not fish for 5 years?....:unsure:.....Circumstance, run of bad draws/results.......????

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
I know how hard it is to motivate yourself to go fishing but hopefully things will work out so you enjoy it again………
I have always loved fishing but for many years anxiety got in the way and I just couldn’t find the motivation to overcome the thoughts that put me off going for a dangle. Pressure of work didn’t help either, I used to get so frustrated with myself, and others, for letting myself and them down. The only fishing I did for a long time was on holiday at White Acres and even then, sometimes, I’d take all my gear and still not fish. I wanted to but just couldn’t 😢 Eventually, the work thing came to a head, I saw a counsellor and she put my life, and it’s perceived problems, into perspective. Shortly after I saw a fairly local match group looking for people to make up the numbers so I put my name down. Twelve months later, bar a few months with lockdown preventing any fishing, I look forward to fishing matches with some great lads, at venues I’ve always wanted to fish but my anxiety wouldn’t allow and I even pleasure fish a few of them to get some practice in. I’m much happier for it, my missus loves the fact I’m loving it again, and I look forward to every match now. Do not, whatever you do, sell your tackle. I threatened to many times but I’m so glad I didn’t 👍🎣❤️

Stokie

Site Supporter
That's the saddest thing I've read on here for a long while. Hope you're well mate.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
it has crossed my mind to sell my tackle several times
It has me as well mate ….I’m going to do a bit of prep tomorrow, give it a go on a match at Tunnel on Tuesday, see how I feel 💁‍♂️Hopefully is just a phase , due to having to work quite a lot of late, rubbish weather, a couple of poor draws,a couple of poor performances,etc…… I’m going to try and get my head back in the game !!!!!

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
i dont know if its just me but over the past couple of years im finding it harder to motivate myself to go fishing . several times ive got my kit ready the night before and changed my mind the next morning . in the past, nothing would stop me getting on the bank but now it feels like im almost looking for excuses not to go
I feel lucky that I've never lost the motivation to that extent - longest stretch without fishing is about 6 months over winter and the fewest matches in a year is about ten - these days it's at least twenty - but I very much pick and choose the venues.

I know everyone is different, but my personal drivers are
a) a problem to overcome -eg. I had avoided "above the weir" on my local river because of a couple of poor results, but as it was mandatory to fish on one of the days of the club's summer festival ... I went out and practised to find a method that worked
b) variety - I love the variety of methods and species you can catch on UK rivers ... I know that I'm in danger of becoming a bit stale on my local venue as I've spent so much of the summer on it ... will have a break and travel further afield after this weekend. Equally - the rivers have been in the doldrums for weeks now, although the current rain could freshen them up / put them in flood (delete as appropriate)
c) teammates - not like 30 years ago, when I was afraid of failure ... now the buzz of winning or framing as a team is a great motivating factor

Chefster - the offer's always open if you fancy a guest day midweek on the Avon for a complete change of scene. To be fair, the dace mostly make Sliverfisher's 3oz roach look like monsters ... but there are some better fish in there as we've discussed before!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
- the offer's always open if you fancy a guest day midweek on the Avon for a complete change of scene. To be fair, the dace mostly make Sliverfisher's 3oz roach look like monsters ... but there are some better fish in there as we've discussed before!
Don’t you start as well 😉

Talking of dace I’ve had some that have required a net this week which doesn’t happen very often!

1633096394166.jpeg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
^^ That's a Dacelet!:love::p;)
Must admit when the first one surfaced I assumed it was a chublet then was like hang on a second where’s the net! Shame they were on a fairly substantial feeder rod as would have been lovely fish on the float.

Krh57

Site Supporter
Head up Gazza, you’ll get your mojo back !
Think of all the anglers you’ve help in the past with unselfish giving of information and advice, I’m sure they’ll all be rooting for you like me !
All the best for Tuesday mate (y)(y)(y)

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
^^ Peter, May I ask why you felt the need to not fish for 5 years?....:unsure:.....Circumstance, run of bad draws/results.......????
I had spent a number of years and put a lot of effort into team fishing Mark and we reached a point where we were moderately successful, unfortunately a couple of members (mates of the then Captain) weren't putting the effort in, or fishing to the team plan, preferring to chase individual glory. It got to a point where I had to say something at the next meeting and it didn't go down well, but it was obvious that nothing was going to change so I packed it in.
It was actually quite easy at the time not to miss fishing, Maria and I were recently married and had just brought our flat and I had just started a job that I really enjoyed, In fact it was one of my work colleagues wanting to have a first try at fishing some 5 years after that made me get the kit back out to take him and show him the ropes that got me back into it.

Total

Site Supporter
I had spent a number of years and put a lot of effort into team fishing Mark and we reached a point where we were moderately successful, unfortunately a couple of members (mates of the then Captain) weren't putting the effort in, or fishing to the team plan, preferring to chase individual glory. It got to a point where I had to say something at the next meeting and it didn't go down well, but it was obvious that nothing was going to change so I packed it in.
It was actually quite easy at the time not to miss fishing, Maria and I were recently married and had just brought our flat and I had just started a job that I really enjoyed, In fact it was one of my work colleagues wanting to have a first try at fishing some 5 years after that made me get the kit back out to take him and show him the ropes that got me back into it.
^^ Thank you Peter....(y)

Ditto here except packing it up for 5 years.....That and getting fed up of the rule abuse/taking the Michael with rules shown by some open anglers....I had too many responsibilities to get involved with physicals etc etc.....Moved back to club fishing and odd open and never been happier with my fishing....

tincatim

Site Supporter
Angling motivation is a funny thing, it can disappear altogether and then return like a flash. I also stopped fishing for five years recently, and I've been pondering over why that was. There's a few reasons, such as not having a lot of spare time with work being so busy, the kids being younger and having a lot of Dad taxi duties. But I think those were just excuses, because if you really want to go, you'll find the time and do it.

The real reason I lacked the motivation was that I'd achieved my targets and fallen into a bit of a rut with it. I remember 2015 being the year that I'd caught my first barbel from the River Dearne, I caught six in four weeks with one going over 10lb. I'd caught my PB chub, and bream in that time as well. It was a real purple patch. The problem was that after that, I went back to blanking again and I formed the belief that I'd never better that month so there was no point. I had a few sessions on lakes, fishing pole, waggler, method etc... but it wasn't exciting me, so I just didn't renew my licence and forgot about fishing altogether.

It was during lockdown last year when I'd started walking in the mornings before work, that I began to re-appreciate the relaxing surroundings of the river and my thoughts turned to fish again. I pulled my tackle out (ooh matron!) and added some new bits to it, and I was off fishing! And now I can't imagine ever not wanting to go again. I'm desperate to get out and wet a line most of the time and I'm excited just thinking about the next trip.

Its strange how you can go from complete disinterest to all out excited child, just like that. There has to be something that can capture your imagination and tap into that excitement that drew you in, in the first place. For me it's setting targets that provide the variety I need to keep me motivated.

peterb

Site Supporter
Reading through this thread I can sympathise with a lot of you , I'm 73 and sometimes I have to motivate myself to go fishing but once I get there and start fishing I'm always glad I made the effort . I know that a lot of you are match fisherman and say that you don't like pleasure angling , but I get the impression that you put a lot of pressure on yourselves fishing these matches which leads to disappointment if things don't go to plan which could lead to disillusion and lack of motivation . I can't imagine myself going fishing and having this sort of pressure , it goes against all my reasons for doing it in the first place .

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
ive just ordered myself 2 short whips . im ggoing to go right back to where i started fishing when my dad used to take me on the severn and tie a length of line to 2 sections of a rod . i used to love doing this and if i caught anything over about 2oz it was classed as a monster lol . so i thought i would go back in time as it were and try to get the passion back for fishing by having some fun with bleak etc

Pigmeal

After health probs I suffer from can't be bothered .I just go for a couple of hours and listen to radio 4 and watch the wildlife etc .go home when had enough

Philnun87

I went through a stage like this and it sounds silly but I think I was over complicating things / having too much gear if anything. If became a chore / faff to get it all ready and set up etc and it took a bit if the fun out.

I stripped everything back and now only take what I need and got the love back again.

Not sure if that helps at all / you can relate?

The time off from going made me love fishing again though