motivation

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
I get that way if I do too much of one method, species or venue. At the very least, I've learned to change with the seasons and change tack when I start to get even slightly fed up of anything. I also deliberately target fresh venues when I can. I tend to have a core of regular venues and clubs. I'll also have alternate clubs and venues that I tend to cycle through as the mood takes me. The one thing that I tend to do increasingly is not to travel much further than 15 miles. I hate wasting too much time and money travelling. Paying a premium for a venue on your doorstep is a far better option than paying less for one that's a hundred miles away. I also found that travelling to good distant venues put me off fishing not so good local ones.

One excellent way to get out of your door is to arrange to meet up with someone. Not letting someone down at the last minute is a good motivator.
Thanks Sam. That makes a lot of sense

matti

Site Supporter
I'm going through this, a complete lack of motivation, I'm usually a match man, but I've just lost my way, most of the matches I've fished, you've needed to fish the usual, on the mudline, its just not for me, so ive moved on, and tried something diffrent, i've tried my hand at carp fishing, and river fishing, some thing diffrent, a change is as good as a rest

TiggerXFM

I do the majority of my fiishing trampling along river banks alone. This is due to the fact that my lifelong fishing buddies have all lost interest in fishing and very rarely come....miserable scrotes lol.
Anyhow, every now and then I get fed up with going and just loose the will to bother. I've found that sometimes your best to just give it a rest for a spell until you get the urge to go again.
Arranging a trip out with someone can also get you over a dead spot in your angling enthusiasum. A change of venue can sometimes help.
Fishing with someone that fishes the same method as you do can help boost your enthusiasum also as you can swap opinions on tackle etc which all helps re kindle interest.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I see from your past posts you appear to be a river man....Fishing the likes of Evesham and Pershore would knock the 'motivation' even out of me!:giggle::ROFLMAO:

Get yourself on a commie, catch some fish and take it from there.....;)(y)
Or stalk a lady angler ? Seems to keep you happy Mark ? Teaching her to cast my arse. You’ll get locked up you will. 🤣🤣🤣

rudd

Site Supporter
I dont go as much as I used to and have found thats a good thing.
Training the pup and keeping Mrs Rudd company - now the girls are students.
When I do fish I vary it to keep myself interested.
I’d be the same if I didn’t match fish, I just can’t go pleasure fishing, holds no interest for me at all.
Do you think its a being in a social group thing rather than fishing?
An angler fishes for - pleasure / relaxation / food.
I think many match anglers fish for company and dont actually enjoy fishing.
Same goes for many carpers, camping with mates is the main draw.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I dont go as much as I used to and have found thats a good thing.
Training the pup and keeping Mrs Rudd company - now the girls are students.
When I do fish I vary it to keep myself interested.

Do you think its a being in a social group thing rather than fishing?
An angler fishes for - pleasure / relaxation / food.
I think many match anglers fish for company and dont actually enjoy fishing.
Same goes for many carpers, camping with mates is the main draw.

No, it’s the competition, I’m not particularly sociable…….

Rob F

Site Supporter
First thing - don't worry about it! Think we can all get that way to an extent - I did this weekend. All set for fishing but went to a food fair and did a bit of gardening instead - it's no biggy!
Second - absence makes the heart grow fonder, or so they say, nothing wrong with taking a break, and when you return...
Third - variety is the spice of life, allegedly, so change something - venue, tactics, timing - so you don't feel you're going back to that which deadened your enthusiasm.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I get like that ths now and then, even loaded the car, gone in the house to get flask and sarnies and thought Sod It.and not bothered going.
I have tried taking less tackle and that seems to help.
No more 10 minutes loading the car and 10 minutes unloading when get there. Same for when come back.
Also try changing venues and methods,
When I was in the Northwest I had a pick of lots of venues in a 20 minute radius of where I lived. Majority commercials. That's when I lost enthusiasm for going, similar venues and similar methods.and to much tackle.
Moved to Oxford and it's mainly gravel pits and rivers. I find it's more of a challenge and seem to enjoy it more,
I have even bought a bivvy table and rod pod to use with a chair on some venues.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I got like that a few years back... I started dabbling with vintage gear... not it pretty much all I use... I think its about finding a different challenge or a different avenue of interest... I can't wait to get out on the bank normally... being 63 though if it looks like rain I don't put meself out... spent too many days soaked to do it again by choice...😛🤣🤣

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I've been a bit like that for the last two months. Only been out for 4 short sessions since the end of July. Had two stinkers on different ponds & two decent sessions on our F1 water.
I think it's partly due to not having much spare time as we're short staffed so I've been doing lots of hours & on my rare free mornings, I've been too tired to make the effort.

matt

Site Supporter
As has been said before, try mixing it up a bit.

For many years I was a dedicated match angler on the open circuit, I did nothing else but fish matches then stopped going for a few weekends and didn’t miss it.... had a few years away from fishing and then got the itch again.... these days i just go fishing to enjoy a day out, no matter what type of fishing it is, be it Mid Channel Wrecking for Cod, Fly fishing on a small brook for wild brownies in the Cotswolds or fishing the Maggot Drowning weekend at Alders.

I now look forward to each and every trip and spend weeks in the run up preparing.....my focus now for the winter apart from @whiskers match at the Glebe and the MD’s winter match at Alders is to catch a 20lb Pike from a local lake and a days trotting on the Test for Grayling.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I just can’t be bothered at all , I’ve tried fishing different venues, but I’m just sat there going through the motions, not enjoying it at all , can’t be bothered to prep, or sort bait, and even less interested on the bank 💁‍♂️💁‍♂️

smiffy

Site Supporter
I just can’t be bothered at all , I’ve tried fishing different venues, but I’m just sat there going through the motions, not enjoying it at all , can’t be bothered to prep, or sort bait, and even less interested on the bank 💁‍♂️💁‍♂️
Really?
There‘s lots I miss like long distance mates I don’t get to see now, the banter before and after, picking up the odd envelope. But I packed matchfishing in when I felt like you so I‘m probably not the best person to give you advice.
It’s not a run of bad results is it? You know you just have to grind them out👍

The open commie circuit is a bit of a rat race sometimes, maybe it’s worth hunting out a local group of lads that fish more natural waters so you’re getting a mixture of target species and methods to fish. Personally I’d have a go at Barbel fishing. If that don’t get the juices flowing nothing will👍
Chin up fella.

Last edited:

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Think I'm just bored with pleasure fishing. It just doesn't do it for me. I need the buzz of a match but unfortunately I can't get to fish them.