motivation

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Try something different, a different venue or type of venue, different species, even just roaming with a spinning rod :)

Fireblade929

Site Supporter
i dont know if its just me but over the past couple of years im finding it harder to motivate myself to go fishing . several times ive got my kit ready the night before and changed my mind the next morning . in the past, nothing would stop me getting on the bank but now it feels like im almost looking for excuses not to go
I can relate to this particularly if it's a MotoGP / WSBK / BSB weekend.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Some of the best sessions I find can be impromptu ones, but then I'll go and have an impromptu one telling myself I should catch as it's impromptu and sods law works the other way and I won't catch anything. I'm still up for a session on the Severn with you mate, just need to get round to organising it. I'm going Tench fishing tomorrow, excited... but probably setting myself up for a fall as it's forecast 14c.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Some of the best sessions I find can be impromptu ones, but then I'll go and have an impromptu one telling myself I should catch as it's impromptu and sods law works the other way and I won't catch anything. I'm still up for a session on the Severn with you mate, just need to get round to organising it. I'm going Tench fishing tomorrow, excited... but probably setting myself up for a fall as it's forecast 14c.
Ooh, a nice Tench session sounds good, as long as you don't mind catching Roach. :LOL:

smiffy

Site Supporter
I’m the complete opposite to Maesknoll. Match fishing got like going to work and too one dimensional, around here I must add.
So I now spend my time doing what I couldn’t do during my matchfishing years. If I don’t think I’m going to catch I don’t go. My advice is to try something different, sit back, take it all in and don’t worry if you blank. It don’t matter👍

ukzero1

Site Supporter
i dont know if its just me but over the past couple of years im finding it harder to motivate myself to go fishing . several times ive got my kit ready the night before and changed my mind the next morning . in the past, nothing would stop me getting on the bank but now it feels like im almost looking for excuses not to go
I agree with @Dave, a change of venue might just perk up your interest, especially if it's one you've not fished for some time.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I’m the complete opposite to Maesknoll. Match fishing got like going to work and too one dimensional, around here I must add.
So I now spend my time doing what I couldn’t do during my matchfishing years. If I don’t think I’m going to catch I don’t go. My advice is to try something different, sit back, take it all in and don’t worry if you blank. It don’t matter👍
Same here, I gave up the match circuit a few years ago now. Don't get me wrong, I miss the banter, the pee taking, the weigh-ins when you say.."Is that all you've got?" But 3 or 4 matches a week over 40-odd years at some of the most respected venues of the time (Long Eaton, Long Higgin, Holme Marsh and Pierrpoint on the Trent, The Ouse...the list goes on), started to take it's toll. I feel much happier now I can fish without any stress, no competition, just me, my rods and the wildlife, having a friend along for the fun...heaven.

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
cheers budddy . must arrange something

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Can’t imagine ever getting like that. Only thing that stops me fishing is bad weather or other commitments if I’m free and the weathers decent I can’t wait to go. Dims a bit in the winter but from around May to November I’m almost always up for going.

Total

Site Supporter
I see from your past posts you appear to be a river man....Fishing the likes of Evesham and Pershore would knock the 'motivation' even out of me!:giggle::ROFLMAO:

Get yourself on a commie, catch some fish and take it from there.....;)(y)

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
I see from your past posts you appear to be a river man....Fishing the likes of Evesham and Pershore would knock the 'motivation' even out of me!:giggle::ROFLMAO:

Get yourself on a commie, catch some fish and take it from there.....;)(y)
i am a river angler through and through mate . ive even tried the local canal a few times but that just didnt do it for me .

Total

Site Supporter
........ time to search out some new venues i think
That'll be a start Kev':)(y).....'Motivation' can be a strange one, Lose of Mojo' even, Possible early signs of depression etc etc.....You definitely don't want to go there....(y)

I wish you well and hope you rediscover what you've been lacking and of course, do let us know on here how you get on....All the best...Be lucky....(y)

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
That'll be a start Kev':)(y).....'Motivation' can be a strange one, Lose of Mojo' even, Possible early signs of depression etc etc.....You definitely don't want to go there....(y)

I wish you well and hope you rediscover what you've been lacking and of course, do let us know on here how you get on....All the best...Be lucky....(y)
thanks total . thats really good of you and very much appreciated

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I get that way if I do too much of one method, species or venue. At the very least, I've learned to change with the seasons and change tack when I start to get even slightly fed up of anything. I also deliberately target fresh venues when I can. I tend to have a core of regular venues and clubs. I'll also have alternate clubs and venues that I tend to cycle through as the mood takes me. The one thing that I tend to do increasingly is not to travel much further than 15 miles. I hate wasting too much time and money travelling. Paying a premium for a venue on your doorstep is a far better option than paying less for one that's a hundred miles away. I also found that travelling to good distant venues put me off fishing not so good local ones.

One excellent way to get out of your door is to arrange to meet up with someone. Not letting someone down at the last minute is a good motivator.