Mote Park lake, Maidstone

Maidstone1922

Returned to fish Mote Park Lake, Maidstone, Kent after a long time away.

If you don’t know it, it is an old estate lake which is now part of a public park. Maidstone is lucky to have it – many people use the park but few probably realise the underwater world they are walking past.

The lake used to be well-known for big shoals of bream averaging 5-7lb. It also has a few large carp, large pike and a good head of roach and perch.
I say that, I don’t know to what extent any of that is still true. I visited with the plan just to fish the waggler and try to catch some roach. Feeding hemp and maggot, I was happy with anything that came along but hopeful of some of the better roach that used to be there.

It used to sometimes be a difficult lake to fish. No guarantees. So after an hour of no real bites I was fearing the worst. But then the fish arrived/switch on and I started to get bites from small roach. I also had a couple of decent skimmers and a tiny skimmer, so hopefully the next generation of those big bream are doing well. All the fish were in mint condition.

So the fish were still around, but something new was the water sports centre. Soon after I’d plumbed up a group (a gaggle? A headache? Collective noun for female paddleboarders anyone?) of women of various ages took to the water on a paddleboard session. They didn’t come through my swim. They later went one step further and started doing pilates on the paddleboards...out of eyesight but not earshot, it sounded like torture judging from the grunting and screeching. As the stream of paddleboards and pedalos increased, I confess my mind wandered to dark places involving a catty full of maggots. But luckily I remembered a passage from the great man Izaak Walton:

“Remember ye, when thoust swim is beset by creatures and man of all types, that we all share the water and must share it whilst thinking of the health and enjoyment of our fellow beings. Cast down thy blunderbuss and thy slingshot, even when the water is chockfull of dragonboats and paddleboards and screaming offspring. Even though they be f*cking annoying.”

Soothing words.
Anyway, I packed up after catching enough silvers for one day/the pedalo traffic got a bit too much.

Looking forward to heading back sometime soon to target the bream. Anyone fishing it these days I’d be interested to hear what’s the crack.
IMG_0245.jpg IMG_0246.jpg Skimmer and a shiny roach. Not aware of any chub in the lake, but something wrapped me around some branches pretty sharpish!

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Mote is a fantastic lake on its day,

spent a lot of time there a few years back in the company of a great mate who has since passed away

the bream are still in residence, another couple of anglers of my aquaintance had a good session a couple of weeks back,the roach can be hit or miss, somedays feast others famine

its better to get on it during the week, as the weekends can be noisy and the park full, as you say, for a town centre lake its a fantastic place and the locals seem to appreciate it

oh for a place like it in folkestone

( if your going again, and fancy a bit of company and Im free, gissa shout, I can fish there for free on the reciprical arrangements with my club Cinque ports AC)

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I`m a member of MV and live in Ashford but never got round to fishing MP, in fact I have no idea about the place. Can you fish early
mornings? Are the gates open and what is the tench fishing like? Must give it a go, enjoyed the write up:)

Maidstone1922

Hi, not sure about the gates tbh. I used to park elsewhere and walk in but not sure how feasible that is these days.

There are definitely tench in there but ive never fished for them specifically. Had them to 4lb, rumours of bigger ones...

jay67

used to fish there a lot . i favoured the wall next to the model boat enclosure thingy . method feeder with micro / gb mix with bunch of dead reds or corn for bait . stopped going there when they changed the parking rules .

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
not sure wether you can park on that wall anymore, dont think the lower gates get opened now, when the water levels went down a few year back, the big snag was revealed, there was a car about 10 yards in under the water, they got a crane in and dragged it out

those model boats used to drive me crazy with the noise

in the times we went a lot, MVAS had rebuilt the pegs on the other side where the liesure centre and cafe is now, parking was free there, opened about 7am in the morn, good fishing there more peaceful too, one match we had was a laugh, bus loads o haseatic jews turned up, all black hat and pigtails and hired boats to row around the lake, raised some mirth and smiles that day, deffo needed a rowing lesson or two

the other way we went in was to fish the old yacht club pontoons, and came in on the road behind the park and ride and mote house, left the motors by the old kiosk, think that ways closed by a bar across the road now

Mick, my oppo used to chuck to the the bouys there on the tip and net a fair few big bream, I fished closer in and bashed the roach,

jay67

theres a bollard with a code at willington st entrance . i actually helped install a few of the platforms a few years ago . might try and get over there on a day ticket some time soon

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
My club has a reciprical ticket arrangement with MVAS regarding thier waters

all I have to do is inform our secretary as to what water and when I intend to fish and then show my club card to the MVAS baliff on the day

Maidstone1922

As a teenager I used to pester a bearded gentleman who fished off the concrete with the pellet method... might have been you Jay! He certainly had a lot of bream out but his wife usually had more if I recall...

I remember the car! Haha. Didn’t know they had taken it out. Certainly lost a few hooks on it.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Evening men, the faster flowing bit of the Medway below Teston looks interesting but I will try to get to it via Coxheath because the
A20 through Bearsted is at present a nightmare. Did not investigate Mote for that reason, I avoid if possible the M20 between Ashford
and Maidstone because its one of those stretches of road that seems never ending.