MOT

stikflote

Site Supporter
I thin k anyone who drives a car should have some knowledge of its basic
working,, just the simple things ,but then again cars are very complicated these days

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I thin k anyone who drives a car should have some knowledge of its basic
working,, just the simple things ,but then again cars are very complicated these days
There's a big difference between basic workings and being a mechanic, which most people use.

stikflote

Site Supporter
Yes there is but i think you should be able to change a bulb,and and change a wheel
in case of a puncture, thats if you have a spare wheel:):)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
In the olden days women would flag down someone to help change their tyre. In films anyway. :LOL: I don't have a spare so if I get a flat it's always a job for breakdown, otherwise I'd do it myself.

willothewisp

willothewisp
I moved back home to N. Ireland from Yorkshire in 2011, after driving in England since 1970, so I was well used to MOTs, but had never owned a car here in N. IRE.
About 8/9 months after returning I phoned ahead " for an MOT" and turned up at a local garage my family used. No chance! Garages here only do "pre MOT checks", not the actual MOT.
In N. Ire, MOTs are only done in central vehicle licensing authority premises! They're independent, impartial, and very efficient, ....when you actually get there! Booking a test is via Internet or phone...............all very well until you try to book an MOT! Huge waiting times on phones; no availability sometimes for 3-4 weeks, and my nearest ones are 13 or 19 miles away! For my first one, in order to get it done in time I had to drive 30 miles to Armagh! Recently after the temporary cessation of MOTs and the backlog jam on resumption, trying to book a test was a frustrating nightmare.
While I think that overall central independence is a better system from public safety perspective, when it becomes due, I long for when I could leave the car in Yorks to my absolutely reliable trusted local garage 300 yds away knowing that they'd fix/repair/replace anything needed and I'd happily pay.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I dropped it off this morning and the bloke told me the light won't effect the MOT. 🤷‍♂️ My brother has just failed his on a 'ball joint' and brake light.

peterb

Site Supporter
I moved back home to N. Ireland from Yorkshire in 2011, after driving in England since 1970, so I was well used to MOTs, but had never owned a car here in N. IRE.
About 8/9 months after returning I phoned ahead " for an MOT" and turned up at a local garage my family used. No chance! Garages here only do "pre MOT checks", not the actual MOT.
In N. Ire, MOTs are only done in central vehicle licensing authority premises! They're independent, impartial, and very efficient, ....when you actually get there! Booking a test is via Internet or phone...............all very well until you try to book an MOT! Huge waiting times on phones; no availability sometimes for 3-4 weeks, and my nearest ones are 13 or 19 miles away! For my first one, in order to get it done in time I had to drive 30 miles to Armagh! Recently after the temporary cessation of MOTs and the backlog jam on resumption, trying to book a test was a frustrating nightmare.
While I think that overall central independence is a better system from public safety perspective, when it becomes due, I long for when I could leave the car in Yorks to my absolutely reliable trusted local garage 300 yds away knowing that they'd fix/repair/replace anything needed and I'd happily pay.
We lived in Spain for a few years and they had a similar system there , the equivalent ITV was done in government run centres , very well run and never a problem getting an appointment , and no fear of dodgy garage owners trying to drum up business .

rudd

Site Supporter
I dropped it off this morning and the bloke told me the light won't effect the MOT. 🤷‍♂️ My brother has just failed his on a 'ball joint' and brake light.
Sorry but a car driver is responsible for checking car being driven is legal and in good working order.
Ball joint fair enough but its not hard to check lights, tyres etc.
I used a local independent local garage for service and mot on four family cars.
Fair prices and good service given.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Sorry but a car driver is responsible for checking car being driven is legal and in good working order.
Ball joint fair enough but its not hard to check lights, tyres etc.
Patronising. 🤷‍♂️

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Patronising. 🤷‍♂️
Not really, they are simple things to check, I would never put a car in for MOT with tyres that will fail nor with bulbs out as some places will charge you for the bulb and labour for replacement which just adds to the cost.
I normally go over my car and know to a certain degree what it may fail on, obviously some things like wishbone bushes, track rod ends etc, I'm not going to bother jacking up the car to check.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm just about to pick up my car and it's failed on a lot of things, I'll get the full list, all things like shock absorbers and suspension. All things that would be unreasonable for 90% of motorists to check.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Speaking with my HGV driver hat on we have to perform a daily walk around check of our vehicle that takes up to 15mins and we log it on a book or app as well as showing it on our tacho

It carries over to our home cars and I daily my own plus weekly (minimum) on my wife’s

Haven’t failed an MOT in over 5yrs and until this summer we were running a pair of bangers with 150k+ miles each

Should never fail for lights, tyres, washer fluid as they are inexcusable

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Speaking with my HGV driver hat on we have to perform a daily walk around check of our vehicle that takes up to 15mins and we log it on a book or app as well as showing it on our tacho

It carries over to our home cars and I daily my own plus weekly (minimum) on my wife’s

Haven’t failed an MOT in over 5yrs and until this summer we were running a pair of bangers with 150k+ miles each

Should never fail for lights, tyres, washer fluid as they are inexcusable
Same with company cars at our firm, if it goes in for MOT or service and there’s anything amiss that’s avoidable it can lead to disciplinary action being taken.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Same with company cars at our firm, if it goes in for MOT or service and there’s anything amiss that’s avoidable it can lead to disciplinary action being taken.
All of our company car users have an app on their company mobiles - this has to be actioned every Monday and the site manager logs & trends the results including fuel economy.

Bollockings are bare minimum if you miss the Monday & disciplinary action if you are a serial offender is guaranteed

Stewie74

Site Supporter
All of our company car users have an app on their company mobiles - this has to be actioned every Monday and the site manager logs & trends the results including fuel economy.

Bollockings are bare minimum if you miss the Monday & disciplinary action if you are a serial offender is guaranteed
We’re not quite that technical with it, but it’s designed to ensure that the basics of car maintenance are kept up to scratch. Oil, water, screen wash, lights, brakes, tyres, seatbelts etc.

It’s a good habit to get into to be fair, I do the same checks monthly in my wife’s car as well.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Well I picked it up and said to the chap at our garage "it's a big list isn't it?". He said, "No, the usual".

All faults are to do with the suspension and shock absorbers. Nothing to do with basic car maintenance. Oh and a sticky handbrake.

MOTs are for a lot more than checking the oil, tyres and lights it seems.