MOT

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've got one tomorrow on my 2013 Megane. What could possibly go wrong? :p :LOL: Not a lot I hope anyway as I have jobs to do in the afternoon.

Last time it was just some kind of bush or 'track rod arm' or something on one of the wheels (clueless about cars myself). And that was fixed. This time one of my 'day running lights' is not working when the main headlights are turned on, and can be expensive to replace which is why I haven't yet, but I'm not 100% that will be picked up on. You never know though, as my dad says - "I hate MOTs".

Oh the excitement. Any MOT 'horror' stories out there?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I was lucky this morning, I was cleaning my car out, went to turn it on again and the battery was flat. Got my dad to charge it, he said it was something to do with the connectors and put grease (vaseline I think) on them. I say lucky as I could have been out on a job when it went.

Thinking about the day running light, it won't be the bulb, as it works when the main headlights aren't on.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
This site says they only test "Daytime running lamps (DRLs) fitted to vehicles first used on or after 1 March 2018"

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cheers for that. My dad has tested it and there's voltage there so reckons there's just not enough to power it when there's other lights on so must be the 'unit'. A bit beyond my full comprehension though. Glad they won't be tested in the MOT by the sounds of it.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I generally hate it when I see cars with a light out, I call them 'one eyed jacks', but this being a DRL and only not working when I have the headlights on, it's not too bad. If it does need fixing though, so be it.

chris1967

Site Supporter
I've got one tomorrow on my 2013 Megane. What could possibly go wrong? :p :LOL: Not a lot I hope anyway as I have jobs to do in the afternoon.

Last time it was just some kind of bush or 'track rod arm' or something on one of the wheels (clueless about cars myself). And that was fixed. This time one of my 'day running lights' is not working when the main headlights are turned on, and can be expensive to replace which is why I haven't yet, but I'm not 100% that will be picked up on. You never know though, as my dad says - "I hate MOTs".

Oh the excitement. Any MOT 'horror' stories out there?
Oooh I can give you 100’s of mot horror stories 😂

MrBen

Site Supporter
Think you will find that if they are fitted, they have to work!
Sorry that’s not true.

Mot horror stories, did you want them from an mot tester @Zerkalo ? I’ve seen vehicles you would hope would have been crushed target carrying families around in.

The one thing you need to bear in mind is the mot is only a test for the minimum standard of road worthiness, nothing more, nothing less.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Even for the parts that need fixing?
An MOT is a once a year roadworthyness test. You have had a whole year to break and wear our stuff that may have just scrapped through last year. The parts that need fixing will be at least £500. You will actually be able to judge how much the repair bill will be by the mechanics sharp intake of breath.