Most sophisticated phishing attempt yet

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Over the last week or so I've been the intended victim of the most sophisticated phishing scheme I've ever seen. Thankfully, I decided to hold on and not act on it until I'd thought it through and now I've done a bit more digging I can see it is clearly a scam.

1) received an urgent email at 11pm on 23rd December telling me a share deal needed my urgent sign off

2) 2 days later received emails from docusign telling me I had to sign a document urgently

3) received 1-2 reminders per day telling me to sign

So how do I know it's a scam?

Well

1a. false sense of urgency in the first email and the timing

1b. email looks like it was formatted by a 6-year old with ADHD

1c. no footer on the email (company logo title details etc.)

2. mistakes in the email (deal will conclude in Q1 2020 and company name spelt wrong)

3. docusign letter starts 'dear all' their own website says to ignore anything not personally addressed to you by name

4. I've never heard of the legal firm that sent the docusign letter

5. repeated requests to stop spamming me with reminders has gone unheeded

I won't tell you the value of the shares involved, but let's just say I've just dodged a massive bullet.

Happy New Year to you all!

Last edited:

davepellet

If ever in doubt hover your mouse pointer over the button or link you are asked to click and look at the URL that appears at the bottom of your screen

Every single one I’ve ever received had really elaborate and clearly unrelated URL name

Just make sure you don’t then click the link, just exit & bin the email

If still in doubt contact the legitimate organisation direct and ask if they have sent you anything via email or SMS

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Scams and phishing will eventually kill the internet as people become more and more cautious as the rate increases.
It's got to the point now where even the authorities are getting concerned (for once), the recent issues with pension scams in the UK alone caused untold misery for some.

Those that use the internet on a regulat basis in message boards, forums, etc, become aware of the scams and the tricks that scammers try to pull over time, but there are a lot more, especially the elderly who are more trusting, who use the internet as a tool rather than entertainment and as such are more likely not to have the inbuilt protections available, nor the nounce to spot the difference between scam and genuine.

The recent post re the pole for sale on ebay was just one example - a second hand high spec pole sold cheap and 10 available ??

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Thanks guys, just added a couple of extra points in my original post in case it helps anyone else spot dodgy deals.