Staff member
Site Supporter
Are any of the ones further afield holding matches still Simon? :firedevil:

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
my club have opened our lakes and certain stretches of the canal

a couple of other local clubs have done the same with thier pits, lakes and river beats

and two or three local commies have re-opened

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Several pits round here (South Cerney) are open, both club waters and syndicates.

The one 1 fished is very quiet - 2 people on 27 acres.

weather here has been promising the last 2 days (up to 10 degrees) but the pits are all full to overflowing with very cold water so they haven’t warmed up enough to spark the fish into life.
Not far from me but too far to be local - how did it fish?

squimp

Site Supporter
Not far from me but too far to be local - how did it fish?
It didn’t.

I’m basically searching for the right spot to bait/fish but I need to find the fish first ! That is easier said than done when the fish aren’t showing and most of the pit is solid weed.

Im fishing for one bite.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Both my local commercials are closed at the time, Ivy House lakes and Flaxlands. Flatlands always closes in the winter. But I’m a member a a local club Sommerford Angling and the rive is only 1 mile from my house, although it’s up a bit, chocolate and running a bit hard at the moment.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
I'm afraid that my 10 mile trip to my local pond, which sits within its own locked grounds - no public - seems a bit too far and being an ex-NHS worker and understanding the pressure that they are under, I will stay home at home to show some solidarity until things cool down a little if ever. It starting to unnerve me a little but cannot be as bad as what they are facing.

alsur

Site Supporter
My club opened venues yesterday but have limited access to 7am to 5pm, of the three commercials relatively near to me 2 are open with restricted times and one is closed. Club and commercials have all emphasised the stay local but how they will enforce it I don't know, the club said the bailiffs won't be checking but you should fish your nearest water.

squimp

Site Supporter
My club opened venues yesterday but have limited access to 7am to 5pm, of the three commercials relatively near to me 2 are open with restricted times and one is closed. Club and commercials have all emphasised the stay local but how they will enforce it I don't know, the club said the bailiffs won't be checking but you should fish your nearest water.
Where I fished yesterday I was told the bailiffs will be asking the members where they have travelled from. Any that are deemed not to be local will be told to leave. The know all the regulars and where they live. So nobody ‘will get away with it’.

There are 80 odd members from all over the country - so the vast majority can’t go there at the moment. That is the only reason I am going - it is a one off opportunity to fish the best place in the country to catch a huge common carp when there is almost nobody else there.

alsur

Site Supporter
Where I fished yesterday I was told the bailiffs will be asking the members where they have travelled from. Any that are deemed not to be local will be told to leave. The know all the regulars and where they live. So nobody ‘will get away with it’.

There are 80 odd members from all over the country - so the vast majority can’t go there at the moment. That is the only reason I am going - it is a one off opportunity to fish the best place in the country to catch a huge common carp when there is almost nobody else there.
I think club took the decision based on the fact that the bailiffs are volunteers and didn't want to subject them to the abuse that could be directed at them, reasonable in my opinion.

squimp

Site Supporter
I think club took the decision based on the fact that the bailiffs are volunteers and didn't want to subject them to the abuse that could be directed at them, reasonable in my opinion.
The lake next door to where Im fishing is run by South Cerney club and they approached that issue in a different way.

They say anybody who lives in a GL or SN postcode CAN fish. Which basically means everybody within about 40 miles!!

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
I think there has been a lot of dialogue since lockdown one and in terms of business owners/owners of certain businesses engineering decisions, resentment from small shops against supermarkets, which is an historical battle before covid, but amplified during it and also those in the pub game when they were open were split between purely a wet pub and those that did the all important food criteria. To be honest and after seeing plenty of non essential places open, including chip shops, news agents etc, rightly or wrongly i'm not passing comment on peoples livelihoods,i think the fishing one could cause equal splits.

In lockdown one a mate of mine kept putting out that you can do this (picture of rammed supermarket) but you can't do this (picture of a loan angler fishing). I felt at the time in lockdown one, that when you stop and think about it, there is fishing in terms of the potential for a fishery to be rammed-car parks, pegs on the purpose built type venue, and there is fishing where i could be much safer being that lone angler on say a river bank.

This is the deepest i have thought about it for some time and actually wished i hadn't because trying to understand much of this does my nut in, which doesn't mean i am blase about it, quite the opposite, i follow the rules, but the tier system was the cherry on the cake for me to just say to the Mrs, just analyse it all please and let me know what i can and can't do. To this day i haven't understood why i couldn't have gone to a bleak and barren Trent-conditions and in the lack of people. Nottingham town centre or something then granted, but the two are worlds apart.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Are any of the ones further afield holding matches still Simon? :firedevil:
Not as far as I know - the various FB groups where matches on different venues are discussed are very quiet - and anglers who I know that would normally partake in matches on these venues (and publicise the results) are also keeping quiet. I know Mark has suspended his club anglers series at Sessay and the last match at Forest Lane was 2nd January.

Unless they've been running aerators most local ponds have been frozen solid at intervals since lockdown started.
Forecast to be -3C up here in the balmy north-east tonight so everywhere's gonna freeze again anyway.

Simon

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
The lake next door to where Im fishing is run by South Cerney club and they approached that issue in a different way.

They say anybody who lives in a GL or SN postcode CAN fish. Which basically means everybody within about 40 miles!!
Watch out for the Mucklowes mate, dodgy lot :p

grey

Site Supporter
Is the interaction with a bailiff creating an unnecessary risk?

I know anglers are allowed to be on the bank under health and fitness, but are bailiffs supposed to be out too? What makes them above Covid and impervious to spreading it?

I know it's with the best intentions that they're checking who's travelled from where, but in this case are they perhaps taking their role a step too far?

I'm aware Bailiffs are usually needed to ensure a compliance of rules, but at a time like this can't they just ensure anglers are acting safe manner from a distance and only step in when absolutely necessary... and if a few non members aren't caught, does that really matter at a time like this?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
When the first lockdown slightly lifted I got to fish a local Tench estate lake for free as they wouldn't bailiff it at the time so let people fish without a dayticket. Was very busy there though, mostly with walkers as it's in a busy park, I'd fish there again this spring though if lockdown is lifted a bit as it's only down the road.

grey

Site Supporter
When the first lockdown slightly lifted I got to fish a local Tench estate lake for free as they wouldn't bailiff it at the time so let people fish without a dayticket. Was very busy there though, mostly with walkers as it's in a busy park, I'd fish there again this spring though if lockdown is lifted a bit as it's only down the road.
I think that's a good example of the owner doing the right thing.

What I think it would be morally wrong if a bailiff turned away members who aren't local, and also turned away locals who aren't members - this creates a contradiction in terms, i.e. whilst the bailiff maybe restricting the travel of members, they're also forcing non-members to travel further afield.

That's neither acting in the interest of their waters, the anglers nor the spread of covid.