Most fisheries are closed?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'd already made a bit of a decision I wouldn't be fishing any fisheries and sticking to the local river during this lockdown, but it seems that most fisheries are closed, stipulating that they can't guarantee that people won't travel from areas that aren't local. Is this the case in your area or are fisheries still open?

Here's an example from Furnace Mill. Bells Mill is the same.

furnacemillclosed.jpg

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Some fisheries have chosen to close in what would normally be the quietest time of the year anyway, especially without matches going on also some shops and angling related businesses are closed too, understandable really given these strange times.

R0B

My nearest is closed for two weeks, the next nearest closed but then opened up again from Monday with very strict rules in place regarding pre booking, locality and sanitising on site. Haven't ever fished either of them but probably will come the close season.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm often the only person there at these two on quiet winter days. Agree it's understandable though I wouldn't really hold it against a fishery too much if they decided to stay open either, it's probably wise to shut or reopen with stringent rules and safeguarding.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I walked maybe 6 - 7 miles of River and Canal Towpath this Morning and saw 4 people, no fishermen. If people really want to fish there is plenty of space.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Club waters are open but the weather is utter pants... went on Monday... blanked... I was the only one on it... but I only live a mile or so from the lake

bryanh

Site Supporter
Pretty much the same up here in Scotland with the added difficulty that as most natural stillwater- venues are still carrying a bit of ice, prospects are not looking too good, especially as another big freeze is supposedly on the cards.

squimp

Site Supporter
Several pits round here (South Cerney) are open, both club waters and syndicates.

The one 1 fished is very quiet - 2 people on 27 acres.

weather here has been promising the last 2 days (up to 10 degrees) but the pits are all full to overflowing with very cold water so they haven’t warmed up enough to spark the fish into life.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Several pits round here (South Cerney) are open, both club waters and syndicates.

The one 1 fished is very quiet - 2 people on 27 acres.

weather here has been promising the last 2 days (up to 10 degrees) but the pits are all full to overflowing with very cold water so they haven’t warmed up enough to spark the fish into life.

I'm hoping the Beast from the East mk2 doesn't materialise into much but I give it a couple of weeks at least before I'll be out on the river anyway, and that's hoping!

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Both the commercials near me are are closed for the reasons @Zerkalo has mentioned, from my perspective the only issue is they are also where I get my live bait from so when my maggots have turned and I've run out of worm and pinkies, it will be bread bread and more bread. Unless I mail order.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
The fisheries I usually fish in winter, Tunnel Barn Farm and Barby Banks are both open, but are too far to travel, Clattercote, my nearest is closed for maintenance,but I’m supposed to be shielding anyway 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Here's another one which is 10 minute drive from me who falls under Staffs. I don't think they have really thought this one through as they are right on the border of Shropshire and as stated by people on their Facebook page, you could still travel miles through Shropshire, through several towns to get there. Saying Bridgnorth only would have been more sensible if they're doing it like that but it's still further from Bridgnorth than it is from me. It's often difficult fishing there in Winter anyway.

Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 15.23.17.jpg

piscatorial

My Club, Ashby Angling Club's waters are open, though one or two off them have only just thawed out.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Of the three commercials I would class as local (ie<10 miles) two are open and further afield down past Thirsk all the ones I would visit if I could are open too.

Simon