Most excited

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
My Greys tacklebase rucksacks. Was such a buzz getting them both for cheap before they become unobtanium.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Finally being able to use my new Shakespeare President Super Match 13ft rod, six months after I sent off the mail order slip and cheque to Bennett's. I cajoled my parents into letting me have it for my 19th birthday in a few days time. I rode down to the post box on my pushbike.It was the last day of the Christmas break from college. I posted the envelope and decided to ride on to the local pond at Marchwood Priory, to see if any of my mates were pike fishing there, mainly with the intention of showing off that I was getting one of the best rods on the market. But the banks were cold and empty. So I headed back home, crossing the Marchwood By-pass by the lodge house. It's on a sweeping bend. Plenty of time to see cars coming at 60mph. But not at 60-100mph. A car sped around the corner when I was already halfway across and hit me without braking. If the car had been a normal one, I would have died. But it was a Reliant Scimitar with a fibreglass body that absorbed much of the impact as it shattered. I broke my skull, both collar bones, all of my ribs, punctured my lung, broke my pelvis, right femur, left femur, and a complete compound shattering of my left tibia and fibia. I did the whole heading for the bright light thing as I nearly died. The only thing that stopped me going was as I was drifting out of life, I became aware of someone reading latin.It was a priest reading me the last rites. That suddenly shocked me into fighting and the light receded and having felt more comfortable than I ever had in my whole life, slowly but surely pain began to flood back. And I opened my eyes and I was back. Broken beyond belief, but back.
So six months later, on June 16th 1984 at midnight, with my left leg still in a full length plastercast I made the most eagerly anticipated cast of my life into Marchwood Priory lake. I fished for an hour before I went to sleep, and then fished again at dawn and caught a small carp and a tench. And the rod was absolutely superb. And I still have it.

rudd

Site Supporter
When I was a kid my dad bought me a trentman hollow glass match rod built by the late Jim Sharpe. I was so excited I couldn't sleep and when I got my first frame envelope on it's first outing, it was the icing on the cake. What item of tackle has caused you the most excitement?
My first ever own set up, Christmas present 1982.
12ft Sundrige Scorpio match, Ryobi LX02 reel pre loaded with line, cantilever tackle box, weight dispenser, few pkts of sundridge dipper hooks, disgorger, plummet and a set of sundridge dipper floats.
Due to severe winter and close season could not use until June 16th

173 days of decreasing then increasing excitement 😜

I get excited over any new kit tbh!

Had a brand new Maver VXR in living room for a week - set up with preston groundbait hoop/feeder arm/rests and a ridgemonkey bait station:

16106279805351270793624.jpg

Nicky Dodds

Finally being able to use my new Shakespeare President Super Match 13ft rod, six months after I sent off the mail order slip and cheque to Bennett's. I cajoled my parents into letting me have it for my 19th birthday in a few days time. I rode down to the post box on my pushbike.It was the last day of the Christmas break from college. I posted the envelope and decided to ride on to the local pond at Marchwood Priory, to see if any of my mates were pike fishing there, mainly with the intention of showing off that I was getting one of the best rods on the market. But the banks were cold and empty. So I headed back home, crossing the Marchwood By-pass by the lodge house. It's on a sweeping bend. Plenty of time to see cars coming at 60mph. But not at 60-100mph. A car sped around the corner when I was already halfway across and hit me without braking. If the car had been a normal one, I would have died. But it was a Reliant Scimitar with a fibreglass body that absorbed much of the impact as it shattered. I broke my skull, both collar bones, all of my ribs, punctured my lung, broke my pelvis, right femur, left femur, and a complete compound shattering of my left tibia and fibia. I did the whole heading for the bright light thing as I nearly died. The only thing that stopped me going was as I was drifting out of life, I became aware of someone reading latin.It was a priest reading me the last rites. That suddenly shocked me into fighting and the light receded and having felt more comfortable than I ever had in my whole life, slowly but surely pain began to flood back. And I opened my eyes and I was back. Broken beyond belief, but back.
So six months later, on June 16th 1984 at midnight, with my left leg still in a full length plastercast I made the most eagerly anticipated cast of my life into Marchwood Priory lake. I fished for an hour before I went to sleep, and then fished again at dawn and caught a small carp and a tench. And the rod was absolutely superb. And I still have it.
Brilliant!

R0B

I don't think I'll ever quite beat the excitement of the first fishing set, modest though it was. There is something about the unknown when you're a novice and haven't yet become disappointed with things or found they hampered you.
There was also the pair of Daiwa MGC carp rods 12 ft and 2.5 TC with autocast reels thrown in that my parents must have needed a second mortgage for one Christmas. My first "proper" specimen rods that could cast a float paternoster live bait without folding in half. To be honest I get excited about all the tackle really, even a pole float coming in the post.

tunna

When I was a kid my dad bought me a trentman hollow glass match rod built by the late Jim Sharpe. I was so excited I couldn't sleep and when I got my first frame envelope on it's first outing, it was the icing on the cake. What item of tackle has caused you the most excitement?
when i saw the title i thought you had found a stockist of WD40 over there :)

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
My first Zziplex 2500 beachcaster

it was back way when I was always broke, penniless, had a mrs and a young sprog to bring up, and also saving for a first mortgage

if I remember rightly the cash for that blank to be bought, then built, came from my nightwalks out netting rabbit and shooting pheasant and selling them to a local butcher, plus all the wheeling and dealing with motorbikes and extra carpentry works

the first time out was one night with a mate from down the road and we walked down to the warren beach and hoofed our leads out

what a relavation, even with my rudimentry skills, it blasted toward the horizon with ease, far exceeding the distances cast with my old Normark

Ive still got it, though its been re-ringed more than once and now sports the later powertex 5 ft carbon and I doubt if I ever will get rid of it, far to much invested in it, memory wise to ever go
I've still got a pair of Zippy 2500s and the pair of - plus a just-in-case-of-a-heron's nest spare - ABU 6500CTs that go with them. As good to-day for the average beach fisherman who's not built like Les Moncrieff or Neil McKellow as anything else.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Anything that i felt would prove its worth. Yes the first rod as lad for xmas then the anticipation of using it in the hols in terms of excitement, but the anticipation of using something that could enhance results, then a bait dropper for me, as it achieved what it needed to on its first outing, its like one of those cracked it moments.

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
The first time catching on a fake bait after trying on numerous occasions and failing. 365 Roach on a rubber caster on the cut, using a 4m whip in the middle of a storm feeding sloppy groundbait.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The first time catching on a fake bait after trying on numerous occasions and failing. 365 Roach on a rubber caster on the cut, using a 4m whip in the middle of a storm feeding sloppy groundbait.
I can imagine that’s a similar feeling to when you first start catching on lures, always start sceptical but then you are like ah they do work!

Pompous git

Site Supporter
My first creel ,i must have packed and unpacked it 20 times the first night ,i couldnt wait to get to the bank . I lived for fishing and although my tackle was all extremely cheap i loved it all . My first competition i came second on a river with about 2lb of silvers ,should have been more but my keepnet was full of holes . Some of the adults were fuming being beat by a teenager . Austin Clisset gave me some good tips of feeding little and often with bronze and white maggots . I didnt fish another competition for years as it scared me with the nasty comments a filthy looks ,i stuck to pleasure fishing but still had a great time always full of excitement.
Just reread this thread. I had a creel as well as a boy, I might as well have called it my `magic box` because that`s how I felt about
it. Believe it or not it replaced a metal ammunition box my old man had picked up from somewhere.

I used to love sitting in my uncles shed making my own flies and lures ,my best catches were on Arthur Coves nymphs or baby doll lures of various colours.
Many years ago I was given some flies tied by an old boy who didn`t fish but just enjoyed doing it. Dog knows what they were supposed
to represent but they were pretty fab, shame to ever use them in case I ever lose one. Although I never met the old boy myself it would be
nice to think that his efforts came to fruition so to speak. The mush was a gardener in Greenwich park and gave them to my father in law.

In a box in another box buried in the loft somewhere, doubt if they will ever see the light of day again.

Davethefish

Site Supporter
Just reread this thread. I had a creel as well as a boy, I might as well have called it my `magic box` because that`s how I felt about
it. Believe it or not it replaced a metal ammunition box my old man had picked up from somewhere.

Many years ago I was given some flies tied by an old boy who didn`t fish but just enjoyed doing it. Dog knows what they were supposed
to represent but they were pretty fab, shame to ever use them in case I ever lose one. Although I never met the old boy myself it would be
nice to think that his efforts came to fruition so to speak. The mush was a gardener in Greenwich park and gave them to my father in law.

In a box in another box buried in the loft somewhere, doubt if they will ever see the light of day again.
Dig'em out and give them to one of the fluff flingers on here so that once more they may spread their wings ! :)

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
My first fiberglass rod when I was a kid, it was a birthday present and although it was wrapped up, I knew what it was, (just call me Sherlock)! LÖL