Most enjoyable day in such a long time....

Joe C

Site Supporter
In the last few years I’ve struggled with what “direction” to take my angling. Should I be sat behind alarms fishing for big carp, Maybe I should be spending lots of money on a pole and take up match fishing? Should I “evolve” and start fishing big pits for specimens of all species?

So I did some soul searching and asked myself, what did I love about fishing as a child? The answer is seeing a float go under.

so I made a conscious decision a few weeks ago that when we could fish again I would relax, not worry about where my fishing was going and just float fish for pleasure from now on.
Today I went to the sedges fishery in Somerset and fished the canal lake for a mixed bag. I caught F1s, tench, crucians, roach, hybrids and skimmers. It was the most enjoyable day I’ve had in a long time.

looking forward to the rivers reopening so I can take my float fishing gear to the wye and try and catch my first barbel.

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
That’s really the point isn’t it, just enjoying a simple pleasure. I couldn’t be ar$ed with a discipline that demanded all my attention in a regimented manner like, I assume, match fishing, just sitting by water is pleasure enough and just watching the world go by. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not maligning match fishing, it just doesn’t float my particular boat, I’m happy talking the the ducks and watching a float!

In the real world that’s probably enough to get me locked away In a jacket that does up at the back!

62tucker

Site Supporter
When I was sorting my gear out for my 1st trip I thought to myself. Just take a 10ft float rod and stick with that for the session. If it goes quiet. Just reel in. Sit back and relax. And probably Nod off. Something satisfying about falling asleep on your peg in the sun.

Old git on a seatbox

Early memories of walking across a few soaked field to a mist shrouded lake.spending half an hour just soaking it all in and not rushing to wet a line but immersing myself in the moment.Feeling suddenly alive again as a big bream rolls in the murky water in the middle of the lake spurring me into reaching for my rod bag and releasing that. Length or cork and carbon that fills my soul with hope renewed as I head towards that first cast that begins the dream again.
Maybe I'm romanticising it a little but I can think of no better memory.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sounds good to me. Just fishing for bites covers most my fishing, nice relaxing way of fishing and you never know what you’ll catch on each cast :)

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
Most of my fishing is matches and I tend to fish to what I know and do best.
I used Thursday to put a bit of effort in to fishing shallow not something I do even if I go pleasure fishing.

But decided to give it a go it was a mess to start with but as the session went on I improved and managed to keep in contact with the fish.

I enjoyed it immensely and it gave me confidence in the method for when matches start again.

Old git on a seatbox

I started fishing close in method in last 2_3 hrs if a session on my local commercial and found putting in 5_6 big balls of ringers dark and 2mm carp pellets to prime it worked wonders.i had over 70lb of carp and good sized bream.will definitely be doing again and again.