Most different species in a day.

satinet

Site Supporter
Just thinking about the thread about weight what's the most species you've had in a day. My local commie used to have a match lake stocked with many types of fish. One memorable season on the wag' they were crawling up the net and I caught

Roach
Rudd
Bream
Tench
Crucians
Barbel
Gudgeon
Carp (common and mirror)
Chub
Perch

P.s hope it did it stops raining soon.
:)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I did a thread on this best part of a couple years ago. That was prompted by a session on the Waveney where I had 7 species which was just shy of my best total of 8 which I’ve done a few times on the Thames with various combinations of about 10 species. If you counted sub species of carp and hybrids I’ve probably done 8 on all sorts of places tbh. I suspect I’ve probably done 8 in a day sea fishing here as well, probably 10 plus in Florida, just never really thought about it then.

Last edited:

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Our club lakes hold 13 different species of fish (including Barbel), and I've had a minimum of one of each species in an 8 hour session, but it's not always like that.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Not that many in one day unfortunately, probably 5 - Carp, Barbel, Tench, Roach, Orfe from a commercial beating the local river of 4 or 5 of various combinations but usually - Chub, Roach, Dace, Perch, Gudgeon. But I have had a wider variety of species from both venues. The small local river in particular has thrown up 11 - Chub, Barbel, Roach, Golden Orfe, Dace, Perch, Bream, Pike, Brown Trout, Eels and Gudgeon.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
From the Thames in total I’ve had roach, dace, bronze bream, silver bream, bleak, chub, rudd, perch, ruffe, gudgeon, pike and minnow so you could theoretically clear 15 species from it when you consider there’s the odd barbel, tench, brown trout and zander in it as well. I think 10 is the most you could realistically do in a day though.

alsur

Site Supporter
From the Thames in total I’ve had roach, dace, bronze bream, silver bream, bleak, chub, rudd, perch, ruffe, gudgeon, pike and minnow so you could theoretically clear 15 species from it when you consider there’s the odd barbel, tench, brown trout and zander in it as well. I think 10 is the most you could realistically do in a day though.
You can add Carp, Eel and Catfish to the list plus I've caught Flounder at Richmond.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The only additional species I could imagine coming from my weir are Carp (have been reported), Zander (I'm sure I lost one at the net), Bleak (I'm glad there's none), Minnows (again glad there are none), and Grayling (it's a long shot). It blows me away the variety for a river you can mostly jump across.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You can add Carp, Eel and Catfish to the list plus I've caught Flounder at Richmond.
Oh yeah carp that was an obvious one to miss. Don’t think you’d realistically get a cat or eel up here though let alone a flounder!

Carl c

A few weeks ago on partridge lakes I had a couple of f1s,bream,skimmers,ide,Nice common,and a golden tench well happy with the tench first time ever

alsur

Site Supporter
Oh yeah carp that was an obvious one to miss. Don’t think you’d realistically get a cat or eel up here though let alone a flounder!
Probably more Eels than you think but a lot rarer now, Catfish are in more places than people think I've heard of the coming out of Thames around Walton and the Canal near me, you would have to target them and like Eels come out more at night.

MarkW

11 is my best, a grayling in the morning from the Frome, a rare catch from the tidal, with 10 species from Lee Lakes near Broadlands in the afternoon. It was odd I didn't get the more usual dace and eels from the Frome.
Best on the Thames was 8 though 5 or 6 is far from rare.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Best on the Thames was 8 though 5 or 6 is far from rare.
Yeah on the Thames it’s par for the coarse to get 5 or 6 especially if fishing maggot or caster. Even hemp fishing I’ve had roach, dace, chub, bleak and silver bream on it in the same day often and occasionally skimmers as well.

alsur

Site Supporter
Must admit I haven't really counted that much when I did last year on Wey I had 7 possibly the most in one session.
Gudgeon, Minnow, Dace, Roach, Chub, Perch and Grayling

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
Many years ago I had a terrible day on the Ouse above York, catching 9 fish for about 8oz!

A roach, rudd, bleak, dace, gudgeon, perch, minnow, ruffe and a chubblet!