More Snow

genesis

Canis Manducare Canis
Site Supporter
Horrendous around our ways this morning. About 2 inches of snow and things just clearing up now. Buses stuck. cars stuck and dumped and gritter can’t get passed.
And guess what the council are blaming it on. ?
Yes you guessed.
Covid.
With schools closed there’s not enough cars on the roads.
Wonder who got blame last 30 years I have lived here. As same every year
BREXIT ;)

It's getting blamed for everything else.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Snowing heavy here at the moment, was raining an hour ago. shrug 2.gif

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just had a sprinkling tonight covering the garden. Probably be gone by the morning.
20210108_214551.jpg

frankg

Site Supporter
Talking of snow.....what about cars?
I continually hear that front wheel drive cars are better than rear wheel in the snow....My experience says it’s the other way around!!
Front wheel drive cars I’ve had have been found wanting on snow, whereas rear wheel ones have sailed through.
Examples.....I had a Datsun 120Y (don’t laugh) many years ago....now, the road behind my 1st house was a very long hill about 1/4 mile long. One morning everywhere was covered in snow...there was a long line of cars the length of the hill with spinning wheels....facing forwards, sideways...all over the place! I came out in my little Datsun and sailed right up the inside and over the hill without a hint of a problem!!
The other time I remember was when a mate and me were going to fish the River Ettrick for Salmon one early October. We got as far as Hawick in my 2L Ford Granada, and then it snowed heavily all the way to our bed and breakfast pub.
Again it sailed through all the thick snow with no problem.
I wouldn’t have had the same confidence in a fwd car!!

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Dont know why but the Old Transit was easier to Hand Brake outta control in the snow.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've only driven one RWD car and that was a mid engined MR2, with a car like that you can drive it in snow and driving it carefully it handled it ok, but I think it's more likely to be a bad spin out if you do lose traction. Probably different when the engine is in the front but I've never driven one.

rudd

Site Supporter
Snow? Rain? Tropical 4 deg today on Suffolk coast. Shorts on.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I think it’s only properly snowed here twice since I’ve been able to drive and being fairly green at driving then I didn’t risk it til the roads were cleared. One of those years was so bad that my dads old land rover was still all over the place so normal cars were almost unusable.

frankg

Site Supporter
I think it’s only properly snowed here twice since I’ve been able to drive and being fairly green at driving then I didn’t risk it til the roads were cleared. One of those years was so bad that my dads old land rover was still all over the place so normal cars were almost unusable.
I’m thinking of a Subaru Outback for my next car 😁

H T B

Site Supporter
Madrid has a bit of the white stuff
They just don’t know what to do!!! 🤪

frankg

Site Supporter
Madrid has a bit of the white stuff
They just don’t know what to do!!! 🤪
Yes, I was watching it on Aragon TV on Satellite...they went to Madrid, Zaragoza, Teruel and Huesca....all covered in the worst snow for 50 years!! Looked lovely though!! ☃️