More Pole Questions....

MikeT Amman

Site Supporter
So I purchased a second hand pole a few days back to dip my toes... picked up a maver grim reaper 2 1300 in A1 condition for £80 included 2 top kits and a cupping kit. could anyone please answer some of the following questions for me.

• have you owned on of these, what are your thoughts, any tips advice or things to watch out for.
  • the 2 top kits are 2 pieces, am I right in thinking the 2 piece top kits are "power kits" and a match kit would be 3 piece.
  • what elastic would you use, i'm going to mainly be fishing small natural-ish still waters with silvers, tench ,bream, f1's but also and carp just into double figures, i'm trying to start as cheap as possible incase im not into this style of fishing, solid elastics are a lot cheaper why should/shouldn't I use budget solid elastics.
  • would it be worth fitting side pullers, i'm quite handy and could manage this myself.
  • I can't seem to find additional top kits which is understandable as its an old pole, i've read that some of the grim reaper poles were interchangeable, any idea which ones are, if not any idea which universal ones would fit.

adriang

Site Supporter
I've come to the conclusion that match vs 'power kits' is not that important, which is a 180 for me, as I used to subscribe to the idea that a thinner tip with a bit of spring is good for silvers with lighter elactics.

What I'm now looking for is that the elastic can do its work, doesn't stick to the insides of the tip sections especially when its wet, so I want a rigid pole so pretty well most top kits will do the job.

I'm not familiar with your pole, and how long the 2 piece top kits are, but personally I would not worry about side pullers. I would use puller bungs assuming they would fit. The Drennan ones come in packs of 2, so that could sort out the 2 kits you have. I'd elastic through the entire top kit and if they are a decent length (around 1 1/2 meters or more) I would put nbr 4 in one, and nbr 6 in the other. If they are shorter, then I'd put 6 in one and 8 in the other (the idea being to step down an elastic grade if you've got the puller bung and a bit more elastic in your pole). Some might go heavier, but personally I prefer to go a little lighter as I think heavier elastic with smaller fish caused me to bump more fish, but its still possible to get carp landed if your taking your time. (not match fishing!)

If you take the pole to a tackle shop, they should be able to match top kits to it (for example I got hold of an old Tricast pole for my Father, and my local shop cut back an old stock Browning top kit to fit it.) If you bought the gear to elastic from them, they would probably do it for you and advise on what the best options are.

MikeT Amman

Site Supporter
I've come to the conclusion that match vs 'power kits' is not that important, which is a 180 for me, as I used to subscribe to the idea that a thinner tip with a bit of spring is good for silvers with lighter elactics.

What I'm now looking for is that the elastic can do its work, doesn't stick to the insides of the tip sections especially when its wet, so I want a rigid pole so pretty well most top kits will do the job.

I'm not familiar with your pole, and how long the 2 piece top kits are, but personally I would not worry about side pullers. I would use puller bungs assuming they would fit. The Drennan ones come in packs of 2, so that could sort out the 2 kits you have. I'd elastic through the entire top kit and if they are a decent length (around 1 1/2 meters or more) I would put nbr 4 in one, and nbr 6 in the other. If they are shorter, then I'd put 6 in one and 8 in the other (the idea being to step down an elastic grade if you've got the puller bung and a bit more elastic in your pole). Some might go heavier, but personally I prefer to go a little lighter as I think heavier elastic with smaller fish caused me to bump more fish, but its still possible to get carp landed if your taking your time. (not match fishing!)

If you take the pole to a tackle shop, they should be able to match top kits to it (for example I got hold of an old Tricast pole for my Father, and my local shop cut back an old stock Browning top kit to fit it.) If you bought the gear to elastic from them, they would probably do it for you and advise on what the best options are.
Thanks for your reply, it’s greatly appreciated. I think I’ll take your advice and take the top
Kits to a decent tackle shop and ask them to help me out.
There’s just so many option, and buying an old second hand pole means there’s not a lot online about specs and elastic ratings.
Last thing I want it to over gun on elastic and damage the pole, or under gun and have it stretched the full width of the lake.
Once I get everything sorted I’ll be finding a quiet venue so I can make a knob of myself without too many watching eyes. 😂

satinet

Some match top kits are two piece and some are three. Depends on the manufacturer and particular pole or packege of that pole even. You can even get top 1s I believe.

I've only recently started pole fishing and I would say setting up your kit is Very important. You need at least 1 reasonable roller in my view, if you are going to fish at any great length (2 for the full 13m if that's what it is). Decathlon rollers are perfectly ok.

You can get cheap elastic from say srg pole floats or on eBay.or nufish stuff. I would elasticate your two top kits so one starts where the other leaves off. Say a 6-10 and the other heavier.

Srg pole floats are pretty cheap as well. I find them ok.

I don't use side pullers in my top kits. I don't doubt it's slightly better but really you want to concentrate on your shipping out etc before you start worrying about too much. I wouldn't go out of my way to install them anyway. Bottom pullers work fine. They're also easy to elasticate.

Additional top kits will probably just be ones that have the right diameter from other poles or universal top kits.

Last edited:

MikeT Amman

Site Supporter
Some match top kits are two piece and some are three. Depends on the manufacturer and particular pole or packege of that pole even. You can even get top 1s I believe.

I've only recently started pole fishing and I would say setting up your kit is Very important. You need at least 1 reasonable roller in my view, if you are going to fish at any great length (2 for the full 13m if that's what it is). Decathlon rollers are perfectly ok.

You can get cheap elastic from say srg pole floats or on eBay.or nufish stuff. I would elasticate your two top kits so one starts where the other leaves off. Say a 6-10 and the other heavier.

Srg pole floats are pretty cheap as well. I find them ok.

I don't use side pullers in my top kits. I don't doubt it's slightly better but really you want to concentrate on your shipping out etc before you start worrying about too much. I wouldn't go out of my way to install them anyway. Bottom pullers work fine. They're also easy to elasticate.

Additional top kits will probably just be ones that have the right diameter from other poles or universal top kits.
Thank you for your reply,
So what about having no puller system what so ever, just standard bungs or winder bungs. Would you then use a higher number elastic because you can’t shorten the elastic while playing fish?

satinet

Thank you for your reply,
So what about having no puller system what so ever, just standard bungs or winder bungs. Would you then use a higher number elastic because you can’t shorten the elastic while playing fish?
I would definitely want a puller. If you get a unexpectedly big fish on a light elastic it can be a right job getting it in even with a puller.

Couple of points I would say is that pullers aren't hard to use when playing fish and aren't hard to install either. You need some sort of bung whatever you do so you might as well.

I think I got my pullers from nick Gilbert floats.. they were pretty cheap.

MikeT Amman

Site Supporter
I would definitely want a puller. If you get a unexpectedly big fish on a light elastic it can be a right job getting it in even with a puller.

Couple of points I would say is that pullers aren't hard to use when playing fish and aren't hard to install either. You need some sort of bung whatever you do so you might as well.

I think I got my pullers from nick Gilbert floats.. they were pretty cheap.
Ok great, thanks again for your replies. I’ll be off to the tackle shop on the weekend to check out what they have.
It’s a bit daunting not having a rod and reel. And the possibility of having a double figure carp on a stretchy piece of elastic lol 😂

MikeT Amman

Site Supporter
I thought the Grim Reaper was a carp pole, so there is a good chance that the top kits you have are power kits.
I think the pole is possibly close to 20 years old, and there where many iterations of it. It’s hard to find much info to be honest. A bit of google shows that match top kits were available for it and even came with the original pole packages. Would a 12-14 solid elastic be to much?

adriang

Site Supporter
Would a 12-14 solid elastic be to much?
in the power kit it would be fine. If you've got a match kits, I would assume thats pushing it a bit. Tackle shop should be able to help identify what tops you have, but if its already has a bush on the tip, the size would be a good indication, as a larger diameter indicates thicker elastic was previously used.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I think the pole is possibly close to 20 years old, and there where many iterations of it. It’s hard to find much info to be honest. A bit of google shows that match top kits were available for it and even came with the original pole packages. Would a 12-14 solid elastic be to much?
Some of the earlier Maverick poles were a bit fragile. I would think 12-14 elastic may be pushing it , even in the power kits.

MikeT Amman

Site Supporter
Some of the earlier Maverick poles were a bit fragile. I would think 12-14 elastic may be pushing it , even in the power kits.
thanks for your reply, I think my best bet would be the tackle shop.... problem is tackle shop visits are like a kid in a sweet shop kinda thing :D

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
given the range you are trying to cover I would suggest hybrid elastic, it is a little bit more expensive than solid but very flexible in its use being soft and ideal combined with a puller.

1x top kit preston dura size 5
1 x top kit preston dura size 9 (or 11) your choice.

the smaller one will cover all your silvers, the 2nd the tench, F1 and give you a chance with the lower double carp.
A puller would be essential to give you the greater flexibility, I prefer side pullers but bottom pullers will also do the job.

ideally additional top kits would be the preferred option, you can get good quality universal kits for around £30 that can be cut to fit your number 4

MikeT Amman

Site Supporter
given the range you are trying to cover I would suggest hybrid elastic, it is a little bit more expensive than solid but very flexible in its use being soft and ideal combined with a puller.

1x top kit preston dura size 5
1 x top kit preston dura size 9 (or 11) your choice.

the smaller one will cover all your silvers, the 2nd the tench, F1 and give you a chance with the lower double carp.
A puller would be essential to give you the greater flexibility, I prefer side pullers but bottom pullers will also do the job.

ideally additional top kits would be the preferred option, you can get good quality universal kits for around £30 that can be cut to fit your number 4
thanks for this, I was looking at 12 - 14 solid and judging by all the answers thats a bit over the top. think ill go with puller bungs for now, and if I enjoy it all purchase some universal kits so i've got a bit more selection without having to mess with top kits all the time.
the Preston dura seems really popular, I don't mind spending a bit extra if its going to improve the experience.

satinet

As said above hybrid has a wider range combined with a puller.

Search eBay for hybrid pole elastic. It's 4.99 for 3m. Seller is called hybridpoleelastic.

You need some Dacrons as well.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
As a user of an old pole (2003 Preston) then I can say that hybrid elastic has been superb for me.

I use Preston Dura Hybrid in 7 to 15 spread over 6 top kits and can land anything from tiny bleak to 14lb carp on these setups

All my top kits have MAP puller bungs fitted too which are the simplest thing on earth to fit but perform faultlessly.

MikeT Amman

Site Supporter
As a user of an old pole (2003 Preston) then I can say that hybrid elastic has been superb for me.

I use Preston Dura Hybrid in 7 to 15 spread over 6 top kits and can land anything from tiny bleak to 14lb carp on these setups

All my top kits have MAP puller bungs fitted too which are the simplest thing on earth to fit but perform faultlessly.
thanks old taff, ive followed some of the above advice and ordered some number 5 and 9 Preston dura hybrid as well as a couple of Drennan pull bungs. ill have a go with these and see how I get on.
I think the biggest Carp in my local water is around 13lb ish, but they average around 7lb.
ill be sure to make a post about my first pole fishing trip so everyone can have a laugh lol

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
thanks for this, I was looking at 12 - 14 solid and judging by all the answers thats a bit over the top. think ill go with puller bungs for now, and if I enjoy it all purchase some universal kits so i've got a bit more selection without having to mess with top kits all the time.
the Preston dura seems really popular, I don't mind spending a bit extra if its going to improve the experience.
hi Mike

I quoted Preston (and its good stuff) but in reality of the ones I've used all do the job. Nick Gilbert does a great range at a great price and Slik is just superb......

MikeT Amman

Site Supporter
hi Mike

I quoted Preston (and its good stuff) but in reality of the ones I've used all do the job. Nick Gilbert does a great range at a great price and Slik is just superb......
ive just ordered them, they're only £4.99 for 3 meters which I though was very reasonable. ill check nick Gilbert out also.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
As usual I do things "wrong" :)

I still use a solid elastic (no puller) for my Summer fishing on commercials. 16 most of the time, 14 if the fish are smaller. In fact on Sunday I was using a solid 14 even though it was a silvers only match. I very rarely bump small fish even on that elastic. People tell me I should be bumping loads, I can only say I don't without being able to explain why or how. Sunday I landed fish from half ounce roach to 4lb carp. I may have lost two of the tiny roach.

In Winter, depending on venue and expected stamp of fish I will still use the 14 but also a hybrid 12-14 in topkits with a puller (self fitted).

I now use Nick Gilbert's elastics. The solid (14 & 16) is his latex (multi coloured) at £3.50 for 6m. The hybrid (Matrix Slik type) 12-14 is his Ultra Core, £8 for 6m. Used that last Winter for the first time and was very impressed.

You do have to find your own way with elastics and use what you are comfortable with.