More of a Shop Review - Bass Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
They are having their annual week-long spring sale. I went, I saw, I bought.

My wife and I have come to do most of our year's lure and major tackle shopping during this week. To give you an idea why:

2 Spinning Rod Combos (rod & fixed spool reel)
2 Casting rods (multiplier rods)
53 Lures (I'm counting packets of 3 weedless grub heads as 1 lure)
12 Bags of various soft plastics.
6 gallons of 2 cycle low ash oil for the outboard motor.
4 Rod Holders (upright and only for holding a rod while traveling)

Total was $372 US and $60 of that was for the oil.

So, if any of you are lure anglers and have occasion to visit the US during the 2nd week of March some year, give them a look. Shoot, give a look even if you don't do lures. They are something to see. Boats, clothing, guns, outdoor cooking equipment, tents, and a few zillion other things in addition to lots of rods, reels, lines, lures, hooks, etc. Large shop of fly fishing rods, reels, and bits.

My only complaint is the complete absence of boilies, mixes, particles, and most of the specialized floats and such you folks have.

As part of the festivities, they had several well-known professional bass anglers demonstrating various lures and techniques. They use a large tank with glass sides and full of various species of fish for this. It has a platform at one end up top for the angler and everyone else can stand down on the main floor and watch thru the glass. Not only the action of the lure but the reaction of fish who are well fed and who have "seen it all" thru the years.

Each Bass Pro Shop has one of these tanks. About 50ft long by 10ft high and containing at least one of each fresh water species to be found in the state where the store is located.

Our carp is a common of around 20lbs I think.

Newt Vail

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Cant wait to see it!!

Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
quote:Cant wait to see it!!Trev

You got a camera? Otherwise, without photos, no one will believe you when you return home.

My plan is to take you out lure fishing the day after you arrive. Then, next day start off with a trip to the Bass Pro since you will have a better idea of what you like and can "shop till you drop" icon_smile_big.gif

To give you a bit of an advance idea - the counter where they sell reels (nothing else but reels) has a staff of 3 to 4 on weekdays and 6 or more on weekends. And while most of the boats are on display outside, there are usually a dozen or more inside.

BTW - for your lure testing pleasure (and assuming you are fixed spool rather than multiplier) I have ready for you a 6ft very limber rod, a 7ft very stiff rod, and a 6 medium action. Also - just in case the fish ain't having lures at any given time (and so you won't feel deprived) an 8 ft, very limber rod for bait fishing.

The above is absolutely no indication that I am any sort of tackle tart either. Well, on second though, maybe it is. icon_smile_big.gif

And for anyone who hasn't figured it out yet, I have talked Trev into dropping in for a week of fishing and such like.

Newt Vail

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Hell Newt, I didnt take a lotta persuading?

Yes Folks, I'm going to try and take the curse over to America! May end up sinking Newts boat!
There'll be a lot of questions posted in the near future, Like What's a Gar?, or a Crappie? , but I hope to come back with a host of Unique PB's and win Ray's Award as the farthest fishing traveller!

Thanks a million again for the opportunity Newt.

Would love to return in 2003 if we like it LOL

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Trev - I plan to have at least as much fun as you do and maybe more (after all, I'm older and have more experience ROFLMAO).

Newt Vail

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Oh geesh Newt,

What have you done, Trev in the USA icon_smile_question.gif sounds like a song from Bruce Springsteen icon_smile_big.gif

I'm sure that there's something in the American Constitution that says that you can't allow anyone or anything to be a threat to America, including the Zippy Curse

Seriously, go for it Trev but travel light, very light, 'cause you'll be getting a few orders to take with you for braid, reels, and anything else we can think of before ye go icon_smile_approve.gif

Dave

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Dave - one thing I am going to be sure and have Trev bring home with him is a nice cast iron cooking pot /w lid. Excellent for cooking over a fire for a group. Fish-ins come to mind.

The only slight problem I can think of is the thing weighs a bit over 80lbs (whew - make that 37Kg cause that sounds lighter somehow).

Newt Vail

Status
Not open for further replies.