More New PC Frustrations

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I posted a few weeks ago about the issues I was having in getting my new PC up & running. I am still in the mood to throw the thing out of the window.

First, I imported all my files using an external hard drive from old to new PC. All went OK but I have now discovered that all my Open Office documents have been made into MS Office docs. I don't have MS Office and when trying to open the docs with Open Office the docs load as Read Only. Grrrrrrrrrr.

Now I am trying to place websites like MD onto the Start menu as a tile. Simple says the internet

" The Microsoft Edge browser included with Windows 10 makes this easy. First, head to the website you want to pin to your Start menu. Click or tap the menu button and select “Pin This Page to Start”.

Fine but I click the dropdown menu only to find I don't have an option to PinThis Page To Start. Only Pin To Taskbar, having done this the website icon is on the taskbar but not a tile on the Start menu. Double Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

I preferred the old appearance of Win 10 with the darker background to Taskbar etc. But in the settings I cannot choose to change the appearance of the Taskbar. Triple Grrrrrrrrrr.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I take it you have got Open Office installed?

If so you most likely need to associate file types with the program

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
If you open the site you want, go into settings top right click on Apps. Click install this site as an app.
Close window, left click start to bring up apps then drag and drop it onto desktop.
Only way i can find to do it.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Or simply right click..from drop-down choose 'send to Desktop (create shortcut)'?

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I thought that computers were supposed to do things for you. Why can't you just say, "computer, fix this"?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Because I am not Scotty and this is not NCC-1701.A Enterprise.

NCC 1701 A.PNG

But the good news is I have fixed frustration No.2 and got the app as a tile in the Start menu. From the drop down box I had to select Apps/Manage Apps/right click the app, then select Pin to and then check Start Menu.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I hate setting up a new machine... so much effort and fiddling just to get it working how I like it.

You have my sympathies.

1600875610275.png

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Evening Neil,

You may not feeling like doing it at the moment, but I suggest you ditch Microsoft Edge as your web browser, in my opinion it's as flawed as it's predecessor Internet Explorer became. My suggestion would be to download and install one of these.

Google Chrome

Firefox

Don't forget to say yes to option to make whichever you choose the Default Program to open websites.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I have to admit that I I have never had an issue with IE or Edge. Possibly something I am just ignorant of or don't recognise as a problem.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I take it you have got Open Office installed?

If so you most likely need to associate file types with the program

Thanks Dave. Your link seems to have solved the issue. That and a couple of other things. First was that I transferred the files before installing Open Office. This I think caused the documents to load as Word. I have also opened a new Admin identity and transferred all my files into that. Now the documents are shown as OO and open in writeable format.

davylad

Site Supporter
We always get there in the end Neil, don't forget it's all knowledge you're gaining along the way too. (y)

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
But I forget it when it comes time to renew again. Or they change the systems yet again. :cry:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thanks Dave. Your link seems to have solved the issue. That and a couple of other things. First was that I transferred the files before installing Open Office. This I think caused the documents to load as Word. I have also opened a new Admin identity and transferred all my files into that. Now the documents are shown as OO and open in writeable format.

What??????? no need for WD40 or a large hammer!!!!!!!!! :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

davylad

Site Supporter
I'm having problems with mirroring at the minute Neil, I just can't get my TV to recognise my computer. It's bound to be a box that needs ticking or unticking somewhere, or maybe just an uninstall and reinstall, frustrating. :unsure:

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I'm having problems with mirroring at the minute Neil, I just can't get my TV to recognise my computer. It's bound to be a box that needs ticking or unticking somewhere, or maybe just an uninstall and reinstall, frustrating. :unsure:

Strangely I managed to link my Sharp TV & laptop without any bother last week. PC won't link to the TV because of the distance.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I have tried to follow this thread but it is like 2 double Dutchman talking Swahili ?