More EU rubbish

Status
Not open for further replies.

hookit

Account Locked
Reading the BBC report below makes you think. Should we Yorkshiremen complain if we see Yorkshire Puddings on the menu in anyother part of the country then Yorkshire? Lancashire hotpot what can we call it in Yorkshire. Can I only have Eccles cakes if they are baked in Eccles Lancashire. The list is endless and pointless, why on earth do they waste so much time and money on this kind of cr*p.

Feta cheese battle reaches court

Feta has been made in Greece for 6,000 years
A row over whether only Greece should be allowed to label its cheese feta has reached the European Court of Justice.
The Danish and German governments are challenging a European Commission ruling which said Greece should have sole rights to use the name.

The Commission's decision gave the same legal protection to feta as to Italian Parma ham and French Champagne.

But critics of the judgement say feta is a generic term, with the cheese produced widely outside Greece.

Exclusive use

The Commission's controversial 2002 ruling gave "protected designation of origin" status to feta cheese made in Greece, effectively restricting the use of the feta name to producers there.

We do not have any other name for this type of cheese

Hans Arne Kristiansen, Danish Dairy Board

From 2007 onwards, Greek firms will have the exclusive use of the feta label and producers elsewhere in Europe must find another name to describe their products.

The German and Danish governments argue that feta does not relate to a specific geographical area and that their firms have been producing and exporting the cheese for years.

"In our opinion it is a generic designation and we do not have any other name or term for this type of cheese," Hans Arne Kristiansen, a spokesman for the Danish Dairy Board, told the BBC.

Denmark is Europe's second largest producer of feta after Greece - producing about 30,000 tonnes a year - and exports its products to Greece.

It is concerned that the ruling could threaten the production of other cheeses in Denmark such as brie.

"It would cost millions if we wanted to introduce a new designation," Mr Kristiansen said. "That is just one of the costs."

British impact

The case will also have a major impact on Britain's sole feta producer, Yorkshire company Shepherds Purse Cheeses.

It's very clear from the label that it's Yorkshire feta

Judy Bell, Shepherds Purse Cheeses

Judy Bell, the company's founder, said it would cost a huge amount to rebrand its product.

"If we lose we will have to go through a massive re-merchandising process and reorganisation," she said.

"We have never tried to pull the wool over anyone's eyes - it's very clear from the label that it's Yorkshire feta."

The original decision was a victory for Greece, where feta cheese is believed to have been produced for about 6,000 years.

Feta is a soft white cheese made from sheep or goat's milk, and is an essential ingredient in Greek cuisine.

Greece makes 115,000 tonnes, mainly for domestic consumption.

The Court is expected to reach a verdict in the case in the autumn.

midge99

If it's made with the same ingrediants then what is the problem

Thom

why dont they just label it IGAT'L...

I got around the law [:)]

i reckon i have a place in cheese making!

Enigma

Armchair Carper
Who cares so long as someone still makes the dammn stuff as I like a good lump of feta with my salads

Don

Small local producers of "Melton Mowbray" pork pies won the right to exclusivity of the brand name from the EU in a ruling against H.W Farnsworth or Pork Farms Pork pies. This enabled the small producers of a quality product to remain in business and produce the pies under the name they have used for over 100 years and to adhere to a strict quality guidline of the pies and their contents. It also stopped Pork Farms labelling and selling inferior pork pies of dubious quality made by mass production under the "Melton Mowbray" label.

Apparently Pork Farms are appealing the decision.

Theres good,bad and darn right stupid decisions made by the EU but in this case I beleive justice was done and the decision is right and proper.

Having said that I still feel that this country should withdraw from the EU and all its trading laws and regulations as soon as we possibly can, Ted Heath conned the country into the common market and probably got some yatch varnish in his back pocket for doing so!

The common Market or the "EU" have taken the English money out of circulation,they have taken our weights and measures out of circulation,they intend to take the English system of measurement out of circulation,they intend to have all maps of europe showing our Island but the name "ENGLAND" will not be on the maps!
In any language this is ETHNIC CLEANSING of the ENGLISH RACE!

Don

Less serious Hookit old son but why not call the cheese PHETA lmfao?

FishingManiac

Ohh you can always rely on Hookit for all these exciting threads... [:p]

Only joking mate!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.