More DIY advice please, this time it is architrave.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I have to fit some 68mm X 19mm architrave to 5 doors. Yesterday I removed the existing trim and on several of the doors the door jamb is not level with the plasterboard. The plaster is up to 4 or 5mm proud of the jamb in places. I am wondering if there is a special chippie's trick to get round this. The only alternatives that I can see are extra caulking between the jamb and the architrave or sanding down the plaster to make it flush, which is likely to be messy. To add to the problem the architrave is a different colour to the jamb.
All suggestions appreciated
Thanks
Dave

mickthestick

Hod job
Site Supporter
You can add 5mm strips of wood that you can buy, to the frame to bring the frame flush to the plaster , then fix your architrave

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Thanks for the replies.
The problem is the gap isn't a consistent 5mm. It varies from 1 to 5.
Matt, I'm afraid my talent and my tool kit aren't up to rebating all (or any) of the arc. :)

mickthestick

Hod job
Site Supporter
You could offer the arch up and draw around with a pencil , then score plaster with a knife and remove the plaster that's proud of the frame

Arch

Site Supporter
You could offer the arch up and draw around with a pencil , then score plaster with a knife and remove the plaster that's proud of the frame

Come on then, I'll take on all comers...........

;);)

breadflake

Site Supporter
Use 4mm strips as advised, tack them 4mm back from the frame then fix the architrave 4mm back from the front edge of the strip, it will look like part of the profile.