Moral decline

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
each to his own, but I sincerely believe in gods, I have my own personal one yet remain in deference to others

I also believe in fairies, sprites, and all manner of spirits, places of prescence, holy places,

there are things far beyond the eyes of men,
I totally agree mate, why should we be so arrogant to believe that we are the only ones, just because we can't see stuff, doesn't mean it don't exist.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
You'll be believing in spiritualists next..... I've got a George coming through........o_O

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
One of the seven Principles of Spiritualism

Personal Responsibility

This Principle is the one which places responsibility for wrongful thoughts and deeds where it belongs, with the individual. It is the acceptance of responsibility for every aspect of our lives, and the use to which we put our lives depends entirely upon ourselves. It is not possible for any other person or outside influence to interfere with our spiritual development, unless we are willing to allow this. As we are given freedom of choice (freewill), so also are we given the ability to recognise what is right and wrong for our own spirituality. We are personally responsible for all our words, deeds and thoughts.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Just going back to the Hays Code, something that fascinates me, in old movies you could not sympathise with criminals according to the code, so a lot of the time even though you might sympathise with the criminal throughout the film, an ending would be tagged on with them getting nicked! The bad guy would never get away with it.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
To be frank I disagree with the idea that we are a completely immoral society - the majority of people are decent. And because they live their lives in a moral way they cannot understand how others get away with what they would consider to be a wicked way of life.

I have no fear, but then, I have no god, prefer to deal in logic and facts, rather than live by the made up books of the sky fairies.

I agree with Mac and Chris.

My view is that
a) decent morals change over time to reflect the society that we live in (eg. look at the changes Regency - Victorian - modern day)
b) whilst morals can be a very personal thing - the shared morals of the society are most important as they underpin the way that we interact. ie. Laws reflect moral values, they do not create them.

Whilst religions can be a very effective way of agreeing, communicating and re-inforcing a particular morality - they are no less subject to the same risks of extremist takeover and unwillingness to adapt over time to changing experience and circumstances.

So people of a generation or two younger than us may have a different perspective - prioritising environment and personal freedom to choose over fixed hierarchies and "traditional" family units (for example). That isn't change for change's sake - it's evolution of society.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
If you got back to Victorian times I hear you could buy Cocaine from a Chemist and Opium was common in sweets!

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I agree with Mac and Chris.

My view is that
a) decent morals change over time to reflect the society that we live in (eg. look at the changes Regency - Victorian - modern day)
b) whilst morals can be a very personal thing - the shared morals of the society are most important as they underpin the way that we interact. ie. Laws reflect moral values, they do not create them.

Whilst religions can be a very effective way of agreeing, communicating and re-inforcing a particular morality - they are no less subject to the same risks of extremist takeover and unwillingness to adapt over time to changing experience and circumstances.

So people of a generation or two younger than us may have a different perspective - prioritising environment and personal freedom to choose over fixed hierarchies and "traditional" family units (for example). That isn't change for change's sake - it's evolution of society.

A good post. Religion is an invention, but it was invented thousands of years ago (long before Christianity) because society wanted something to bind them together, and to lay down rules. Those rules are roughly what society wanted and needed.

As an example: the Romans used to leave all male children outside the night after they were born. That was an accepted - and acceptable - practice to determine whether they were sufficiently healthy to not be a burden on society. So few would have questioned it. BUT society - as NoCarpPlease states - evolves. leaving male children outside whatever the weather does not now seem a good idea. And it's impossible to say what will happen in the future.

That's why people are 'angry', because corruption seems to be so widespread that it may be that, in the distant future, it will become acceptable. People like me think that is not a good idea!

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Its about doing what's right... not what you want or what gives you the easy way out

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
A good post. Religion is an invention, but it was invented thousands of years ago (long before Christianity) because society wanted something to bind them together, and to lay down rules. Those rules are roughly what society wanted and needed.

As an example: the Romans used to leave all male children outside the night after they were born. That was an accepted - and acceptable - practice to determine whether they were sufficiently healthy to not be a burden on society. So few would have questioned it. BUT society - as NoCarpPlease states - evolves. leaving male children outside whatever the weather does not now seem a good idea. And it's impossible to say what will happen in the future.

That's why people are 'angry', because corruption seems to be so widespread that it may be that, in the distant future, it will become acceptable. People like me think that is not a good idea!
to be fair - the weather in Italy is generally warmer than Northern Europe! ;)

totally agree with you about the "visibility" of everything that's going on these days - I often have that discussion with my Mother-in-Law, when she has a rant about how terrible it all is compared to the old days!

One other thing is that the pace of change has massively accelerated since the industrial revolution and particularly since the Second World War, both technological but also societal / morality ... and many people are actually VERY uncomfortable with real change (rather than superficial). Perhaps this is where the reactionary politics of the last few years has stemmed from?