Moral decline

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Boy do i know NOW of a few who have fiddled High Mortgages.
good if it works for you.... if it doesn't, be prepared for a world of grief.... as many have found....

Me and the wife bought a house in the 83... just a little 1 bedroom gaffe, paid off the mortgage, stayed there, never had kids, retired early, fish a lot... called living within your means

Wise Owl

Account Locked
good if it works for you.... if it doesn't, be prepared for a world of grief.... as many have found

One of em is now on the Brink mate, his wife has no idea and unless summat changes in his line of work he will loose the Lot.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
good if it works for you.... if it doesn't, be prepared for a world of grief.... as many have found....

Me and the wife bought a house in the 83... just a little 1 bedroom gaffe, paid off the mortgage, stayed there, never had kids, retired early, fish a lot... called living within your means

I bought mine ok not in the best Area but 4 -5 Bedrooms did it up as we gone along, i could have bought one in a Better area but smaller but then id have had to work more hours (no) id have had to give up 4 holidays a year (no) i have the best of all worlds and like ya say its within our means.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Think it was Oscar Wilde who said, "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between."

Not a massive fan of Wilde but I do watch a lot of old films with criminals and gangsters. Difference is they were made before the Hays Code where there was only so much you could show in movies. Not blaming movies but you can show a lot of different stuff on TV, in films, videogames etc nowadays.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
We all know what has destroyed the morals of this country, only one thing it can be....lack of church going, very few people go to church or read the bible etc anymore.

I've seen it so many times, people who are devout/chruch going they claim the bible/church/christianity teaches morals, nothing else just the church/bible.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
We all know what has destroyed the morals of this country, only one thing it can be....lack of church going, very few people go to church or read the bible etc anymore.

I've seen it so many times, people who are devout/chruch going they claim the bible/church/christianity teaches morals, nothing else just the church/bible.

If you can stand in front of your gods for judgement without fear on your day of reckoning

you have understood morality

Warden

Site Supporter
Some very good videos on morality on youtube not sure if Alan or Micks posts are 100% correct but one thing I accept is the old saying
"The further mankind moves away from God the more like Hell it becomes"
Morality without God.

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
The answer is simple (and often overlooked) -

Faith.

It was the beginning of the end of a truly great nation when Mr & Mrs Bloggs stopped caring about what Jesus would think/say/do.

Religion is the glue of every great society, even if it’s only superficial - it’s the god given right to proceed unquestioned with “how things are done around here”, when you lose that then you lose the right to enforce “our way”, it becomes legitimate for people to question and change things... often for the worse, evidently.

Blanks

Site Supporter
One of em is now on the Brink mate, his wife has no idea and unless summat changes in his line of work he will loose the Lot.
Been there, had to bail out and sell in 1990 when interest rates hit 16% and the building work dried up, rather than get repossesed, ten years later I had a 250,000 mortgage on two houses one of which was rented out. We have sold them both since and had enough left to buy a smaller house outright, which we sold 18months ago and bought one at auction just over a year ago, still doing jobs on it.
Sometimes it can work out, it's all a gamble at the end of the day.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Been there, had to bail out and sell in 1990 when interest rates hit 16% and the building work dried up, rather than get repossesed, ten years later I had a 250,000 mortgage on two houses one of which was rented out. We have sold them both since and had enough left to buy a smaller house outright, which we sold 18months ago and bought one at auction just over a year ago, still doing jobs on it.
Sometimes it can work out, it's all a gamble at the end of the day.

Mate i was not prepared to gamble, this house is OURS, if sh't hit the fan whilst we were Mortgaged i stopped the Holidays, the Meals out, the Jolly boys outings and sort. Luckily we aint had to. As a Family we have had the Best of all worlds.

Blanks

Site Supporter
We all have our own way and whats right for one may not be for another. Glad to hear you are sorted and happy thats the main thing.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
A lot of the reason people are 'angry' is that the media has been much more honest in the past 30 years than they used to be. They have been willing to expose, in particular, much of the hypocrisy and criminal acts of (among others) a) MPs and b) the police. Up to the 1960s or 1970s such things were not openly reported. Since then the 'ordinary' person has been asking: How can such goings-on go unpunished?

To be frank I disagree with the idea that we are a completely immoral society - the majority of people are decent. And because they live their lives in a moral way they cannot understand how others get away with what they would consider to be a wicked way of life.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
A colleague of mine once stated that you can judge a society by how it looks after it's old folks and it's animals.

Dog rescue centres are full, people dying in care homes, pensioners living in poverty............

bluemack

Site Supporter
Had the morals of an alley cat as a teenager.

Scribe is quite right regarding parents treating children as their friends rather than children, see it with my kids and grandkids.

Not for me to interfere but they are making a rod for their own backs.
They even call there kid,s "mate".:(

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Sorry to bore you with this but it does sum things up. Sunday my youngest daughter and four year old grandson are in the front
room, toys all over the floor and when they were preparing to leave the pair of them started tidying up, so far so good.

Sprog started putting several particular small toys in his back pack, long story but taking these home will cause grief with his slightly
older brother, daughter told him not to pack and take these home. He was quite defiant and ignored her, my daughter argued and
gave in saying `ok you can take them home as long as you tidy them at bedtime`.

Might sound petty but the problems start when you give in rather than confront.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you can stand in front of your gods for judgement without fear on your day of reckoning

you have understood morality
I have no fear, but then, I have no god, prefer to deal in logic and facts, rather than live by the made up books of the sky fairies.

bluemack

Site Supporter
Sorry to bore you with this but it does sum things up. Sunday my youngest daughter and four year old grandson are in the front
room, toys all over the floor and when they were preparing to leave the pair of them started tidying up, so far so good.

Sprog started putting several particular small toys in his back pack, long story but taking these home will cause grief with his slightly
older brother, daughter told him not to pack and take these home. He was quite defiant and ignored her, my daughter argued and
gave in saying `ok you can take them home as long as you tidy them at bedtime`.

Might sound petty but the problems start when you give in rather than confront.
Not petty PG you are spot on.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have no fear, but then, I have no god, prefer to deal in logic and facts, rather than live by the made up books of the sky fairies.

each to his own, but I sincerely believe in gods, I have my own personal one yet remain in deference to others

I also believe in fairies, sprites, and all manner of spirits, places of prescence, holy places,

there are things far beyond the eyes of men,