Moral decline

Wise Owl

Account Locked
The one thing I've noticed over the years is there is an awful lot of what I call 'angry people'
Not people angry with me, mind you ;) , but the type who must wake up angry, live their lives angry, never have a nice word to say about anyone or anything, stomp around as though they're angry, and so on.

The written language - angry, profanities, people calling others present or not in the conversation angry
In public - they can't look at anyone unless they do so angrily, no pleasantries, always trying to look/act hard, angry
Sad lives really, sad angry lives that take over their personal space and world

A lot boils down to jealousy and Bullying, if someone can’t get their own way or don’t like what someone’s achieving they go outta their way to spoil it by trying to undermine em.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I don't think it is, it's just people living angry lives. Whether they feel like they've been given the shitty end of the stick, resentful of everyone around them, or not getting enough whackybakky to calm their paranoias, I've no idea

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
The one thing I've noticed over the years is there is an awful lot of what I call 'angry people'
Not people angry with me, mind you ;) , but the type who must wake up angry, live their lives angry, never have a nice word to say about anyone or anything, stomp around as though they're angry, and so on.

The written language - angry, profanities, people calling others present or not in the conversation angry
In public - they can't look at anyone unless they do so angrily, no pleasantries, always trying to look/act hard, angry
Sad lives really, sad angry lives that take over their personal space and world
Yep ... and there’s a word for it isn’t there?
now what was it? Topside? Haunch? Trotter? ....
;)

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I don't think it is, it's just people living angry lives. Whether they feel like they've been given the shitty end of the stick, resentful of everyone around them, or not getting enough whackybakky to calm their paranoias, I've no idea
Yeah but if ya got Bullied or let’s say can’t get yer own way at home it’s no excuse to tek it out on others ☹️

H T B

Site Supporter
There are so many factors that over the years that have gone into making society how it is today, especially family life.

Growing up in the 60's and 70's, Mum didn't go out to work [unless it was for pin money]
Dad came home from work, we all sat around the table eating dinner.

Getting married in the 80's, we wanted better for our kids, than we had.
It was also the time of house prices climbing, and credit cards.
[I remember a news presenter walking down a high street, visiting each shop. By the end of the road she could have had£100,000 of credit!!. all too easy]

When I got married I said to the wife, I want us to always be in the position where if she goes to work, its because she wants to, not that she has too.

House prices go stupid [£10-15,000 climbing to over £200k in 20 years!]
With the obsession with owning your own home, it puts added pressure on the income earner.
6 days a week, is not enough. so your partner has to go out to work.
This adds stress to family life.
No one at home when kids come home form school.
Go to work before kids get up, come home after they are in bed.
Sunday only day off, have jobs to catch up on, but what about that kids?

Now we have the internet, social media, mobile phones, instant access to everyone.

It's family life Jim, but not as we know it. :(

NB: to answer a previous comment about when it started, I'd say us, as baby boomers have a lot to answer for.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Corporal punishment in schools banned 1986. Smacking at home banned 2004. But blame the people who were alive in the 1960s if you like!

bezzer

Didn't Ted Heath remove the cane or slipper in schools:unsure:

Nah. I got the cane in January 1981 just before I had my school photograph. Throwing snowballs was banned on the school grounds but obviously nobody took any notice. The Headmaster decided to walk around the school fields at lunchtime with his cane and gave everyone there a whack on each hand. Didn't feel a thing at the time!

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I never hit my 2 never really shouted at em either and they Grew up into hard working respectful young adults. Neither have a Police record or even been in any trouble with the Police, neither Smoke, take Drugs or really Drink either.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Children growing up at home simply follow what their parents do.

Blanks

Site Supporter
I think morals come from within a person namely what we call concience, which is the voice of reason that lives inside us.
When children are born they immediatly start to take in all the rules and acceptability that parents and siblings show them and gradually builds to form the basis of their own concience. This has been fine for thousands of years as the external influence around a child was limited to loved ones and trusted others as in tribes or small communities.
With the advent of the television and later the internet the exposure of young minds to all manner of images which in most peoples lives would never be seen, is common place, young children seeing things that are traumatising their minds and breaking down the moral compass.

angel

Site Supporter
I wouldn't put all the blame on any political party like has been said its a combination of factors, however we did have a government in the 80s whose mantra was "you can have it all" and pushed home ownership to the masses, encouraged by the sell off of a large % of council house stock at budget prices.
When Mortgages hit 15% both partners had to go out to work. Political pressure was a big factor.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
The choice to buy was always the parent choices... no-one made anyone buy anything... the pressure was self inflicted
"well the Joneses have bought theirs"
No one had their arm twisted to buy a house... the fact that families overreached themselves is down to their own personal choices.. the only thing the government had any say in was the economy.... yes they screwed that up... but if folks lived within their means (way too many didn't) then both partners shouldn't have had to go to work, or if they did, they shouldn't have overextended themselves

Wise Owl

Account Locked
@Arry and before this is all over i can see a lot more of the ones who lived by their Dreams having em turned into nightmares.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
The choice to buy was always the parent choices... no-one made anyone buy anything... the pressure was self inflicted
"well the Joneses have bought theirs"
No one had their arm twisted to buy a house... the fact that families overreached themselves is down to their own personal choices.. the only thing the government had any say in was the economy.... yes they screwed that up... but if folks lived within their means (way too many didn't) then both partners shouldn't have had to go to work, or if they did, they shouldn't have overextended themselves

when the first big buying of either the council stock or private houses, the interest rates were lowish, around the 4%APR, within a couple of years they had rocketted to between 15 to 17%

once you had started paying a mortgage, it became a fight to keep the home you had already spent so much money on

you couldnt give up, there was no where left to go

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
IIRC it was 3 times the combined salary that determined ones mortgage limit... I remember a lad at the reprographics firm where I worked, taking in 3 payslips to the building society with a shedload of Overtime on them and telling the lender it was contractual O/T when it was voluntary to get a higher mortgage... when the overtime stopped, he lost his house, car, wife and kids in that little escapade so did many others

Wise Owl

Account Locked
IIRC it was 3 times the combined salary that determined ones mortgage limit... I remember a lad at the reprographics firm where I worked, taking in 3 payslips to the building society with a shedload of Overtime on them and telling the lender it was contractual O/T when it was voluntary to get a higher mortgage... when the overtime stopped, he lost his house, car, wife and kids in that little escapade so did many others

Boy do i know NOW of a few who have fiddled High Mortgages.