Moorlands drained

baggy

Mark Saunders
The newly corrugated bank at Furnace Mill is the most popular bank at the fishery, must have been done for a reason as no mean feat, and some people like their creature comforts.
That will have been done for the same reason

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Oh nice sounds like it could be a decent option then. Quite a few disused canals about like that around the country.
I remember fishing a 'dead leg' of a canal near Stratford that was very nice. Hooked a big fish, presumably a Carp, on a light elastic and never got it in as did me in the reeds. Could have been a Tench.

edit - just spoke to my dad and it was a canal arm at Warwick.

Last edited:

Total

Site Supporter
I remember fishing a 'dead leg' of a canal near Stratford that was very nice. Hooked a big fish, presumably a Carp, on a light elastic and never got it in as did me in the reeds. Could have been a Tench.

edit - just spoke to my dad and it was a canal arm at Warwick.
Saltisford Canal arm?:unsure:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Speaking to my dad it wasn't that one. He reckoned somewhere straight down the Warwick Road around Shrewley where Tunnel Barn Farm is.

bluemack

Site Supporter
I just dont get it ,you dont see commercial match anglers slagging off places or slagging you down for wanting to fish for tench or silvers etc .
but you feel the need to moan about places most of you have never seen let alone fish , just seems a tad bizarre to me go find your thing and go do it .
But alas you wont and this topic will come up again and again done to death now
I've had a look at the place a few years ago ,did,nt fish it (did,nt have my gear with anyway) definitely not for me BUT each to his own.😊

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
You can't get much more bland than a football pitch, but lots of people spend lots of money looking at them - no trees, no pretty flowers...not for me!

And as Baggy says, you have to board up or pile banks of lakes that have fish in, otherwise they will crumble and fall into the water. Of course the more fish there are in a lake the quicker that will occur. As the song says: "You can't have one without the other."

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
And as Baggy says, you have to board up or pile banks of lakes that have fish in, otherwise they will crumble and fall into the water. Of course the more fish there are in a lake the quicker that will occur.
Would you mind explaining what you mean by “pile banks”? I’ve never fished a boarded up lake that I can think of but wouldn’t have a clue if I’ve fished at piled one if that’s the way to put it as I’ve not heard that expression before. I’d take guess at it being packing and compressing the banks but could be completely wrong 😅

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Pile banks are where steel piles have been driven into the ground and lake bed to support the bankside

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Pile banks are where steel piles have been driven into the ground and lake bed to support the bankside
Ah thank you 👍🏻

I still wouldn’t have a clue if I’ve come across one as I guess the evidence is buried? Most the lakes I’ve ever fished appear to have just been scraped out of the ground but could well have been that done on some of them for all I know.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Would you mind explaining what you mean by “pile banks”? I’ve never fished a boarded up lake that I can think of but wouldn’t have a clue if I’ve fished at piled one if that’s the way to put it as I’ve not heard that expression before. I’d take guess at it being packing and compressing the banks but could be completely wrong 😅
Of course lakes dug in soft ground are much more prone to falling in than those in rock, or in stony ground. Decoy is an excellent example. It's in the Fens, where there is no natural rock, and the banks have been undercut in places where the reeds are not growing. This undercutting (which can be a metre or more) is caused by the wind and by fish, and made worse by voles which tunnel into the ground next to the water. Eventually the banks fall in.

Reeds in the margins help to reduce this, but carp in particular are very destructive and will still get behind them. The only way to stop it is some sort of piling or boarding, or packing the sides with stones, which inevitably alters the appearance.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
A good example of a piled bank would be

1641056244187.jpeg
Ah I thought corrugating like that would be more in line with boarded? I would assume if piling is common practice on lakes it must be concealed as I’ve not seen physical visual evidence of it just some places where I suspect it’s done now I know what it is. Well assuming it’s concealed that is?

Of course lakes dug in soft ground are much more prone to falling in than those in rock, or in stony ground. Decoy is an excellent example. It's in the Fens, where there is no natural rock, and the banks have been undercut in places where the reeds are not growing. This undercutting (which can be a metre or more) is caused by the wind and by fish, and made worse by voles which tunnel into the ground next to the water. Eventually the banks fall in.

Reeds in the margins help to reduce this, but carp in particular are very destructive and will still get behind them. The only way to stop it is some sort of piling or boarding, or packing the sides with stones, which inevitably alters the appearance.
Very insightful thank you 👍🏻

I think the ground around here is mostly a mix of gravel, sand or clay depending on where you go.

stikflote

Site Supporter
the lake at whispering waters has plastic shuttering around it
instead of steel