Mono for pike fishing gin clear water

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
Was going to go for 12-15lb Maxima (Braid not allowed on these waters), but the waters i'll be fishing are gin clear gravel pits.

Do i need something a bit more inconspicuous or does it really matter when 20" of wire trace will stick out like a sore thumb anyway?

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
That's an interesting one as I would fish PowerPro braid every time, unless not allowed. I would certainly go for 15, not 12 - that seems very light to me. One of the Gardner GT80+ lines is available clear - I guess this depends if you are planning to float fish or ledger, as float fished, this would be the last thing you want as it sinks like a brick.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Probably doesn't matter given the wire like you say but if you are worried about you could add fluorocarbon hook leader. Never done proper picking myself (going to soon though as have fluked quite a few pike out the Thames this year on the feeder so clearly got a good water for them) but I always use fluorocarbon for sea fishing for its supposed invisibility as much as its abrasion resistance.

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
I suppose Fluoro could be the way to go. not as much stretch as basic mono so a halfway house to braid :) But could be expensive, have 2 10000 size reels to fill, was going to downsize reels but can't really afford it at the minute, suppose i could leave some old line on as backing.

I'll do a bit of both i think, simple slider float for fishing midwater or bottom and general casting about, and a popped up ledger rig on a baitrunner to give me options.

First water i'll fish has fish upto maybe 25lbs so thought i could get away with 12lb there, but there is a bigger water and rumoured fish in the mid 30's, think i'll go 15lb to be safe, or should i go a bit higher? There are also catfish and sturgeon present in at least one of the waters, catfish rumoured to 75lbs but no idea about the Sturgeon. Neither a target species but would be nice to land if hooked by accident.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah wouldn't need to spool the whole reel with it just maybe 4 or 5 foot of it to cover the immediate area around the bait. Id have thought 12lb would certainly be fine for fish up to 25lb as would 15lb for up to mid 30s as I assume a gravel pit would be fairly snag free. Would possibly be a different matter if it were a snaggy, pacey river. I wouldn't worry about the cats etc, for example you don't really worry carp when targeting roach, cross that bridge if you get to it!

Lcn

I wouldn’t worry about line colour , I used to use sensor or soft steel when I couldn’t use braid and don’t think it made any difference at all especially because I was also using 2ft of 40lb carboflex wire . I wouldn’t bother going light either , there’s no benefit to fishing light for pike and there’s no point risking leaving trebles in . When I used to chase big pike my standard deadbait setup was 3.5lb rods and big pit reels with either 65lb power pro or 18-20lb mono , 3.5-4oz leads , 40lb wire and 6-2 trebles with a big bait and I used to fish mainly big res’s from fairly coloured to gin clear and never felt at a disadvantage using tackle like that

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
I do have 2 wychwood agitator 10' 3lb rods and fox eos 10000 reels, so might as you say go in heavy with the line to see how it goes.

I'll feel a plonker though if I only pull in 5lb Jack's lol

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Blimey 65lb power pro! Don’t think I’ve ever used more than 30lb in the sea and have mates in Florida that use 40-50lb for tarpon! Guessing pike aren’t very line shy then.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Take a look at Fox Aquos line, crystal clear, low stretch and low memory - tough as owt as well

Lcn

Blimey 65lb power pro! Don’t think I’ve ever used more than 30lb in the sea and have mates in Florida that use 40-50lb for tarpon! Guessing pike aren’t very line shy then.
Not line shy at all . The heavy braid was as much for giving a fighting chance of getting traces back in case of snagging up and the weight of casting of heavy leads and big full herrings , turbo smelts and full mackerel .

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
65 or even 80lb PowerPro is pretty standard. It's no thicker than most suitable mono, and gives you a fighting chance of getting trebles back if you snag them - you really do want to do your best to avoid leaving baited trebles in the water, and this does it. I've used that diameter braid for years, and have the pike to show for it. What you need to remember is that it isn't just about the fish you are catching, it's the cast, and on a gravel pit, you could easily be punching out a 3oz lead with a 4-6oz bait as well - that is a good work out for your line, and why I wouldn't entertain less than 15lb mono. (And there are plenty who would say that you shouldn't go under 20)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah makes sense to me, would hate to risk leaving baited trebles for a fish or any animal to eat. Got a big fixed spool with 30lb braid that I'll use if I do get round to doing any proper piking. Should be plenty strong enough for pulling out of weed and wont need much strength for casting as it'll be on the Thames so not a long cast.