Monmouth to Brecon canal - Any ideas who controls what bits please ?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I am owed a stack of time in hand from work that has to be used up so I’m heading South Wales bound for a big old two week long session

After nearly 20yrs away I’m planning to catch up on some of my old stamping grounds like Tredegar, Ebbw Vale, Blaina, etc but also a couple of days canal bashing.

Does anyone have any info on where I can fish it, who does day ticket, what clubs lease what bits ??? The interweb is not being very helpful and by phoning around old mates who no longer fish the areas I have found out at least one of my old clubs has folded with their waters effectively turning into free naturals.

Thanks all

Karl

D

Deleted member 24128

I fish the Cwmbran part with some regularity. Well, I did until my patience wore out a few weeks ago and I joined Newport AA. Cwmbran AA has this stretch but mostly it's in a dreadful state and Cwmbran AA exists in name only from what I can tell. They don't seem to do anything and they know it because no one has ever come to check my ticket or ask me to buy one. No one seems to care and the canal is not looked after at all. In fact, there are only a few spots that are fishable as far as I'm concerned and some of those are literally a couple of metres where there is no weed and those will soon be gone if they are not already. Recently, I thought things may be looking up as they dredged down from Pontypool to FIve Locks through the one bit that was still semi-decent but all they actually seemed to do was introduce some seed from somewhere else which has seen the instant sprouting of some new weed that was never there before that has now taken over completely and thus destroying the fishing in that part too. It's like thousands of small trees sticking out of the canal. I assume it was The Chuckle Brothers Dredging Company. Jokers. The council appear to be of the opinion that it's acceptable to cut down trees on the bank and let them fall in the canal where they just leave them to rot.

From Griffithstown and up, it looks completely fishable the last time I saw it and when you get even further than that it's in a decent state because boats go up and down with some regularity. It's also very pretty as I'm sure you know. Basically, stay away from any part that Torfaen Council is responsible for looking after and which is run by Cwmbran AA. It ain't worth your effort and I can't in good conscience recommend you waste your valuable time here. Unfortunately, I don't know who has the rights further up because I keep getting conflicting information and as I want to know myself I will watch this thread.

Sorry, I can only tell you where to avoid. I wish I could be more helpful for you.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I fish the Cwmbran part with some regularity. Well, I did until my patience wore out a few weeks ago and I joined Newport AA. Cwmbran AA has this stretch but mostly it's in a dreadful state and Cwmbran AA exists in name only from what I can tell. They don't seem to do anything and they know it because no one has ever come to check my ticket or ask me to buy one. No one seems to care and the canal is not looked after at all. In fact, there are only a few spots that are fishable as far as I'm concerned and some of those are literally a couple of metres where there is no weed and those will soon be gone if they are not already. Recently, I thought things may be looking up as they dredged down from Pontypool to FIve Locks through the one bit that was still semi-decent but all they actually seemed to do was introduce some seed from somewhere else which has seen the instant sprouting of some new weed that was never there before that has now taken over completely and thus destroying the fishing in that part too. It's like thousands of small trees sticking out of the canal. I assume it was The Chuckle Brothers Dredging Company. Jokers. The council appear to be of the opinion that it's acceptable to cut down trees on the bank and let them fall in the canal where they just leave them to rot.

From Griffithstown and up, it looks completely fishable the last time I saw it and when you get even further than that it's in a decent state because boats go up and down with some regularity. It's also very pretty as I'm sure you know. Basically, stay away from any part that Torfaen Council is responsible for looking after and which is run by Cwmbran AA. It ain't worth your effort and I can't in good conscience recommend you waste your valuable time here. Unfortunately, I don't know who has the rights further up because I keep getting conflicting information and as I want to know myself I will watch this thread.

Sorry, I can only tell you where to avoid. I wish I could be more helpful for you.

That’s really helpful - apparently Festival Angling (Ebbw Vale) lease a couple of stretches but cannot find a contact plus their FB says membership is full/no day tickets but that could be only their lake.

Ebbw Vale Welfare I think had a stretch but they folded 3yrs ago with their assets going to charity & the waters going to Local Authority - Blaenau Gwent CC not terribly clued up on that from a quick call this morning:rolleyes:

Finding any contact numbers is proving tricky.

Don’t want to do it but I might end up just fishing and seeing what bailiffs appears then buy a ticket from them.

Karl

D

Deleted member 24128

That’s really helpful - apparently Festival Angling (Ebbw Vale) lease a couple of stretches but cannot find a contact plus their FB says membership is full/no day tickets but that could be only their lake.

Ebbw Vale Welfare I think had a stretch but they folded 3yrs ago with their assets going to charity & the waters going to Local Authority - Blaenau Gwent CC not terribly clued up on that from a quick call this morning:rolleyes:

Finding any contact numbers is proving tricky.

Don’t want to do it but I might end up just fishing and seeing what bailiffs appears then buy a ticket from them.

Karl

Well, that reminds me. A guy told me, maybe 4 weeks ago, that the next bit up from me was something to do with Ebbw Vale something or other but there was some transition or something going on and you could fish it for now for free until whatever is happening has happened. The trouble is, I struggle to believe things like that when people tell me. I really prefer my information in black and white and you're right, the info around here is poor.

The Canal and River Trust have a large part of this canal according to their website and I believe that requires one of the wandering passes or whatever they are called.

Perhaps a call to Cwmbran Angling tackle shop may provide more fruitful information and maybe nejohn will see this thread and inject some more knowledge into it. He lives near me and I would expect him to be more informed than I. Perhaps.

D

Deleted member 24128

Having had a look at the map here it doesn't look like The Canal and Rivers Trust actually has any stretches that require their pass at all. It's all just separate fishing stretches with no info of who is responsible for them.

D

Deleted member 24128

Honestly, I don't know what else they expect from people when they make the info nearing impossible to find. I would call the local tackle shops and if they don't have the correct info then I would say you have made reasonable attempts to do the "right thing" and just take a £10 or £20 note in your tackle bag. What's the worst that can happen? They ask you to leave which will give you an opportunity to tell them that they need to at least disseminate their rules and requirements to the local tackle shops.

I find it disheartening to be honest because it shows what a terrible state fishing is in around here. If there are no kids up the canal today then who will fill the commercials and clubs tomorrow?

nejohn

Site Supporter
I can't add a great lot as has already been said the information regarding fishing in south wales in general is not great but the brecon and mon is fairly non existent, to be fair I haven't fished the Cwmbran area since they restricted the flow at Bevans lane bridge about 2 years ago as it really did kill this section, the only thing keeping it in half decent condition was the boat traffic but that got stopped so they could build some canal side houses. As for day tickets, I was in Cwmbran angling centre last week when a guy came in asking about a ticket for the canal, he was told the club had not supplied any more to the shop and was not aware of anywhere else that sold tickets but he added that they didn't seem to care who fished and advised him to fish anyway and if challenged say that he tried to buy a ticket but couldn't. I have seen people fishing outside B&Q in Cwmbran and have also seen some half decent bream and carp in that short stretch along with lots of small roach. I was also told the section downwards from Goytre Wharfe was free fishing but there are very few notices up saying who controls the fishing on any of the canal. I often walk the tow path with the dogs and the places that seem popular are the turning basin at Bevans lane, Pontypool Marina, and sometimes see people fishing upstream of the horse and jockey bridge. Newport angling club have the section through Malpas and the crumlin arm from the M4 up to 14 locks, I have not really fished it that much but have had a dabble at 14 locks with some success, not sure if Newport are issuing day tickets for the canal as they have stopped day ticket sales for morgans/woodstock ponds. sorry I can't be more help but as has been said the canal is not in great condition at the minute and generally information regarding coarse fishing is not the best

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Thanks everyone, great info.

Rummaged out an old Mon-Brecon Canal book and found a British Waterways list dated 1984 listing the rights holders. Starting at Bridge 52 (Pontymoile) everything before that is listed as “unnavigable with no fishing”.

According to this list:
52-57 - Pontypool A A
57-66 - vacant
66-68 - Rhymney & District A S
68-71 - Girling A A
Goytre Wharf - Red Line Boats
75-95 - blank (95 Llanfoist bridge)
95-96 - Cwmcelyn
102-105 Gilwern A C
105-106 - vacant
106-110 - Gwent Avengers
118-122 - Ebbw Vale Welfare
Tofs Lock Pool - vacant
Brynich Lock to Brecon basin - private owner

I know for a fact that Gwent Avengers, Girling and EV Welfare are long gone so their stretches could belong to anyone.

Spoken to the contact for Rhymney - a genuinely lovely guy - who has said I am welcome to fish their stretch as a visitor & just mention his name but also he’s fished the canal over 40 years and never been approached about a ticket so he recommends having a fish and if anyone comes along pay on the bank.

Have a hankering for a go at Pontymoile basin.

Karl

ae111sr

Site Supporter
This might help
On the Canal & River Trust website there is a page showing a brochure for fun days out on the Mon & Brec canal.
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/thumbnail/24115-monmouthshire-and-brecon-canal-map-english.pdf
One side of the brochure is a map of the canal showing the areas of fishing controlled by Merthyr Tydfil Angling Association and the rest is controlled by Canal & River Trust on a Waterway Wanderer permit.

Cod

Site Supporter
Day tickets for the Brynich lock to Brecon basin can be obtained from Dragon Fly Cruises who hire day boats out of Brecon basin.