Monks Mission: Ian Rowney. My way with pellet feeders.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Monks Mission........Stay Home Stay Safe

Another great Top Tips video from an Angler who fishes venues such as Stafford Moor for big Carp but equally at home catching Skimmers at Meadowlands.
Thank you Ian Rowney for taking the time to contribute all videos on our YouTube channel “ Maggot Cinema”

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
If I may, I will add a couple of things I do with the pellet feeder that I believe makes a difference.

First loading. I always make sure the hookbait is on the top of the pellets. I do this by making a small well up against the top of the feeder in the pellets into which the bait goes before topping up and sealing. I believe or hope this makes sure the hookbait lies on top of the pile of pellets when they are pushed from the feeder.

Second is more of a Winter tactic when bites may not come rapidly and few fish needed to win the day. After the feeder has been in the water three minutes I twitch it back towards me by tightening the rod tip and letting it pull back straight. This does four things. It lays out a small trail of pellets that a passing fish may be more likely to take an interest in or find rather than a small discreet pile. Second the hookbait will now lay in that trail of pellets and be easily accessible. Third the movement may cause a small silt cloud that attracts a fish's attention. Fourth it ensures the feeder is not hooked up on a snag or buried in silt. You would feel that to be the case when twitching the feeder.

Often enough for me to be confident doing it I get a bite within a minute of moving the feeder. And yes I know it goes against Tommy Pickering's advice of not to move the feeder. The pellet feeder is the only one I do this with. Method, Banjo and Hybrid should all be left static.

Finally, use a watch to time the length of time the feeder has been in the water. In Winter I will start by leaving it 15 minutes. Normally within a few casts and bites you can spot a fairly consistent pattern of how long between casting/twitching and getting a bite. This can then help you determine the optimum time the feeder should be retrieved and re-cast.