Not open for further replies.

martin.

Account Locked
you have to bribe dave & hope for the best

tight lines.
martin.

talk fishing flip football

norm

you also have to never go to bed and stay on the comp 24hrs aday (LOL)

but a bribe is prob better

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
hold on hold on Norm, you mean theres only 24hrs in a day??

wait till i get hold of Dave [:)]

Alan

There's a monster outside my window..can i have a glass of water?

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
To become a Mod, you have to type a reply using more than one finger,[:D][:D][:D]

teepee.

piscatorius

Of course the one thing we should not forget is the simple but important fact that a comprehensible grasp of the queens English would be a necessity, it would seem to some, myself included that the use of telephone text speech is the way of todays future moderators.

I for one will no longer use a forum when that does become the norm of the boards.

I would suggest that to become a moderator of any sorts a person should learn to use the keyboard in front of them to its full potential & try entering a post correctly with all punctuation & spelling in at least a readable manner.

you can trust me

martin.

Account Locked
hi piscatorius
firstly a BIG WELCOME to the mad MDs it will be nice to hear some about the fishing in your country i believe your our first member from there.
on here we try to discourage text talk whenever we can but i think that this site is so good & clean because of the efforts of our mods.
i believe to be a good moderatoryou have to have the following basic qualities
1- have a responceable attitude
2- sense of humour
3- be firm but diplomatic
4- or be named trogg,peter,dave or stu LOL

tight lines.
martin.

grumpybum

I have been lurking for a while now. It seems a shame to me that this should be my first post.

I am in full agreement with piscatrious over the use of text talk.

There is no place for abuse of the english language. If an individual cannot take the time and effort needed to compose a request, then they should not bother posting. If they are to idle to do so then they should be ignored.

suffer fools gladly.....NOT

Trevski

DUZ THS MEEN I CNT B A MOD THN M8?

Ahem, sorry, couldn't resist. [;)]

I fully agree with you're sentiments regarding the use of so called "text talk".
Personally I see it as yet another means by which the standard of the written
word is being slowly eroded away.

iobrien2002

Paddy
text talk is easier though
u don't hav 2 type a great essay just 4 1 post

i will always use it even if it means i can't b a moderator.

neway i expect i couldn't bcos i hav had my account locked b4, and it was a traumatic experience not being able 2 post 2 all of u guys

I.O'Brien

AlanP

'EastAngler'
quote:Originally posted by iobrien2002

text talk is easier though
u don't hav 2 type a great essay just 4 1 post

i will always use it even if it means i can't b a moderator.

neway i expect i couldn't bcos i hav had my account locked b4, and it was a traumatic experience not being able 2 post 2 all of u guys

I.O'Brien

Sorry, I fail to understand how it can be easier. Once you have learnt how to write and spell in English (or whatever your native language is), how can it be "easier" to learn how to spell those same words again in a different way ?

If I want to learn a different language to English, I'll go for something useful, like French or German, in preference to one that a very small minority of the world population use or are interested in learning.

Part of my job is writing Sales Proposals & Reports, and giving formal Presentations. Any communication, written or verbal, is only effective if the person(s) on the receiving end can interpret and understand it. If the person you are communicating with can't, or won't, attempt to understand the words you are using it is your responsibilty to adapt and use their "language", it is not their responsibilty to go out and buy a Phrase Book so that they can decipher your message.

In summary, if you are 100% confident that the reader can understand text talk use it. If you are in any doubt spell words in full and make it easier on your readers. Believe me they will appreciate it and the quality of replies to your post will reflect that fact.

AlanP

Stu

Cant drink anymore
Site Supporter
Sorry Alan I Don't Understand what you are trying to say.[:p][:D]

Stu
***L.U.F.C.***[img]http://www.aaa-clipart.com/data/anim2/dogs/an14.gif

martin.

Account Locked
stu
hes saying in plain english "baffle them with a load of big words"[:D][:D]

tight lines.
martin.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
We actually thrashed this subject out a couple of weeks ago.
You can find it here.[;)]

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

norm

peter i was just going to say here we go again

i reckon every one should just let people do what they want
why should we all be the same for goodness sake it is just words,

every one to there own

(its my opinion and i am entitled to it)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi jea13,

Becoming a moderator isn't just something to be taken lightly as it does involve a heck of a lot of commitment.
As well as the work you see on the board, there is a lot going on in the background whether it be answering emails, resolving the odd dispute (or causing them [;)]), assisting on the board through PM's, and the list goes on.

It can be a virtual full time job lol, and a voluntary one at that [:)]

At present we have most hours of the day and night covered and can generally respond quickly if an issue arises.
Everyone who uses the board is a moderator in their own right as we do have a system in place where a thread or post can be 'flagged' by any logged-in member if it is in their opinion offensive, etc. The flag is on the bar at the top of each post.

This sends an alert out to all the moderators detailing all the information that we need to respond to the post including any neccessary info that we may need should the need arise to pursue it further - effectively 4 mods with 900+ pairs of eyes [:D]
Added to that several members have phone contact with the mods so even if we aren't in front of the monitors (rare moment), we soon can be

All in all MD's must be the most heavily modded forum on the net - and I'm not just talking about Stu's and Trogg's combined weight [:D] lol

Dave

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
"ere Stu i fink we's just bin assalted matey"

Go round is owse n rip the roof off is nu garig fingumy

Alan

There's a monster outside my window..can i have a glass of water?

Status
Not open for further replies.