Mobile phones, Android or Apple ?

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Had an iphone 5 many years ago, then got a Sony xperia, didn't last long, so then got a cheapish Chinese phone. For the money it has been brilliant, tough as old boots, been dropped many times and is still intact. My wife had a habit of destroying phones, she never had one that lasted more than 6 months, so I bought her a cheapish Chinese phone, a Xiaomi note 7, this has so far lasted nearly 2 years. I now fancy a new phone, I don't bother with getting one on a contract, you get a free tube of KY jelly when you do that so it doesn't hurt so much when you pay for it, so I will buy one outright. These cheapish Chinese phones are not as cheap now, but the specs are amazing, stuff that the mainstream makers are playing catch up with. So, what do others use , anyone else using Chinese (non mainstream) phones? I have more or less settled on the Xiaomi Redmi note 10 plus.

SeanB

Site Supporter
I've been using a Huawei P20 pro for the last three years and absolutely love it. Its the only time I have kept a mobile after the contract period has ended.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Xiaomi simply cannot be beaten on price... When my partner broke her phone last week she was going to pay well over £150 for another Samsung Galaxy 8? on eBay used... I told her to buy a Xiaomi and said I'd refund if it didn't meet her standards, she was blown away when it arrived.

I don't think Mainstream companies will keep up with the likes of Xiaomi. I'll admit, They're not perfect but for the quality and spec? It's a no brainer.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
iPhone - it suits us because they are synced to our iPads and Mac (don’t use PC’s anymore). Been a Vodafone customer over 15yrs so on their VIP member system and we have a pair of 11’s on unlimited calls, texts & data for £21 per month each

Whilst there are still little frustrations with the sometimes idiosyncratic IOS it’s not enough that I’d consider changing

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Xiaomi make some quality phones, the lower end ones good for the money even though they have smaller ram and built in memory.
I was looking at a Xiaomi mi 11 ultra but at over a grand it's not that far away from the flagship phones of all the other manufacturers.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've been using a Huawei P20 pro for the last three years and absolutely love it. Its the only time I have kept a mobile after the contract period has ended.
Had my P20 Pro for 3 years too, now with giffgaff for £10 a month and cannot see the sense in changing. Brilliant phone.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My dads just bought himself an Oppo and seems pleased with it.

lliopp

Site Supporter
I am now on my 3rd Xiaomi, my daughter is still using the second one. I just think that there great value for money. I imported the first one as it had a longer lasting battery than most other phones available at the time and haven't looked back.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Galaxy S10+ at the mo, had S7 edge before that.

But prior to these 2 mainstream phones i had a OnePlus 1, and before that a Google Nexus 4.

I'm wary of Chinese phones these days because you never know what sanctions are gonna be placed on them by the US gov, could end up with an expensive brick with no google apps and no play store.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
@Mrs Munch has a Motorola G8 plus. The camera(s) are superb as is the rest of the phone. When I finally brick my Sony that's what I will be getting. I don't trust any of the Chinese brands, yes I know just about every phone is manufactured there but Chinese owned.. Naa, don't trust you one little bit.

62tucker

Site Supporter
iPhone for me. Can’t see ever changing. When daughter gets a new one I get her old one

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Despite the fact that I use an iPad all day long I don’t really like iPhones that much, especially for the money. My phone is a Samsung but it’s an A51 not an S21. It was about £300 as opposed to over a grand for the S21. I had a S10 prior to that and I can honestly say the A51 is every bit as good. The A12 is even cheaper at around £140 and I had a play on one and found that to be a perfectly good phone with lots of the same features as the expensive S models.

The markup on the S21 must be massive. It’s just designed to attract the gullible people who have to have the latest trendy phone no matter what the price is.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have tried most of them, I don't like the iOS system and also not a fan of the apple business model tying you into Apple products. Although I thought the Samsung S10 was a nice phone I didn't like the amount of Samsung apps and bloatware on it plus you get pestered by Samsung emails if you either don't set up their apps or don't use them. Had 2 huawei's a P10 and P20 pro both great phones but there is the Google issue with new huawei's and possibly other Chinese phones so steered clear after a few years break I went back to Sony and got an Xperia 5ii and can't fault it, the camera is brilliant you can have it in point and shoot mode or choose a full control mode which is much better than any other phone I have had. The screen is great with a very fast refresh rate so no lag while watching the footy or TV, great music player and just generally a great spec plus it is built like a tank and has a nice solid feel to it with an ip68 water proof rating which is handy for fishing ( it can be submerged in 1.5 metres of water for 30mins)..

jods

Site Supporter
Samsung for me s21 at mo youngest as got a iphone 12 nice phone i don't like paying the premium.

scuttster

Site Supporter
@Mrs Munch has a Motorola G8 plus. The camera(s) are superb as is the rest of the phone. When I finally brick my Sony that's what I will be getting. I don't trust any of the Chinese brands, yes I know just about every phone is manufactured there but Chinese owned.. Naa, don't trust you one little bit.
Since 2014 Motorola Mobility has been owned by the Chinese company Lenovo who, in 2005, purchased IBM personal computer division.