Mobile phone battery issue ?

squimp

Site Supporter
My other half has an oldish Apple (maybe a 4S or 5) phone and now the battery won’t hold its charge.

Apart from the obvious advice of buying a replacement phone (she is on a SIM only contract); is it easy (and more economic) to either:

replace the battery or buy a small remote power bank to use to top it up ?

Any advice to some non tech savvy old people would be really helpful……..

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I had a similar problem with my phone until the daughter took a look at it and deleted a boat load of rubbish off it. Now it’s fine. Only time it loses its battery quickly is when I’m winter fishing and I leave it on my side tray. It might be worth storing any pics / videos to iCloud etc first and see how you get on. Good luck. 👍

Pyffy

Site Supporter
A quick look on eBay and a new battery and fitting kit is under a fiver for an iPhone 5
I replaced the battery in my old Iphone 6s which is similar to the 4/5, with a battery/tool kit from ebay a couple of years ago and got another 2 years out of it. I watched a few videos on youtube before attempting it and it worked out fine. Just take your time and all should be good.

Trent_Fisher

Not sure if it’s on the older I phone models but on the newer ones if you go into Settings and then to the Battery section then it tells you your battery’s health.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Part of the issue is the software Apple use. It runs your battery down forcing you to buy a new phone. They had to replace tons of batteries a few year back after admitting it.

squimp

Site Supporter
Part of the issue is the software Apple use. It runs your battery down forcing you to buy a new phone. They had to replace tons of batteries a few year back after admitting it.
Yes ! Thats why I refuse to have any Apple products.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I have a cellphone bought through Vodaphone. Just like the last one it's charge is getting shorter. Two telephone repair shops have told me that it's not possible to change the battery. Oh for my old Nokia 6830.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I'd sieze the opportunity to look all smug and tell her this wouldn't be happening if she bought an Android phone 😆

Obviously batteries die in Android phones but not for the nefarious "planned obsolescence" reasons attached to anything Apple.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I would tend to agree with the above ...I wouldn't touch an apple product with a 10ft barge pole .... The only thing they are really good at is marketing, all of their so called ground breaking technology has more often than not been done by other manufacturers a couple of years previously just they don't shout so loudly about it. As a rule of thumb if you want to know what technology next year's iPhone will have then have a look at this year's flag ship from Samsung, Sony etc

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Spot on. Apple is always last years tech at next year's prices 😆

62tucker

Site Supporter
Settings
Battery
Battery health
Mine says 88%. All rechargeable battery’s lose power over time.
Even android ones. 😳

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Settings
Battery
Battery health
Mine says 88%. All rechargeable battery’s lose power over time.
Even android ones. 😳
Difference is, Android phone makers won't slow down your phone using an "old battery" excuse.

Google batterygate.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Difference is, Android phone makers won't slow down your phone using an "old battery" excuse.

Google batterygate.
Old news really and won’t ( shouldn’t) be happening now.
My last iphone battery life started to be poor. So replaced it. Phone was spot on.
So if apple slow down old phones how did my new battery make the difference?

62tucker

Site Supporter
If your interested in what size battery you phone has inside it.
few on here. Apple seem to be the smallest.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Old news yes but it shows their attitude to customers and maximum profit.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Thanks for the lesson.

Her’s says 85%.
Mine is just over 2 year old and 88 but was my daughters phone so probably had a lot of use in them years.
88 is ample for me and I can be in a lot. I can watch a full f1 Grand Prix on phone without battery issue.
I would be interested in anyone with a android phone to post their phone age and battery health

OldTaff

Site Supporter
We had 4’s and had the batteries replaced - still going strong as video cameras at church for our zoom services

squimp

Site Supporter
Mine is just over 2 year old and 88 but was my daughters phone so probably had a lot of use in them years.
88 is ample for me and I can be in a lot. I can watch a full f1 Grand Prix on phone without battery issue.
I would be interested in anyone with a android phone to post their phone age and battery health
I have a basic Moto G 4+ Android 7.0 phone. Bought used on eBay for about £40. The build number suggests it might have been made in 2018.

Battery works really well and lasts about 3 days(with light use). It also charges up really quickly.

There doesn’t seem to be a battery ‘health’ indicator.

Im learning ‘stuff’ here - so thanks to everybody for their help.