Mobile company with the technology I need?

Philocalist

Where we live is a great location, in that we're about 3 minutes walk from both a lakeside, and riverbank, but that brings its own problems - with being so close to sea level AND, consequently down in a slight valley, mobile signals can be a bit patchy.
We've been with Vodafone for years - the signal is faultless, no doubt helped by the fact that there is a massive mast within sight of the house - and internet access comes through them too, though fibre-based connections are not available here, so alternatives are limited to BT, or very occasionally, Sky if a slot becomes available. We know from experience that various visitors, apparently regardless of their provider, struggle to get a decent reliable signal while they are here.
The problem is, I've had enough of dealing with their ineptitude and apparent inability to fix the issues after a LOT of admin-type problems with Vodafone (over almost 2 years!) - they regularly screw up after receiving payment, and frequently freeze all services for either unpaid bills (that are already paid) or bills that don't even actually exist - the latest / current one being a bill that was actually paid back at the end of December!

So, the question is, are any members aware of / using a provider who can also supply some sort of signal booster to make sure we actually get a decent signal to multiple phones in the house, and could preferably also supply a decent broadband connection? My first thought would have been Virgin, but they cannot connect us here - I know they have / had the necessary gear, because we used to use it about 8 years ago, prior to moving. Is anyone else doing something similar, or is there a better option?
Thanks (y)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Have you tried putting your postcode/address into this to see what's available ....

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
3 boast 99% UK coverage... may be worth trying them

Philocalist

Thats the problem we face here - no-one - and I mean literally no-one in the immediate neighbourhood can get a decent mobile signal on ANY mobile network, other than Vodafone, regardless of what the various 'checkers' may say. Houses are literally no more than maybe 10m above the waterline at high tide, and being close enough to the coast for the river to be tidal, it means we are very close to sea level. Factor in that as soon as the ground rises more than maybe 25m, we're into quite thick, mature woodland, unless the mobile signal originates from that nearby mast (or is coming in wirelessly from 'above'), not much gets through here. All internet connections are via Openreach, which means everyone max's out at about 60MBps on broadband - there is no fibre at all, nor any prospect of any in the forseeable future - hence the search for a provider who may be able to boost their signal in some way, rather than just looking for someone who can apparently give a better service, on paper at least.
Even that checker you link to (Dave) shows just one option to Vodafone, that being O2 - and in both cases marks the 'possible' service as 'having problems' :rolleyes:

That said, earlier this evening I at least got some satisfaction with Vodafone after a very long, protracted call with them. Managed to pin them down into confirming that the current problem (which saw services suspended, again) revolved around a payment that apparently had been declined by my bank (they said) on March 9th - this despite the fact that my online account, easily accessible, shows that the payment WAS made (and is confirmed by bank statements) THEN they preceeded to suspend service, despite the fact that the bill did not even become overdue for payment until 27th March! :mad:
Not an inconsequential bill either, with a half-dozen devices and broadband, racking up in excess of £350! End result - as an alternative to me leaving them completely - is that they have already wiped off that bill AND agreed to wipe any further monthly account where problems occur again that are down to their internal problems (y)

So - still looking for the technology mentioned, if anyone is aware?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Have you considered mobile satellite internet?

stikflote

Site Supporter
How much does Starlink cost just foe internet
i have had a quick look did not see any prices

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Be careful with the coverage checkers - they mostly report outdoor signal strength which is not the same as indoor.

Only Vodaphone cover my place indoors (I was with 3 for a while and they were hopeless, incoming calls would not register and I'd lose business).

The folks at Carphone Warehouse had a better coverage checker than I could find on the web. Not sure if that's still the case.