Mobile Approach, how much do you carry?

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Following on from the cold topic and brollies etc and what you take for a session I thought I'd dig this out, I posted this elsewhere but dont think I put it on here

Following on from another topic the mention of weight was mentioned in relation to carrying gear when roving so I though , sod it, I'm bored so I'm going to find out what my standard kit for roving pike work weighs

Heres a a shot of everything packed up and ready to go

BUBuRwCZbVABynDeZdzL.jpg

Rucksack with rods in sling and all the gear together , rods all made up, landing net and handle, umbrella for getting out of the wind (critical for winter work), bank sticks of various sizes, bag full of all the kit needed for a day on the bank

AamyDForSTxkEmi0Izam.jpg

Inside the bag theres various box's of gear, fox drop off slide indicators, box of various floats for different occasions drifting or static float work, box of various bits containing syringes, oils , baiting needles, pop up foams

WeMVrTNmIxkFmvbdUqbT.jpg

Big machette for chopping out and making swims possible, GFs alarms, spare cheap alarms as back ups, spare batteries, unhooking gear forceps etc, box of terminal tackle of snap clips, run rings,buffer beads, swivels etc

lGOKIqFQImAPGtkHuNWN.jpg

The big blue cool box carries all my deadbaits and doubles up as a stool for sitting on

iLaZQBzBYVSOYTiBktup.jpg

Spare leads in the side pocket, weigh sling and scales in the front pockets, warm thinsulate hat and very warm almost waterproof gloves in the same front pocket and packet of waterproofish sticky plasters just in case and a camera

What does it all weigh, well you might be surprised

The quiver with all the gear in weighs 26lb, the box of baits weighs 14lb and its not full and the bag weighs 32lb on its own, I'm lumping 72lb on my back on my mobile roving quite surprised at that as its over 5 stone of kit for a day out

Thats what I carry for a mobile session, sometimes more if I'm carrying a load of baits and I walk for miles with that on my back, be interested in what you carry especially with winter in mind

JLK

Are you allowed to carry a big machette knife in your bag in today's climate? I thought it was illegal.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That’s probably similar to if not more than I carry for a static session. When you’re predominantly a river angler it doesn’t pay to take loads of stuff.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've got the Korum Roving kit. Chair clips onto Ruckbag. Ruckbag hold a Greys Klip Lok tackle box. Side pockets have unhooking mat one side and tubs of boilies etc the other. Have two rods, reels, banksticks, and landing net handle in the rod bag. Also have an Umbro Sports Holdall that holds bait and other bits and bobs like catapults, rod rest heads, scales etc. So overall quite light. I haven't weighed it and the heaviest thing is usually the bait bag depending on what I take. Landing net is carried separately, either in a Wychwood net bag or just my Korum Spoon net just rolled up. (y) Certainly a lot lighter than when I take my box etc and I can carry it all, essential for some venues.

NB. I'm usually static with that when set up in a peg, it just helps getting to the peg as is all I need most of the time anyway.

squimp

Site Supporter
I carry about half what you carry.

And I take too much !

Tomorrow I’m going roving for chub. Total weight carried will be less than 25lb.

Browner

Site Supporter
If I’m clubbing then a feeder rod set up, landing net, rod rest, bag of bread and a small shoulder bag of bits. If I’m being a bit more static the a small quiver simply to carry a float rod and feeder rod plus the landing net and rod rest. Same shoulder bag with a small tackle box, reels and a tube of floats. A small bait bag and a Fox light chair.

CJROSCOW

Clint
Site Supporter
Korum chair with a home made strap over my left shoulder. Carryall with bait, rod rest and end tackle in it. Net sits in the chair, rod in my right hand made up. Will take a brolly again nestled in the chair but only in awful conditions.

Silver fan 82

Probably about the same, maybe less. My mobile / roving sessions usually involve small rivers, normally link ledgering for Perch and Chub. Usually take the one rod, net, banksticks, rucksack with my reel, bait and a small box with a few hooks, shot, disgorger, forceps in it. I don't usually take a seat although I do like the cool box idea Brian. I have an old one so will use this for deadbaits and as a seat 👍

BoldBear

1) A Rod quiver containing a made up rod/reel in a rod sleeve, and a spare rod, and a landing net, and a front rodrest.

2) A light fold up chair

3) A small shoulder bag

4) An unhooking mat

This is all I ever take with me unless I'm fishing in a match or fishing over night; which isn't very often.

Occasionally I'll leave the shoulder bag and quiver and spare rod at home and use the pockets of my Fishing waistcoat to carry my bait and tackle bits instead

Last edited:

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
That’s probably similar to if not more than I carry for a static session. When you’re predominantly a river angler it doesn’t pay to take loads of stuff.
Happy days! I had an Umbro haversack/fold up fishing stool combo which held my reels, tackle box, float box, bait and bits, and a rod bag with my Daiwa Whisker spliced tip rod, feeder, bank sticks and brolly

Browner

Site Supporter
If I’m clubbing then a feeder rod set up, landing net, rod rest, bag of bread and a small shoulder bag of bits. If I’m being a bit more static the a small quiver simply to carry a float rod and feeder rod plus the landing net and rod rest. Same shoulder bag with a small tackle box, reels and a tube of floats. A small bait bag and a Fox light chair.
Ha. I can just imagine myself in Pacha Ibiza with my fishing kit and some glow sticks!!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve got one of the old style korum ruck bags which carries my tackle box with all my terminal tackle, up to 4 reels and a couple bait boxes in its main compartment then it’s got a cooler bag on top for food and drink and a front pocket with catapults and a few other bits and bobs in it. Sometimes take an small shoulder bag with more food and or bait if not walking too far. Then my chair is an old Terry Hearn roamer which doubles up as another tackle carrying devise. When folded up I can tuck 2 tubed rods, 2 bagged rods, a landing net and handle, 3 bank sticks 2 with rod rests and a bait waiter with boxes into it in quite a snug and economic way so it doesn’t all fall out. Can even get a few reels in it at a push but that is pushing it. Then just tucks under my arm nicely. Leaves my other arm free for gates and what not. Well and catching the shoulder bag when I take it as that likes to fall off! Will occasionally put the rods, banksticks and nets etc in a rod bag instead of the chair but tbh that’s just more cumbersome to carry.

If roving I’ll take the equivalent to less than half that though

Last edited:

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
Late Autumn/Winter.... One rod, one reel, spare spool in pocket, various traces in pocket, lure box with assorted lures, (no too many), in pocket, small box of jig heads, (various sizes), in pocket, forceps in pocket, pliers in pocket, snips clipped to front of jacket and landing net clipped to back of my jacket.

Lunch and flask of coffee in car.

Spring/Summer/Early Autumn.... As above only jacket replaced with waist waist belt which has multiple pockets and a D ring for the landing net.

qtaran111

Site Supporter
Bloody hell, if I had all that stuff I'd never move!

Here's my roving kit and bear in mind the backpack carries gear, bait, my lunch and hot tea. I always think I carry too much...
bp - 1.jpeg

One rod, one reel (but a spare spool with different line), landing net, bank stick, a few floats, weights, hooks, catapult, etc and unhooking mat. Unhooking mat doubles as "chair" ;)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
A rod holdall with two made up rods in, small carryall with tackle bait and pack-up in, and a JRC folding chair.
I use the back of the chair folded down as an unhooking mat if needed.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Are you allowed to carry a big machette knife in your bag in today's climate? I thought it was illegal.
You can carry an axe, a club (priest), a knife or even a gun if you have good reason to be carrying and it is safely packed away or rules/regulations followed.