Mixed species still water fisheries - South West Oxfordshire

topfeeder

That's the joy of Surmans when you fish the margins around pegs6 to 9 I have found, one minute you have a couple of carp around 6lbs then next one could be a mid double, use dedicated margin poles now instead of main pole,
Yeah I used to use my main pole in the margins on surmans but learned the hard way. So now use a margin pole. Ps when did you last fish surmans?

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Yeah I used to use my main pole in the margins on surmans but learned the hard way. So now use a margin pole. Ps when did you last fish surmans?
About a month ago, fished peg 7, was hard going, ended up going for silvers. there was a guy on either 11 or 12 , he is always on there, makes his own pellet wagglers, he had a couple of carp at around 8 am then struggled, other pegs along that side were not doing much, even the pegs at the toilet end where you can cast to the lily beds and the edge of the island, someone said there was a match on a week prior and that was a struggle, low weight won it.

topfeeder

About a month ago, fished peg 7, was hard going, ended up going for silvers. there was a guy on either 11 or 12 , he is always on there, makes his own pellet wagglers, he had a couple of carp at around 8 am then struggled, other pegs along that side were not doing much, even the pegs at the toilet end where you can cast to the lily beds and the edge of the island, someone said there was a match on a week prior and that was a struggle, low weight won it.
That's Dennis your on about hes there every day other than Thursday. He fishes 2 rods both on the tip he normally catches a few. As for the matches the weights have been really low carp normally around 30lb to 40lb. Silvers 8lb.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
That's Dennis your on about hes there every day other than Thursday. He fishes 2 rods both on the tip he normally catches a few. As for the matches the weights have been really low carp normally around 30lb to 40lb. Silvers 8lb.
It must be him, I mainly go weekdays and he is always on that peg, If you fancy a day on there let me know, and can work something out,

topfeeder

It must be him, I mainly go weekdays and he is always on that peg, If you fancy a day on there let me know, and can work something out,
He fishes peg 28 now on windrush bank he as now for the last 3 weeks or so. Yeah probably see you down there some time. What seatbox you got so when I am down next i can spot you??

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
He fishes peg 28 now on windrush bank he as now for the last 3 weeks or so. Yeah probably see you down there some time. What seatbox you got so when I am down next i can spot you??
Preston Inception with a maggotdrowners sticker on the back. I will usually be on 6,7 or 8 if available.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I didn't fish it in winter much back in the day as the windrush tended to flood it lol

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
@topfeeder may be able to help you more than I can.
I only joined Newlands last year and didnt fish it much over the winter,
Are you joining Newlands ?
States Tackle at Witney can give you winter fishing info as well.
I doubt I’ll join the club as I wouldn’t fish it enough with the amount of river I have on my doorstep. I suspect I will have the odd day here and there and had planned to take a trip to Surmans early next year. I’ll give them a call a couple of days before to check out tickets and what it is fishing like, tactics etc. ?

topfeeder

@topfeeder @warrington63 Any tips for winter feeder fishing for a mixed bag on
I would use a small 10g cage feeder with a little sensus bream 3000 ground bait and a few pinkies in it then clip up and cast about 3/4 the way across either side road bank or windrush bank with a soft 1oz tip 11ft feeder rod I use the acolyte lovely rod. Then I start with a 18in hook length 0.12mm size 18 hook and start on the maggot if that's a bit slow drop down to a pinkie on a 20. That should be a good starting point for roach perch and hopefully skimmers if they turn up and maybe the odd smaller carp.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
I would use a small 10g cage feeder with a little sensus bream 3000 ground bait and a few pinkies in it then clip up and cast about 3/4 the way across either side road bank or windrush bank with a soft 1oz tip 11ft feeder rod I use the acolyte lovely rod. Then I start with a 18in hook length 0.12mm size 18 hook and start on the maggot if that's a bit slow drop down to a pinkie on a 20. That should be a good starting point for roach perch and hopefully skimmers if they turn up and maybe the odd smaller carp.
Perfect cheers pal ?

buygoodtackle

If Swindon is not too far there are several lakes. Try Peatmoor (SN5 5YN), true mixed fishery, plenty of roach, skimmers, proper bream, good perch, pike and carp. Can fish on a day ticket( from tackle shops beforehand none on bank) but a season is about £25 I think.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Made a few enquiries ahead of a trip tomorrow. It looks like both Newlands and South Cerney are currently only open to members. Hunts corner pond is closed due to flooding..might have to go further afield.

Last edited: