Mixed maggots

Nicky Dodds

I had my first ton plus bag of chub on white maggots. Also my only double figure barbel on 5 whites on the hook.

Nicky Dodds

And then you woke up?:unsure::p:ROFLMAO:
1997 same swim different days. Barbel was 10lb 4oz back when a Yorkshire double was a rarity. Was in anglers mail and got me £20. Only bite of the day.
The next time me and the brother in law were both sat on a shed full. We'd gone with 4 pints of whites each and ran out by dinner time. He lost the coin toss and went to the local tackle shop for another 8 pints.

Total

Site Supporter
1997 same swim different days. Barbel was 10lb 4oz back when a Yorkshire double was a rarity. Was in anglers mail and got me £20. Only bite of the day.
The next time me and the brother in law were both sat on a shed full. We'd gone with 4 pints of whites each and ran out by dinner time. He lost the coin toss and went to the local tackle shop for another 8 pints.
^^ Good old days....:).....It's been nearly 15 years since I've had to feed anywhere near those quantifies for chub or barbel even when sat on a shed full....My rivers just won't/don't take volumes of bait anymore, you'll struggle to catch....Even with my limited knowledge of the Severn around Bridgnorth a bag of 3 mm halibut feed pellets and a couple pints of hemp with a hand full of boilies has caught me more big bags of chub and barbel in recent years in the warmer months....

Simon R

Site Supporter
Usually reds with a handful of whites added
Maybe a few discos in the winter, although normally pinkies

Simon

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
When I returned to angling, I started out with mixed maggots but generally any success I had was on red or white maggots. Therefore that is all I buy now.

rd115

The Touch ™
Site Supporter
Reg maggots for me, that is when i don't leave them in a red hot garage all day and kill most of them first :LOL:

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
2:1:1 white, red, bronze.
Dace gave a definite preference for white maggots, whereas roach will more often prefer red or bronze. Chub don’t care!
always prefer white squat to red
and have only used fluoro pinkies for last 30 years.

melvyn

Head Blanker
A few years ago when I used to take our granddaughter fishing. I used to buy mixed maggots. As part of the attraction of the day. She used to sort all the green ones out. She would use these first.

crackatoa

As far as the commercials I fish go. In Summer it's whites for shallow and reds on the deck. Bunches of dead whites over groundbait for the shallow mudline