Mixed maggots

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Anyone buy and use mixed colour maggots or is they a bit disregarded?

I sometimes buy mixed maggots. I like the flash of 'multicolour' when using bunches of them on the hook for Chub, although you get blue ones in there with them, don't seem to catch much on the blue ones!

I would buy bronze more often but my tackle shops often seem to have just reds, whites and mixed.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I don’t like to, the OCD in me thinks that one is working better than the other or to the detriment of the other if I don’t have a good session 😅

I’ve tried all colours of maggots and have found red consistently the best so have no real reason to deviate from them now unless I have to.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah if I had to use just one colour for most kinds of my fishing it would be red. But for some weird reason when I fish the weir I like my bait to be different colours to aid 'visibility', just a confidence thing, so I will buy some reds and some whites and mix them together, happy to use multicolour mixed there too though.

SeanB

Site Supporter
I'm the same as @badgerale, don't mind mixed red and white, love bronze when I can get them but don't rate blue or green ones.

Silver fan 82

Not bought mixed colours in ages! Red and white mixed yeah but not the mixes with green, blue and yellow for a long time.
Why is red generally more productive than white? Am I right in saying that red is the first colour in the colour spectrum to disappear under water?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Why is red generally more productive than white? Am I right in saying that red is the first colour in the colour spectrum to disappear under water?
I have no idea it’s always puzzled me but I’ve tried both too many times with red always coming out on top for it to be a coincidence 🤔

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I don't think there's anything more un-natural looking than mixed maggots - then again the same could be said for red but at least they can resemble other underwater larvae to some degree.
Interestingly I read a post the other day saying that white maggots don't seem to work well on rivers, something I can agree with.

Arch

Site Supporter
As an hook bait change yes, but wouldn't feed them. Bronze on the river with a few reds in, reds and whites mixed for a stillwater.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
Just buy red, my local does not stock bronze unless you order specal and I'm never able to order as the delivery day is Friday at some time. So reds it is.

Billy the fish 1954

Reds with a sprinkling of whites, back in the early 70s as a young lad got maggots from a local hardware store called Herrimons only option was multi colours, that shop was wall to wall lined in small boxes, they new what was in every box, fishing gear was located in a corner was little choice, ask for a left handed thread af counter sunk screw in brass guy went direct to the little they lived in then asked what size

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I only really use reds these days tbh. I occasionally put a pint of whites into four pints of reds.

Birtleyheed

Site Supporter
Mix of red and white for me. Always find I catch more on reds though, whatever the weather or time of year.

squimp

Site Supporter
I always buy mixed colours. Whites with a handful of reds are my favourite.

Best ever were the ‘discos’ sold by the shop in Woodford, north London back in the 80’s.

And they get flavoured too.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
If they didn't put the daft colours in (blue, green etc), I may actually have bought mixed maggots in the last thirty years. Red, white, bronze and fluoro (pink or orange) are the colours I may actually buy separately. Anything else, bar yellow is unwanted. I remember a period of trying blue maggots repeatedly as a kid and failing to even get a bite on them. I do seem to remember green maggots being marginally more successful, but I would not dream of buying even half a pint of greens.

Robwooly

It's a well know fact that the classic film The Colour of Money was to be called The Colour of Maggots where Cruise and Newman hustle a maggot farm, sadly the term 'flouro pinkie' is one which wouldn't register with American audiences so it was scrapped.

Ok as a fact that is utterly useless but it's still better than those dreadful green maggots ;)

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
a year or so back, I had a period of unrestrained success fishing with flouro disco maggots

apart from that my go to is whites then reds and bronze if I can get em

squimp

Site Supporter
For bigger fish I often use maggot ‘strings’.

That is several maggots superglued together lengthways -a bit like a worm but made of maggots.

Really boring with single coloured maggots - but really cool with 3 whites and red one…….

I kid you not.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I stick to reds for 90% of my fishing both river and stillwater with an occasional swap to white on the hook biut not as loosefeed.