Mixed Bag on the River (including Tench!)

Imperium

Had an early morning session on an upper section of river. Fished from around 5.30am to 11am

Fed a swim just next to a slack with some lily pads and weed with some 4mm halibut pellets, groundbait and a sprinkling of corn.

Set up with a sliding cage feeder with double corn. It wasn’t long before I was hooked up and a gorgeous tench on the end:

E0057A7F-228E-4412-9D45-70ED17A35D09.jpeg

great scrapper even for a fairly small fish. You know when this is where you are ten minutes in that it’s going to be a good session.

another ten minutes go by and the rod tip bangs round again: this time a little more venom. Roll on tench number 2:

B5774A2B-3F64-43B4-9B04-899294CF3C3E.jpeg

At this point it went quite for half an hour or so. My mind turned to moving swims into a narrow fast flowing section. As I was packing my gear up I went to pick the rod up and the tip bent round - this time certainly not a tench. As far as bonus fish go, this is a corker: a rare river common carp:

EC193473-E3F2-48E5-AA9B-A21FA107FF99.jpeg

id been there for just over an hour at this point and could have happily gone home in time for breakfast chuffed with my day. I thought I’d have a quick go at the faster river section before leaving.

set up initially with the same sliding feeder rig on a gravel bedded 4-5yard wide section with a big overhanging tree. Hooked into a barbel around 4-5lb but unfortunately got me snagged in the tree and bumped off. In we go again.
The swim was a little spooked at this point but I did manage this small but pristine chub:

C30ADBD4-7C4B-4936-9C2F-DEC1138AC5C7.jpeg

now to move for the 2nd time. This time a deep fast flowing section between reeds. Only 1-2 yards wide. Corn the bait again and a small barbel to finish:

FA042F5D-8915-48A4-BAC8-A8B60DD473EC.jpeg

all in all a very enjoyable session. Not often I’ve caught carp tench barbel and chub in the same session.

SeanB

Site Supporter
Sounds like a great session, thanks for sharing it with us 👍

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
I am so jealous, what a river you have. Well done again. great fishing.

Is that a Mr and Mrs Tench there? Difficult to tell with the pelvic fins covered in weed

Imperium

I am so jealous, what a river you have. Well done again. great fishing.

Is that a Mr and Mrs Tench there? Difficult to tell with the pelvic fins covered in weed

yes I believe so - the top is certainly a female and think the bottom was male. Always the way that there is a net full of weed when you’re after the tench! It’s a lovely bit of river - club run which is good as other stretches are suffering badly with EE poaching unfortunately :(

fredradac

Site Supporter
Wouldn't you sooner be catching F1 carp all like peas in a pod from some commercial?
PS only kidding- a great mixed bag!