Mixed bag on the River Forth

JamesJa

Now that the lockdown rules have eased slightly north of the border I thought my first stop would be local, I targeted the River Forth just north of Stirling. For those that know the area it was just of the M9 J10 and I fished just down from the pipe bridge.
Having done some prior investigation and spoke to a few people I targeted the Dace and perch with a simple waggler set up using 3ib main line to a 8inch 2ib hooklength and an 18 spade end barbless.
Having had a chat with the water baliff I’m the week he said he had seen less than 5 people going for coarse fish in the whole period he has been about.
Having watched a cadence fishing video on YouTube I knew Dace were about as well as perch, eels and the normal trout and salmon game fish( point to note I was not aiming for them). Best bit is this stretch is totally free Monday-Saturday as long as you are clearly coarse angling.
I started early at 4:30am fishing mixed maggots and feeding regular. I started at approx 4ft depth and on the second slow run through I hit my first Dace. This continued from 4:30-12pm getting a bite every run, I didn’t hit them all as some were I think very small fish or lightening fast. Lol. By 7am I was fishing 6inches under the float and catching on the drop. I even went deeper to try and sneak out the bigger fish. The stamp was approx 3-6oz average with some lovely 10oz touching a pound mark. By 12pm I estimte I had a 25-30ib mixed bag of Dace, perch, eel and a couple of baby game fish. This is real gem of a location for coarse fishing as the coarse fish are rarely targeted, its a generally in summer a slow river so easy to control a simple waggler and you can park on location for free and it’s free fishing. I can honestly say I have caught a lot less on well stocked lakes in the past.
Great day and if you are local give it a bash. Speak to Angling active 5 mins up the road for advice.
Tight lines all C00DFA4C-7487-4521-8A7E-81B352D7D73D.jpeg 8B0F9126-1857-4215-AAE4-D103372E3D66.jpeg F93BD407-234A-4E7B-8F07-CBE0DF5D746A.jpeg C02A2592-F6BE-445F-BE8C-DACC511D2F19.jpeg BC756B76-8766-45B8-8D63-83B6AAC91040.jpeg 7EDDB9D4-F681-443A-B9BF-FA46DEFE4502.jpeg

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Beautiful area. My fishing started in a small trout stream in Fife. Only course fished in Scotland once, on the river Tay in Perth. Are there still shoals of big roach there?

JamesJa

Beautiful area. My fishing started in a small trout stream in Fife. Only course fished in Scotland once, on the river Tay in Perth. Are there still shoals of big roach there?
Apparently through some online research the roach we’re netted and killed off, I am ever hopeful there are 1 or 2 grandads of 2ib + sneaking about. I think the Dace being some prominent have not helped either

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sounds brilliant that’s got me even more buzzing for our rivers to open than I already was lol

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Apparently through some online research the roach we’re netted and killed off, I am ever hopeful there are 1 or 2 grandads of 2ib + sneaking about. I think the Dace being some prominent have not helped either

Its a lot of river to net. I doubt they could have get rid of all of them. I only caught five on my day on the river, all over a pound.

I would have fished it more on that holiday but out of a gallon of maggots I set out with from London only about a pint survived the intensely hot day on the trip up, and my mini van was like an oven.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
True. Can’t see it ever going now but think it should definitely be shortened to start 1st of April and end 1st of June as those months cover 90% of the spawning anyway.

bryanh

Site Supporter
Nice catch James and I notice the bankside vegetation is quite sparse.

With regards to the Tay roach; yes the game fishing fraternity did wage war on them but not in the Perth area. Netting here is virtually impossible due the the variation in river levels and flow rates caused by extremely high and variable tides.
During late spring, vast shoals of roach move upstream to spawn in the rivers' confluence with Loch Tay and the netting parties used to target them as they commenced their return downstream after spawning.

This practice continued for a good number of years, well into the late 1980s and over a period specimen fish by the ton were unceremoniously dumped on the river bank. When I first moved to Scotland in 1966 the standing joke was that only small boys and exiled Englishmen pursued coarse fish. It took a good number of years before our branch of the sport gained it's respectability and today coarse fish enjoy similar legal protections to those prevailing south of the border.

While the netting parties undoubtedly caused a severe decline in the quality of roach sport in the Perth reaches, they certainly didn't wipe out the stocks entirely, and there are plenty of fish in and around the harbour area but the current obsession with commercial fisheries has resulted in very few anglers targeting natural venues such as the Tay

JamesJa

Nice catch James and I notice the bankside vegetation is quite sparse.

With regards to the Tay roach; yes the game fishing fraternity did wage war on them but not in the Perth area. Netting here is virtually impossible due the the variation in river levels and flow rates caused by extremely high and variable tides.
During late spring, vast shoals of roach move upstream to spawn in the rivers' confluence with Loch Tay and the netting parties used to target them as they commenced their return downstream after spawning.

This practice continued for a good number of years, well into the late 1980s and over a period specimen fish by the ton were unceremoniously dumped on the river bank. When I first moved to Scotland in 1966 the standing joke was that only small boys and exiled Englishmen pursued coarse fish. It took a good number of years before our branch of the sport gained it's respectability and today coarse fish enjoy similar legal protections to those prevailing south of the border.

While the netting parties undoubtedly caused a severe decline in the quality of roach sport in the Perth reaches, they certainly didn't wipe out the stocks entirely, and there are plenty of fish in and around the harbour area but the current obsession with commercial fisheries has resulted in very few anglers targeting natural venues such as the Tay
Great insight thanks very much and thank you for all your input previously it certainly helped. It’s fair to say I’m already planning a quick session before work next week to finish off the last of the bait.
thanks again

Reuben

Site Supporter
Great report James. I’m in the Kirkcaldy area so might give this a go, it sounds excellent - I’ll have a look on google maps & have a drive up to scope it out. Can you park sort of right behind you?

JamesJa

Great report James. I’m in the Kirkcaldy area so might give this a go, it sounds excellent - I’ll have a look on google maps & have a drive up to scope it out. Can you park sort of right behind you?
Yeah the car park is very close