Mitten crabs 🦀

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
A question about Mitten crabs.

To my knowledge I’ve never in all my years of fishing the tidal Trent heard of any angler having problems with Mitten crabs or even crays. In the last month or so we seem to be inundated with the pesky things. It’s got so bad now that fishing a soft bait such as luncheon meat results in your bait being snatched away in the first five minutes. Even boilies are coming back looking half chewed. My question is ...... Will these pesky intruders be gone when the cooler weather arrives or are we now stuck with them as I’m sure some of you guys have had or are having this problem on your own waters.

Thanks.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
one of the accepted ways of moving cray away from your bait was to get an onion sack and fill it with catfood and scraps and net it out further up or downstream

maybe worth trying dude

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
:eek: For gawds sake don't tell the Mrs you've caught crabs Mick :cursing2:, could be the end of your "Barbel Fishing" :LOL::ROFLMAO:
😆😆😆. Hey Peter, I have heard that anglers while night fishing the Trent have had prostitutes knock on their bivvy door asking if the angler requires some ' female company '. Does anyone know on which stretch this happens please ? ...... Asking for a friend. 😆😆👍

Stufish

I was chatting with two lads barbel fishing on the Derwent near Derby and apparently they were getting pestered by crayfish.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
I can vouch for both of these... knackered by crays on the Derwent at Darley a couple of years ago, knackered by mitten crabs right at the top end of the tidal a couple of weeks ago :/ They're remarkably talented at clipping the hair off between the hook and bait...

Stufish

I can vouch for both of these... knackered by crays on the Derwent at Darley a couple of years ago, knackered by mitten crabs right at the top end of the tidal a couple of weeks ago :/ They're remarkably talented at clipping the hair off between the hook and bait...
These lads were fishing at darley abbey, from the gravel beach and casting to the island.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well I’d never heard of these every days a school day! Hope they don’t spread down this way we’ve only been seeing a decline in the crayfish for a few years so don’t need those things taking their place.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
In the UK I believe they were first recorded in the Thames and have caused massive damage to parts of the banking as they are a burrowing crab.