Mitchell reels ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

swanny

Does anybody have any comments on the Mitchell reels ? I was initially looking at purchasing the 'Okuma' although these were also stocked stocked at my local dealer he had grave concerns about them with regards spares and repairs, and he was very impressed with the 'Mitchell copper' 7 ball bearings 39.99 RRP. 49.99.
I am really unsure which one to go for, any comments would be appreciated.[;)]
Does anybody know the Mitchell website ?? Cheers[:eek:)]

p.sw

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Swanny,

Pure Fishing handle all the UK and most of the US distribution for Mitchell and Abu Garcia which are now under the same umbrella.

Here is a link to the Mitchell side of the company: http://www.fishmitchell.com/

If the new mitchell reels are anything like the 410 and 300's of old then you should have no problem with them and they come from a good manufacturer

Regards,

Dave

Ian C

Hi Swanny,

Heere is the website which gives info on the reels

http://www.fishmitchell.com/Products.cfm?Type=Reels

That link is to the US site, not sure of the URL to a UK site.

I'm not familiar with the reel you mention, but I own a Mitchell Full Runner 600 electronic. I use this as a backup reel now, as I have just bought a couple of Shimano Long casts, but prior to buying those I was using the mitchell all the time. I never really have any problems whith it, but then I only used it for about 3 months.
Maybe if you told us what the reel would be used for we could say if we thought it would be suitable, or maybe suggest a viable alternatve.

Ian C

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I have just recently bought a pair of okuma dyna drag bait runners cheapo's I know but they are onyl as a back up to my shimanos. I was suprised how smooth they are and they came with a 5 year guarantee. 20 squid a piece cant be bad.

chill out go fishing

swanny

Thanks for the comments guys, I would be using the reel for mainly feeder work on commercials, canal work for carp up to 7lb. The Mitchell copper is a brand new model for 2003. Although I do like the sounds of the Okumas and have not heard a bad word said about them,I am bound to be the one who has a problem !!! Then what happens !! 2-3 months without a reel ?? I have also looked at the shimano Aero's and they also look the dogs wosits...HELP PLEASE.....[;)]

p.sw

wilkeskf

Hi Swanny, Have heard good reports on new Mitchells from relations who fish. My favourite is a late model original 300 (with better final drive, but fitted with the original line guide, non roller, needs slight mod!!). Slightly off your topic, I know; there is a web site for older Mitchells, giving drawings and part numbers which may be of interest to some people: - http://www.cardinalguy.com/index.htm I can`t remember this site being refered to before.

hull tyke

swanny i have a 300x and 300pro both brilliant reels have used them for float and feeder fishing wish i had bought them before the shimanos

Lid

I own a Mitchell 300 I bought mail order in about 1979. I have never been happy with it, although I still use it now. A few years later I even wondered if it was a fake.

My main beef is the drag which seems to be inconsistent, sometimes working, sometimes not when on the same setting. I find I can never get it as I want it. It's either too loose and so when you wind it gives out line, or too tight and when a decent fish dives suddenly, you lose it. I gave up trying to use the damn thing properly and mainly backwind now.

After a 15 year break from fishing, I started again this year, after my 7 year old daughter became very interested, and want to get me a decent reel for about 40. I want to use it for chub, barbel, medium carp, etc.. Anyone got any advice? I was thinking of the new Mitchell 300X, which has some good reviews somewhere. Does anyone else recommend it?

Leighton

Last edited:

The Witness

Swanny,
If the new Mitchells are anywhere near as good as the old ones you wont go wrong.
I bought a Mitchell 301 when I was 16 and it's still going strong 36 years on.So if you want a reel that will last a lifetime give the Mitchell a whirl.
Tight lines,
Richard.

mike s

I've a 300X that I use for the feeder, but I've also got 2 440 matches, 2 300's & a 330. I still prefer the 440's to the 300X as the larger spool diameter just seems to work BETTER!

"Wot, no Fish!"

Nick

Im not an expert as you will se from the topics I have posted but I have been drooling over the 300 PRO for some tiem and finally got one a xmas, its a work of art and it is really smooth to use all I need now is soem spare spools as I cant see myself going back to the Cardinal, its just not the same !

pritch

swanny had a pair of mitchell match 440 a for 30 years still like new, only replaced bail springs , they last for ever and have had some hammer over the years catching big chub and barbel and bream in ireland. good servicing centre to at middlewich were they will service reels for good price, come back like new

Lid

Just received my new (Christmas pressie) Mitchell 300X reel and as everione said, it's great!!

mike s

Every time I see my Pure Fishing rep. I ask him the same question-"when are you bringing out a shallow spool for the 300x/Pro"?
I still haven't had an answer!
IMO it's the only thing missing(except an autobail as good as the 440's).

"Wot, no Fish!"

Lid

Hi Mike

When you get an answer, please would you post it here. Cheers.

Lid

Lid

I've just this minute loaded up one spool on my brand new Mitchell 300X for tomorrow's trip with Finkelbunt. [8D]

I noticed that there is about 3-4 mm of up down play in the skirted spool holding part of the reel. What I mean is if you take hold of the spool, you can move it up and down the skirt holder (ooo err).

Is this normal, as it seems rather a lot to me [?] It also makes a slight tapping sound when you are winding and the spool reaches its lowest point [?] Is this OK too [?]

Thanks

Lid - formerley known as Leighton [:)]

Last edited:

mike s

Lid, is the line lay on the spool OK?
The tapping sound could be the spool hitting the rotor & "bottoming out", if so then see your dealer as this shouldn't happen.

"Wot, no Fish!"

Lid

When I started filling the spool, the line didn't fill all the way to the bottom of it. By the time I had finished though, it looked normal!

I bought it mail order. That's the main downside of mail order - when you find something may be not quite right. I'll give em a call later.

Just called 'em and they think it is faulty. Got to take my line off and send it back now. [:(!]
Lid

Last edited:

Nick

As much as I love my shiny new 300X PRO just though to warn anyone that you cannot get spare alloy spools for love nore money even from pure fishing who cant tell me when they will get anymore!

You can get the graphite spools but why pay 60 quid for a good reel and be stcuk with inferior spools.

At this rate I will end up buying annother reel!

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.