Mitchell Match 440a - sensible purchase price secondhand?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’ve been thinking about my dad a lot lately, mostly due to this site, and about the kit he fished with back in the day.

When he first was diagnosed with cancer and finished work fishing helped him a lot through treatment and afterwards.

One of the things he had was a blue 440a with the finger dab auto bail arm release which I loved but never got to fish with very often.

Sadly when I lost my house I also lost a great deal of other stuff that was in it including dad’s kit, all I have of his now are his woodcarving chisels, and I’ve been thinking of trying to get some bits together like he used to use.

I see a lot of Mitchell Match reels on eBay and such but with a very wide price spread and was wondering what folks feel is a sensible price for one of these, ideally with an extra spool, in decent condition?

Rich123

While I paid a lot for mine, I've never used it to be honest. Just take care you don't get caught up in a sentimental purchase, you may never use Buddy, like I did?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
While I paid a lot for mine, I've never used it to be honest. Just take care you don't get caught up in a sentimental purchase, you may never use Buddy, like I did?
That’s what has me asking - it will definitely get used as my club has gorgeous stretches of rivers such as the Beult that are perfect for using the Mitchell on.

Dont want to get turned over just because it’s something I’d love to have

Reuben

Site Supporter
Have a look on EBay for the average sold price. I dare say condition would play a big part but remember you’re buying blind anyway. I had one back in the day but didn’t really get on with it - fingers too stubby to reach the spool. That’s why I used the Daiwa 1657DM.

Truly

Site Supporter
Bide your time and look on Facebook Marketplace too. When one comes up, condition is everything, as some are simply worn up. The finger dab can be temperamental, so ensuring that everything works properly is important.
£30 + postage at cost, is a fair price, however all sorts of silly prices are asked on both Ebay and FB Mkt.
Whilst I still have mine from the early1970s, I have recently bought some 300s for pike and chub fishing. I bided my time and ended up getting three, in very good condition, for £40, so bargains are out there if you're patient. Old MItchells are like Marmite, some love them, whilst others would throw them in the bin.

Rich123

If you could buy a mint one like mine was, then its up to you on price really. I'd pay £80+ for a cracker?

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
One on Gumtree at the moment £35 with 2 spare spools and spool containers .
I was tempted ,but would be buying for buyings sake, also got the Daiwa 1657M ,had that since they first came out in the 80's
Gumtree Ad number 1447635969
Its Milton Keynes area ,seller called Jill

Last edited:

michael1949

I never owned a Mitchell Match back in 70s, as they were too expensive for me at the time. I settled for the cheaper Abu 506. About ten years ago,I rather like you, decided I would like one, and bought one off e bay. I stripped it down, spent time getting it to work as I would like it to, and found I thoroughly enjoyed the process. So I bought another, and did the same again.I found there is a dedicated Mitchell collectors forum that informs you all about the long list of Mitchell reels built since the very beginning of the Company.These guys collect them, and quite often they appear to change hands at rather high prices, but they are very often mint examples.
So, Mitchell reels are like many “old” things in life, they become collectable by certain people, and they are usually always looking for the best examples to acquire.You could if you so wished obtain one by keeping a careful eye on the market place, but the best examples will cost you very often as much as a modern day quality reel.That’s not to say you can’t find a perfectly serviceable and usable reel for much less money, but it may look a little less than new.

I would be mindful not to go for the bargain basement ones you will see on e bay, but be prepared to spend a little more for a decent one. Cheap ones are around £30-£35, better ones £50-£60.Obviously there will be variations at times, and you may just pick up a bargain for a silly price.

The great thing about Mitchell reels is the ease with which they can be worked on should you be of a mind to do so.You can still buy spares for them too if you watch the various sites. If not, just buy the one that suits you best.

Simon R

Site Supporter
There's a Facebook group called 'The Crabtree Bazaar' which sees members buying and selling gear of a certain vintage.
Mitchell 440s come up fairly often and I would suggest that a perfectly usable one shouldn't be a lot more than fifty quid.
I've got one that I bought second-hand in the 80s - I don't use it often but it still works perfectly despite minimal maintenance.

Simon

Aztecca

Site Supporter
If its going ro be used you want one thats properly working.I wouldn't pay more than £30-£40 personally.Unless I wanted a mint one to sit on a shelf on display.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Definitely not going to be a shelf ornament.

Stupid question but is there a difference between the black and blue models ? Dad’s was blue.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I picked one up at the Romsey vintage sale in october for £45 with 2 spare spools and a zipped case... there are plenty about and enough to take your pick... loads on the Bay of E

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Definitely not going to be a shelf ornament.

Stupid question but is there a difference between the black and blue models ? Dad’s was blue.
The black ones were earlier and often called Otomatics

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Have found many 440a on FB, free ads, and the bay within reasonable distance of me and most around the £40 mark - seems to be the average price.

Condition is extremely variable from what I’ve seen so far and that’s a bit of a concern.

I have that nagging worry that if it’s paintwork is pristine is that a sign it’s never been used because the mechanicals are shot ?

Reuben

Site Supporter
Have found many 440a on FB, free ads, and the bay within reasonable distance of me and most around the £40 mark - seems to be the average price.

Condition is extremely variable from what I’ve seen so far and that’s a bit of a concern.

I have that nagging worry that if it’s paintwork is pristine is that a sign it’s never been used because the mechanicals are shot ?
Not necessarily imo.

JLK

I used to use Mitchell match 840a's many years ago for still water waggler fishing. I think they were a 6:1 gear ratio and I'm pretty sure mine were a really dark green colour. Lots of folk didn't like them for river fishing because they apparently caused bad line twist. Honestly can't remember that being the case as I was only a teenager back then and if they did I probably didn't even notice.

Simon R

Site Supporter
The 840 was the high speed version of the standard match - identical other than the internal gearing and the position of the anti-reverse lever.
Much rarer than the standard 440 - and consequently command a higher resale price.
It wasn't general line twist they caused - more pig-tailed hook-lengths - especially with baits like double maggot or caster - 12oz-1lb breaking strain hook-lengths were common and when you get them twisted up you'd have to replace them.

Simon