Mitchell 300

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Got a couple of reels from an auction,Mitchell 300 and Shimano GT 4000 baitrunner. They turned up today, and to my surprise and joy, they are both new, in boxes, but the boxes are a bit tatty. Only saw a pic online and thought they looked nice, so had a punt and got them for a lot less than the bid I left. My question is, the 300 is the black version (or maybe VERY dark blue) , is this the older or newer version ? I had 410 & 440A late 70's early 80's and they were the light blue colour.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
My 440 is blue
My match was blue, but I've also seen them in black, which I thought was the same with all Mitchell reels depending on age. I really can't see why people get excited by them, they rotate the wrong way for a start, can't see me using it.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
300=black.... 400/410 dark blue... Match series usually a lighter blue, but the Early Otomatics (forerunners of the match) were black... the 800/810 were a very deep bronzey colour if I recal

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Were CAP reels anything to do with Mitchell? Got a half bail one somewhere, seem to recall it looking a bit Mitchell-ish.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
300=black.... 400/410 dark blue... Match series usually a lighter blue, but the Early Otomatics (forerunners of the match) were black... the 800/810 were a very deep bronzey colour if I recal
this ... BUT
  • early matches were a dark blue - similar to the 410
  • for the majority of the production run they were a paler blue
  • then for the last few years they were black
I have examples of all three.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
this ... BUT
  • early matches were a dark blue - similar to the 410
  • for the majority of the production run they were a paler blue
  • then for the last few years they were black
I have examples of all three.
The first Match style with the dab bale were called Otomatics and were all black... I gave one away...?????

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
yes - my late neighbour (sadly deceased) found an otomatic when he was clearing his garage out 5 years ago. He had been an angler back in the 60s - but turned to the dark side (golf).

I'll try to post a photo of 3 generations of "440 match" later .... I have also acquired some "hybrids" that people put together from different gens (black rotor with blue body for example ... yeuggh!)

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
My match was blue, but I've also seen them in black, which I thought was the same with all Mitchell reels depending on age. I really can't see why people get excited by them, they rotate the wrong way for a start, can't see me using it.
In the late 80s as a teen match fishing I used to fish wag N mag on big waters like Roundhay Park and Yeadon Tarn. Cast, Feed, Sink, Strike, Fish On. Every 30 seconds with 3oz - 4oz Roach. There was no better reel than the 440 for the job ??

TrickyD

Site Supporter
In the late 80s as a teen match fishing I used to fish wag N mag on big waters like Roundhay Park and Yeadon Tarn. Cast, Feed, Sink, Strike, Fish On. Every 30 seconds with 3oz - 4oz Roach. There was no better reel than the 440 for the job ??
I would just like to clarify my statement, the match was good, the 300 was the one I was referring to not understanding peoples obsession with. There was no better reel than the 440a, until the Ryobi Mastermatch landed in my paws, so much smoother.

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
I would just like to clarify my statement, the match was good, the 300 was the one I was referring to not understanding peoples obsession with. There was no better reel than the 440a, until the Ryobi Mastermatch landed in my paws, so much smoother.
As my local canal is now more overgrown I no longer use the tip rod. I only put my 300 into retirement 6 years ago. The last time I used it I had 50lb+ of Bream out of the cut ?

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Good evening gentlemen, my early seventies 330`s have had a couple of outings of late and I decided to put some fresh line on
a couple of match spools. I have three of them and they are in a pouch with my `Sunday best` Mitchell match which although I
bought new thirty years ago has only been used three times.

Trouble is I cannot find it, I was certain it was in an old fishing bag but I was wrong. Turned the loft/sheds/cupboards upside down
but no sign of it. The reel is literally as new and although I can live without it I`m getting really bugged over where it has gone:(

nutmeg

Site Supporter
I hated the 300 reel l had, overated rose tinted nostalgia glasses being worn, when guys talk about this antiquated reel.
They were better than other reels for a while, but soon got left behind, mostly in sheds and lofts and car boot sales gathering dust. everytime l used mine, especially if there was a breeze blowing, the line would end up behind the spool and wrapped up around the spindle, pure dross in my opinion, mine ended its days in a skip after l took my revenge on it with a 4lb lump hammer, along with 6 spare spools in there plastic cases.