Mission accomplished (with a little help from my friends!)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Some might say it was quite an ‘easy’ target, and it was initially meant for the Severn, but I had set myself the task of trotting for 10lb of silvers from a river and I did it today from the Worcs Stour on the weir I fish regularly. With a little help from my friends in the shape of 3 bonus Chub which pushed up the weight (not to mention all the advice I've had on here!)

Yesterday the river was 5 foot up as below, and had fell 4 foot today, so still a little bit up and lots of colour in the water which probably helped the bigger Chub come closer in where I was fishing.

View attachment IMG_2086.m4v

I only had a pint of maggots but loads of hemp so I started by just feeding hemp and it started quite slow but I did have 2 bigger Chub. It picked up when I started feeding maggots towards the end. I fished from 4 until 8 when the light started to fade so much I could no longer see the float. I should have started feeding maggots earlier but did not anticipate it getting dark so quick.

Fished a 5no4 stick with 16 B520 hook and 3 maggots as before. But enough rambling, I finished with 11lb 2oz as below.

2020-08-26 20.21.03.jpg

Probably less fish overall than my last session which did 8lb 4oz but the 3 nice Chub bumped up the weight so I'm counting that as Mission Accomplished, until I set myself a new target!

Last edited:

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Nice on chip, chuffed for you, always nice to reach a target. (y)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Well done mate, well fished. How did the 5 no 4 float hold up in that current?

I basically don't fish in the main flow, it's just too 'white' and too fast for me.

Below circled is the old 'danger zone' I'd cast to when legering. And you can't quite see it in that pic but where it says fish from here, I'm fishing on that side of the main flow now, the float kind of swirls around a bit in the eddy making it not the cleanest trot through but occasionally it does run quite nicely along the edge of the white water.

Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 20.56.10.png

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah 17ft Shakespeare LXL Super Team, I can fish it almost like a 'whip' just flicking it out at that length. :)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cheers all. It is a lovely spot even if there's only one peg there. I reckon 20lb+ is achievable and my next target for there (I've had 10 Chub for 30llb+ legering) but on the float if I fish for longer than 4 hours. :) ;) (y)

Total

Site Supporter
[QUOTE="tipitinmick, post: 2610293, member: 12617"
...... As always, great report and even some pictures for Total. 😆😆👍
[/QUOTE]

I take it from the comments above, you failed the Matrix interview?:p;):ROFLMAO:

Total

Site Supporter
Cheers all. It is a lovely spot even if there's only one peg there. I reckon 20lb+ is achievable and my next target for there (I've had 10 Chub for 30llb+ legering) but on the float if I fish for longer than 4 hours. :) ;) (y)

You'll get there.....Be patient.....;)(y)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
[QUOTE="tipitinmick, post: 2610293, member: 12617"
...... As always, great report and even some pictures for Total. 😆😆👍

I take it from the comments above, you failed the Matrix interview?:p;):ROFLMAO:
[/QUOTE]
I couldn't get a single pike on hemp in 5 hours. I failed. 😣

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Nice bag that especially considering it doesn’t look too friendly atm!

Cheers but it was much better today, had fallen 4 foot and so was almost back to usual levels, pretty amazed by how fast it had risen and fallen over a couple of nights! Bit of colour probably helped the bigger Chub into the slacker water at the edge.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Is fascinating how some rivers go up and down like a yo-yo and others don’t. Slacks like that can be packed with fish in such conditions, trotting just along the crease line can be a banker sometimes.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I couldn't get a single pike on hemp in 5 hours. I failed. 😣

Nicky Dodds saying....."Mick, office NOWWW!">>>>>>;):giggle:
[/QUOTE]
He makes it look so easy Mark. Seriously though, how Nicky catches anything with the amount of pike he draws into his swim ( and mine ) I'll never know. He'd have made a good mate for Neville Fickling. 😆😆