Missing Person - Staffordshire

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Image may contain: 1 person, close-up
Staffordshire Police
7 January at 22:03 ·
#MISSING: Emergency services were called to the River Dove at 2pm today (7 January) following concerns for a missing fisherman.
Roger Wheat, who is in his seventies, was last seen fishing from the riverbank near to Ellastone bridge. He was wearing a brown Barbour jacket, dark coloured trousers and wellington boots.
Thorough and co-ordinated searches have taken place in the area this afternoon and a police cordon is in place.
Anyone who has seen Roger or has any information is asked to send us a private message or call 101, quoting incident number 329 of 7 January.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
They had divers in the river yesterday, a lot of the bank is undercut so they are checking under tree roots etc. :(

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Any death is sad and that this is a fellow angler makes it more so for us in that community.

This though is the reason I now fish commercials and canals and have not fished rivers for many years. Quite simply I'm scared of what could happen if I fall in or be taken ill. I know many don't like commercials but in personal safety terms they are a fairly secure environment. Normally other people around and depths that mean you are able to stand up and pull yourself out should you take a dip.

Wellingborough and District Nene AC are halfway through installing 40 platforms on the main river at Ringstead. These will provide a safer bank from which to fish. While not to everyone's liking their improvement of the fishery in terms of safety cannot be denied. There will be 4 "disabled" platforms. 3m wide and thus able to accommodate an angler and carer/companion and with a board at the front to prevent wheelchairs from rolling off.

These platforms have made me re-think my self imposed ban on fishing the river and I hope to get on it before the season end. That is if it stops raining and the river level drops.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I agree with Brian, a sad ending and hopefully he didn'tsuffer too much! R.I.P Roger.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Any death is sad and that this is a fellow angler makes it more so for us in that community.

This though is the reason I now fish commercials and canals and have not fished rivers for many years. Quite simply I'm scared of what could happen if I fall in or be taken ill. I know many don't like commercials but in personal safety terms they are a fairly secure environment. Normally other people around and depths that mean you are able to stand up and pull yourself out should you take a dip.

Wellingborough and District Nene AC are halfway through installing 40 platforms on the main river at Ringstead. These will provide a safer bank from which to fish. While not to everyone's liking their improvement of the fishery in terms of safety cannot be denied. There will be 4 "disabled" platforms. 3m wide and thus able to accommodate an angler and carer/companion and with a board at the front to prevent wheelchairs from rolling off.

These platforms have made me re-think my self imposed ban on fishing the river and I hope to get on it before the season end. That is if it stops raining and the river level drops.
When I was a kid my Dad always used to secure me to a tree when we fished rivers. If there are platforms it is a simple job to fit a ring or a D link and, if you are worried it would be an easy matter to 'tie yourself off'.