Missing parcel?

davylad

Site Supporter
I think we've maybe had this crop up before but, what do you reckon?
My granddaughter ordered something online, and wanted it delivering to her flat, instead of a place where she could sign for it and pick it up from there. The parcel has gone missing, the courier took a photo of it sticking out of the letterbox, supposedly as proof of delivery. What if he or someone else then removed it, do you think this is good enough as proof of delivery? Oh the courier was DHL.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
They might as well not bother,if the driver is crooked he just takes it back out and DHL will say that someone else pinched it,when it happened to me and I complained to DHL the driver turned up the following day with the parcel he supposedly left the previous day !

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
They might as well not bother,if the driver is crooked he just takes it back out and DHL will say that someone else pinched it,when it happened to me and I complained to DHL the driver turned up the following day with the parcel he supposedly left the previous day !
This also happened to me, but different courier (D.P.D). After lodging a complaint, I didn't even get an apology.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Your problem is that DHL will not accept a complaint from the recipient, only the sender. Any claim for non receipt must be made to the sender. They employ the courier to act as their delivery agent.

The Distance Selling Regulations may offer some help.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I'm still waiting for a 155 quid rhino bootliner that I paid for, (including the German tax) from June! :-(

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
It appears the only two parcel delivery firms who actually know how to find our address are Amazon and Hermes. DPD, Yodel and others deliver to the same house number on two streets near us. Must be a new way of getting you to know your neighbours, deliver your parcels to them.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
On thinking of the original posters problems

I have come to the conclusion over the past few years, that the delivery firms that have caused me the least trouble in that time (I buy and sell a lot of stuff, tools, fishing gear etc, online)

is Royal Mail for small-large letter style parcels, and its companion service for larger items Parcel force, though this can be one of the more expensive services, though I have found that the costs can be near halved by using a local parcel supermarket type shop, who seem to be able to offer the lower cost as they send untold goods by them and share the discount with customers

other directly booked couriers I can recommend are APC for rods, they will take parcel lengths up to 2100mm as a standard though you have to book and pay through thier office, they collect from your home and are very good timewise on delivery, normally within 24hrs, I have nver had a damaged long parcel with them

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Most delivery drivers know what’s in the parcel aswell

OldTaff

Site Supporter
One of my neighbours posted footage onto our FB community page from their video doorbell of a DHL van driver putting a package part way into their letter box, photographing it then taking it back out

This prompted a spate of replies from people who’d had missing DHL packages and eventually DHL sent someone around the area to speak to people and sort out claims n person as a few items were small but very high value

Can see the attraction of these video systems now

Robwooly

Had two chaps going round this area following delivery drivers nicking from doorsteps, they are brazen, will wear hi viz jackets, carry what looks like a take away bag and hand held phone. Didn't fool me nor the guys who eventually caught them nicking their stuff before the police did.

They wont be coming back to the area in a hurry

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
As in all walks of life you'll always get someone who is light fingered, it doesnt mean that all are

:)
Definitely, if they know it’s worth taking they’ll take it. Kak never goes missing on route

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
when i have bought tackle online if coming by royal mail comes day they say
if sent by ups normally get email parcel coming today turns up day after

Philnun87

I had an issue with Hermes recently where they just threw the parcel in the floor of a porch and took a picture (it was the wrong house 🤦🏼‍♂️) - especially if you have paid extra for a signature the picture is apparently meant to be of the person standing there with the parcel, not just left etc.

Hermes were the most unhelpful company I have dealt with, worth checking the see what insurance cover that they offer (usually it’s pay x amount get cover up to a certain £) and trying to get the money back, I know it doesn’t solve this issue of the lost parcel though

davylad

Site Supporter
I've sent the sender a message explaining just what the situation is, I'll let you know the response I get. My cup's half full at the minute, so we'll see.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have a lock box and whenever I order I leave instructions to leave the parcel in the box if no reply. Had no issues and no missing parcels but a couple of delivery firms have to learn that the house number I give them refers to the street also named, not two streets away. Yodel, DPD and XDP have some issues with that.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
I had this delivery message from Dpd last week giving me a delivery time of between 10.32 and 11.32.

We won't ask you to sign for your parcel, we'll take a photo of it instead in your open doorway as proof it has been delivered. If you're self isolating, leave a signed note on your door, telling us where to put the parcel.

I opened the door and there was our new carpet cleaner,driver was in the van and gone.