Missing fish?......or still too early?

myopic

I regularly fish a medium size carp lake in the south of England which is generally productive with 5 to 10 pounders.

In the past maggots have never been an option for a bait as the place is full of small rudd which devour them as soon as they hit the water. One match on the water was won with over 80lb of rudd!

I have fished there twice in the last thee weeks, when the air temperature has been over 10 degrees. Had a few carp on small method feeder, but things were slow so decided to switch to maggot on the waggler for a bit of sport. No action whatsoever either time, whatever the depth and how slowly the bait fell through the water. The maggots were never touched. Used different colours of maggot, dead and alive. In the past on the rare occasion you got through the rudd, you would catch a roach or a gudgeon. This time absolutely nothing.

Is it just too early for them or could there be another explanation I am missing?

smiffy

Site Supporter
Probably still a bit early. Rudd can be fickle. I can think of two lakes in particular with plenty of Rudd in that could be difficult. One could throw up weights of over 100lb of Rudd except in matches, when they weren’t even targeted because they would disappear. The other was a lake that had never been fished but when opened was found to contain thousands of naturally stocked Rudd. You would catch for an hour or so after which they would disappear leaving you to wait until they did their circuit and you would catch for another hour or so. The only other species in that lake were Perch, also naturally stocked.
A lot depends on the size of the water. Both of my examples were 10acre+ lakes and gave the fish lots of hiding places and many pegs where the fish might not be. I know a few smaller waters where I’d expect to be catching all species by now with the exception of Tench maybe.
Could be Cormorants but don’t read too much into the lack of fish just yet👍 This time of year daytime temperatures don’t mean too much, It’s the night time temperatures you should be looking at. A bit of sun may see the Carp popping up to the surface though.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Rudd are definitely fickle alright. Had 3 sessions on my local commercial during the mild spell in February and got plagued with tiny ones. Then we got that spell of high day time temperatures but very cold mornings and the rudd all but disappeared allowing me to more easily get through to the roach and bream. Back there again this weekend hopefully and I assume a couple weeks without a frost will see the Rudd out in force again.

Backwoodsman

Site Supporter
Most decent Rudd I have caught have been midsummer time,must admit I am always pleased to catch a Rudd. Certainly they re a beautiful fish, first one I caught as a kid was at dringhouse lake at York.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
All you can do it keep feeding maggots every 30 seconds, until you get a bite.

Silver fan 82

I regularly fish a medium size carp lake in the south of England which is generally productive with 5 to 10 pounders.

In the past maggots have never been an option for a bait as the place is full of small rudd which devour them as soon as they hit the water. One match on the water was won with over 80lb of rudd!

I have fished there twice in the last thee weeks, when the air temperature has been over 10 degrees. Had a few carp on small method feeder, but things were slow so decided to switch to maggot on the waggler for a bit of sport. No action whatsoever either time, whatever the depth and how slowly the bait fell through the water. The maggots were never touched. Used different colours of maggot, dead and alive. In the past on the rare occasion you got through the rudd, you would catch a roach or a gudgeon. This time absolutely nothing.

Is it just too early for them or could there be another explanation I am missing?
How deep is the lake? I fish a lake that is between 10 - 15 feet deep. It has deep margins too. Its been really difficult as of late. Another lake that is half that depth is fishing quite well.
The deeper the water the longer it takes to warm up so the longer it may take the fish to become active? 🤷‍♂️

myopic

How deep is the lake? I fish a lake that is between 10 - 15 feet deep. It has deep margins too. Its been really difficult as of late. Another lake that is half that depth is fishing quite well.
The deeper the water the longer it takes to warm up so the longer it may take the fish to become active? 🤷‍♂️
Lake is only 5ft max so do not think it is that.

rudd

Site Supporter
When out walking we pass a tiny farm pond and in summer / autumn feed the rudd with blackberries that grow around it - loads of Rudd pile in to the berries.
The water is spring feed and clear - nkt seen a sign of a Rudd yet this year?
Expect they are in a tight ball in deepest part waiting for water temp to rise.