Missing bites

I like fish

I've been fishing the river medway today and I've been waggler fishing with bread and I've been missing so many bites I've had the float move about a bit and I left it to go under and when it went under I was striking and there was nothing and a majority of the time the bread Was still on the hook does anyone know why this is or was I doing something wrong

TrickyD

Site Supporter
It could just be the line dragging the float under. You could try fishing a stick/Avon type float , or a "loafer" top an bottom, this may give better presentation and bit indication.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
If the Medway is anything like it was yesterday lunchtime then it’s not bites but dragging bottom / eddies / underwater obstructions

It was going through like a train on the Moncktons stretch - tried dropshotting for perch and 3oz leads weren’t even holding bottom - so guessing all the sensible fish are still hiding up in the slack bits somewhere.

I like fish

Thank you
If the Medway is anything like it was yesterday lunchtime then it’s not bites but dragging bottom / eddies / underwater obstructions

It was going through like a train on the Moncktons stretch - tried dropshotting for perch and 3oz leads weren’t even holding bottom - so guessing all the sensible fish are still hiding up in the slack bits somewhere.
Thank you

I like fish

It could just be the line dragging the float under. You could try fishing a stick/Avon type float , or a "loafer" top an bottom, this may give better presentation and bit indication.
How do I plumb the depth of a river/stream or do I not need to

OldTaff

Site Supporter
On the Medway with a flippin heavy plummet - I’ve done it with a float rod when the river was slack (last year) and found 9’ at my feet with 14’ down the central channel of the first three pegs at the Moncktons stretch & pretty much the same down by the rowing club towards the lock.

All my whip rigs are tied to 4m and I manage ok with those most of the time.

Not fished town stretch yet but guessing it won’t be much different

TrickyD

Site Supporter
How do I plumb the depth of a river/stream or do I not need to
Set the float to the depth you think it may be, cast with the plummet downstream of your float, and adjust accordingly. You could also have a guess at the depth, cast and trot a few times. if the float doesn't go under, increase the depth till you find the depth, or if it drags under, shallow up. Using a top and bottom float takes some getting used to, casting,shotting, mending line (doesn't mean the line has broken). Usually use a top and bottom when fishing up to 3 or 4 rod lengths out. @MarkW has some videos on stick float fishing, do a search of the site, and have a look, seems to be a dying art nowadays. It is also easier to adjust the depth to find where the fish are feeding.
I was going to ask a question about a river, possibly the Medway, a stretch near Teapot island, does anyone know if it is free fishing there ? (sorry for the hijack)

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Been a while since I fished Monckton's section- I used a feeder for bream. The river must be really full. Last time I fished it there were far fewer moored boats. Is drop shotting/jigging an alternative way forward now for that stretch around the boats?

Total

Site Supporter
It reads like to me like you're fishing the waggler off bottom and the bread bait is/has taken on water and is slowly sinking the float....:unsure:

OldTaff

Site Supporter
On the Medway with a flippin heavy plummet - I’ve done it with a float rod when the river was slack (last year) and found 9’ at my feet with 14’ down the central channel of the first three pegs at the Moncktons stretch & pretty much the same down by the rowing club towards the lock.

All my whip rigs are tied to 4m and I manage ok with those most of the time.

Not fished town stretch yet but guessing it won’t be much different
Set the float to the depth you think it may be, cast with the plummet downstream of your float, and adjust accordingly. You could also have a guess at the depth, cast and trot a few times. if the float doesn't go under, increase the depth till you find the depth, or if it drags under, shallow up. Using a top and bottom float takes some getting used to, casting,shotting, mending line (doesn't mean the line has broken). Usually use a top and bottom when fishing up to 3 or 4 rod lengths out. @MarkW has some videos on stick float fishing, do a search of the site, and have a look, seems to be a dying art nowadays. It is also easier to adjust the depth to find where the fish are feeding.
I was going to ask a question about a river, possibly the Medway, a stretch near Teapot island, does anyone know if it is free fishing there ? (sorry for the hijack)
CALPAC and Maidstone Victory both control stretches but I think there’s a free bit by one of the bridges

Have a look on FB for River Medway Freshwater Angling group and they tell you exactly where to go for free bits

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Been a while since I fished Monckton's section- I used a feeder for bream. The river must be really full. Last time I fished it there were far fewer moored boats. Is drop shotting/jigging an alternative way forward now for that stretch around the boats?
The river feels like it did in the middle of February, carrying so much water and debris but with many many more boats too

Only reason I was trying dropshot rig was because I get about 30mins fishing time during lunch break and had no maggots or casters to use a whip

No reason it shouldn’t work as last summer when the river was nice there were perch in abundance all along that stretch