Missing Bites..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolo

Today yet again on the pole I seem to struggle connecting with the bites, I do what I've been told '' lift up '' but more often than not I miss the bites, do I strike when the float is on its way down, when its fully under or just bobbling? Think I need some help.

Thanks alot.

pole addict

It may be line bites or very small fish.

What bait, hook size,depth of water, intended species?

Bill G

Grandad
a lot depends on what bait you are fishing ,the size of your hook ,and the species that are present in the water.

bait first and it could be that you are masking the point of the hook.
i dont know what you are using but try and make sure you are not fishing too big a bait for the hook size.
is there a large amount of small fish in the water ,if so its probably them that is just nipping the bait and making your float do a jig.
paste is a bait that gets hammered by small stuff ,as does corn .
it might be none of the above but purely a striking fault.
how much line do you fish with between pole tip and float ,too long and your strike will be just that bit late .too short and they might be feeling a resistance against your pole top.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Make sure that your float is dotted down as far as you can go and still see it. It is worth the effort getting the shotting perfect. I recall fishing a slow moving drain in high summer a few years ago where you could see the line sitting on the surface above the float. The float was dipping but not going under. I put a backshot on and sunk the line and suddenly started to get bites I could hit. The fish were feeling the resistance of pulling the line through the surface tension. That taught me a lesson about sensitivity of the fish to resistance.

Even in a ripple, dot the float down so it rides through the ripple, appearing and disappearing as the crests pass. You'll still be able to see when the float buries.

Start by waiting for bites to completely bury the float. In time you can strike at other indications like lifts and sideways movements. You also have to get the fine balance between striking too fast/hard and lifting too slowly.

I tend not to have any shot near the hook at the start of a session. I will change this as conditions and the fish dictates. I think that this allows the fish to take the bait with confidence without feeling any odd resistance. So for a lot of my fishing the bulk is at 12 inches above the hook and nothing below.

If you are getting little dips and so on without the float burying when using large baits try putting something smaller on the hook and seeing if it is small fish that can't take the large bait in their mouths. Neil Machin in Fisho on Saturday was using tiny pieces of paste (pea size) and getting skimmers. They were not taking a larger piece of paste.

Rolo

What do you mean by a backshot mate? Also, I fish in about 3 and a half foot of water and there is all types of fish like, carp, tench, bream, crucian and all silvers, fish with a size 16 hook with corn or 6mm pellet on the hook. Don't know if that helps at all?

supersuperleeds

Originally posted by Rolo

What do you mean by a backshot mate? Also, I fish in about 3 and a half foot of water and there is all types of fish like, carp, tench, bream, crucian and all silvers, fish with a size 16 hook with corn or 6mm pellet on the hook. Don't know if that helps at all?

a back shot is a piece of shot between the float and the pole tip, it helps sink the line, not sure whereabouts on the line you put i

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Backshot will normally be something like a No. 8 or 10 placed 1-2 inches above the eye. This ensures the line doesn't sit in the surface tension. Its not something I use all the time but it is worth trying if bites are iffy. Also in breezy conditions it can help by sinking the line and thus preventing the wind from towing the float out of position with pressure on the line.

On windy days it can help to put something like a BB 6-12 inches below the pole tip. This ensures none of the line is in the wind.

Set up sounds fine for the larger fish. I would tend to think of a 4mm expander with an 18 or 20 for the skimmers and silvers. Dotting the float down is crucial for crucians as they can be very shy biters. Assuming you are using 6mm expanders you could try an 18 or 20 hook. The way I use small hooks with large expanders is to put a baiting needle through the pellet across the grain and pulling the hook through so the hook is buried. By across the grain I mean across the cylindrical sides of the pellet not end to end. The extrusion process tends to put a grain in the pellet.

My guess would be that you are getting small silvers picking up the 6mm pellet and not being able to get it in their mouths.

Status
Not open for further replies.