Missing bites on sweetcorn

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob27

peg nine
Hi all,
Yesterday I went fishing on my local canal and had loads of bites(and a few fish) on double sweetcorn on a size 14 kamasan B611 hook using the lift method only fault is I kept missing 80% of them, the species was tench of a few pound. The previous day I used the exact same set up and connected with most of my bites. Any ideas why I missed so many bites?
Thanks

scouse

'River Man'
hi rob
why not try this, squeeze the kernal out
and just put the skin on the hook
it works for me if i am missing bites
try it you never know
dave(scouse)

dave
scouse

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Why not try a larger size hook. I use a size 10 for 2 grains of sweetcorn. This avoids the chance oh the grain either twisting and covering the point of the hook or of the grain masking the hook point.

chill out go fishing

ferret

Rob, fish do wise up and as you said you had a good day previous.
A few things to try.

1 piece of corn,14 is well big enough.
2 pieces on an 8 or 10
Different colour, corn dyes really easy with ordinary food colouring, even two tone works.
Move lift shot anything upto 2 or 3 feet from the hook,this will give less resistance to taking fish,but you probably wont get lift bites on the long tail.
Try BREAD!! especially flake on about a 6.
Mini boilies tinca tinca love em.

MIKE
Ah! Not Fishing again.
RSSG Member you betcha!

Ray Owen

'Nomad'
Hello mate,

Thats sound advice from ferret i would do the same extend the hook length and go to a single piece of corn.

Good stuff Ferret mate

Tight lines

Ray

Alnath

Last Tuesady i caught 24lb of Bream on (unsuprisingly) a size 20 Kamasan B611 using a single grain of corn on the hook. FWIW i hook the corn so only 1 or 2 mm of the corns skin is hooked this way when i strike the corn comes off and leaves a clear hook to get the fish.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Rob,
When I fished Makins with MALC, he used the same method as Dave Scouse describes, ie squeezing the kernel out (didn't let on 'til the end though lol)
We both caught 18 fish (one of mine foul hooked!} but he outweighed me by more than double, caught a lot better stamp than I did fishing maggot!
It's certainly worth a try as I saw it happen!

Good Luck

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

rob27

peg nine
thanks for all your help, some good ideas there - will definetely try them

MALC

Rob
Another little ploy to try if the bites are finicky is to squeeze out the contents of the kernal and place a floating caster in side and put a small hook through them both and fish this at dead depth (corn just touching bottom) it works great for finicky Crucians as well.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com bounce.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.